Next Season

Lets talk some Hoops!
Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Re: Next Season

Post by Deltaguy1 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:29 pm

Thank you. Some great insight and hope (?).

Keep us informed.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:16 am

Deltaguy1 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:29 pm
Thank you. Some great insight and hope (?).
Yeah, I think that's the best way to put it; "hope".

There is certainly reasons to suggest CCSU could make a significant run up the standings next season (if there even IS a season); Experience, continuity, a league that lost a ton of talent, plugged holes (point guard, rebounding).

Of course, those of you who are skeptical are reasonably so. A lot of good would have to happen for them to sneak into the top 4. But I wouldn't think they'll have to struggle to get into the NEC Tournament next year.

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:59 am

Damn, Donyell is still trying to defend the overuse of the mid-range jumper! This makes me nervous.

Donyell on Twitter; “My question would be. Do you listen to the person everyone says is the GOAT or do you listen to analytics. Cause from what hear so many people say today is. That’s the worst shot in basketball.”

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 pm

The mid range jumper is good when it is shot by the GOAT (I assume DM is referring to Jordan, who took them with great frequency) because it goes in for a high percentage. Most mortal basketball players do not shoot like that, and for them it is better to attempt a three (for a shooter who can do it at +33%) or a short range shot.
And by the way, imhop Bill Russell was the GOAT!!!!

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:55 pm

Bottom line, DM is not a fan of analytics. He’s basically got another year to turn the ship around. I just hope he can do it. Not looking forward to a new coaching staff, a bunch of mass exodus and more losing.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:32 pm

Of course I too am rooting that DM can turn things around. But based on what i have seen my confidence level is very low.
As far as analytics go, they are a valuable tool and I am sure that DM uses them. How could anyone with his experience not?
But I don't have any problem with a coach who occasionally follows his gut feeling.
The only standard for judging a Head Coach is wins.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:57 am

Here’s one for you. So if covid ruins basketball as well as football, what happens to DM’s contract? Can they renew on single digit wins?Assuming all these coaches will get paid if the season is cancelled (I hope) so then what? Contract would’ve over correct?

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:51 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:Here’s one for you. So if covid ruins basketball as well as football, what happens to DM’s contract? Can they renew on single digit wins?Assuming all these coaches will get paid if the season is cancelled (I hope) so then what? Contract would’ve over correct?
Considering the unusual circumstances, they could agree to a one year extension and take it from there.
Other than that any contract renewal would be dependent upon performance (wins). Which would probably mean there would be a new HC
And it might very well be the low cost route (judging by football and WBB ),,, one of the assistants.
My choice for a successor would be the same as it was when Howie retired....Patrick Sellers

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:11 pm

Amen on Patrick. Each year he’s not there is a mistake

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:39 am

hilltopper wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:51 pm
ccsuhoops wrote:Here’s one for you. So if covid ruins basketball as well as football, what happens to DM’s contract? Can they renew on single digit wins?Assuming all these coaches will get paid if the season is cancelled (I hope) so then what? Contract would’ve over correct?
Considering the unusual circumstances, they could agree to a one year extension and take it from there.
Other than that any contract renewal would be dependent upon performance (wins). Which would probably mean there would be a new HC
And it might very well be the low cost route (judging by football and WBB ),,, one of the assistants.
My choice for a successor would be the same as it was when Howie retired....Patrick Sellers
Ive been a Pat Sellars advocate for like 10 years now. If the current bag of lemons we got handed in 2020 hangs on... DM should get 1 year max to "finish" the turn-around.If DM cant make it to a .500 season - gone...
Heck Pat wouldn't even have to move from Farifield to come to work at CCSU.
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:25 am

We won't know anything until we see what kind of season is played, if any.

I'm a huge Pat Sellers fan as well, but I'm also excited about the next generation of CCSU alumni in the coaching ranks. We got Obie (a former CCSU assistant coach) doing some work in the NBA scouting/development, plus guys like Shemik Thompson coaching HS in Delaware and Terrell Allen coaching prep school in Virginia.

Don't forget some great coaches come from Central - Dickenman and Zuffelato (Basketball); Campo, Sherman, Bagnoli, and Addazio (Football).

I like the kids we graduated recently from the program - they have bright futures.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:40 am

“My choice for a successor would be the same as it was when Howie retired....Patrick Sellers.” hilltopper.
“Amen on Patrick. Each year he’s not there is a mistake.” ccsuhoops.
“I’ve been a Pat Sellers advocate for like 10 years now.” Larryl9797.
“I'm a huge Part Sellers fan as well,” J.J.

This is what pollsters refer to as “high favorables.” If this were an election, you would not need Nate Silver to forecast the outcome.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:28 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:51 pm
This probably deserves its own thread, but I've been thinking about this a lot and figured it'd be fun to scope out candidates for the CCSU job if/when it opens.

*****To be clear, this is not about "should Marshall be fired or not"- hell, I'm expecting a solid season in 2020-21. This is more of a list of guys who should be called WHEN the job opens, whenever that happens and for whatever reason (acknowledging that some of these guys may not be available at that point).

Obviously Pat Sellers is the 1st call- he HAS to be. He's currently on the staff at Fairfield (kind of ironic that his boss is Jay Young, huh?), and I think he'd be EVERYONE'S choice to be the next HC. He's got the background, the experience, and would just fit so well in just about every way imaginable.

The rest in no order, and obviously not an exhaustive list, but some names I've come across. They're all young and good at what they do.

Matt Kingsley- Yale Associate Head Coach- Graduated from Wesleyan in 1998 (holds the all-time record for career three-pointers), coached at St. Thomas More under Jere Quinn, and also sent time at Eastern Connecticut St. as the Associate Head Coach in 2003 and 2004. He would also be one of my first calls.

Steve Curran- St. Bonaventure Associate Head Coach- Was an Assistant under Howie from 2005-2010, also coached at Robert Morris (2001-2004) and has been at St. Bonaventure since 2010. Played and coached at Merrimack, also coached at New Hampshire, so he knows the Northeast intimately.

T.J. Sorrentine- Brown Associate Head Coach- Played at Vermont, from Rhode Island, joined the Brown staff in 2008 and was named Associate Head Coach in 2011.

Chris Markwood- Northeastern Assistant- From Maine, initially played at Notre Dame before transferring to UMaine, where he eventually became an assistant coach. He then coached at UVM before landing at Northeastern.

Kyle Cieplicki- Vermont Associate Head Coach- Played at UVM (three year captain), graduating in 2008. Coached at Brown, then has been at UVM since 2011.

Chris Casey- Fairfield Assistant- Was an assistant at CCSU from 2001-2006. Played at WestConn, was the head coach at Niagara for 6 years (went 153-200), and was also the HC at LIU Post from 2010-2013, going 62-25.

There are plenty more names we can add for sure.

GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:23 pm

So now that the NEC canceled fall sport competitions. What is everyone's feeling on the Basketball season. I just dont want to except that there may be no season. Would loved to have responded to the coaching prospects but I am just not knowledgeable on the subject.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:01 pm

GameDay wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:23 pm
So now that the NEC canceled fall sport competitions. What is everyone's feeling on the Basketball season. I just dont want to except that there may be no season. Would loved to have responded to the coaching prospects but I am just not knowledgeable on the subject.
First off, I feel the NEC missed the mark. They could have and should have done an NEC only schedule. It could have been done safely with fans. Alas, they chose to cancel. Seeing as basketball is actually indoors, during flu season, I can't see how they don't hide from that as well. My guess at this point is college ball on our level will be cancelled until a vaccine is made available. See you all in September 2021... I hope... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x