New Engineering Building

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

New Engineering Building

Post by newbritainite » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:27 pm

"CCSU NEW ENGINEERING BUILDING
New Britain, Connecticut
Construction documents are complete and construction is about to begin on the 93,000 gsf new Engineering Building for the School of Engineering, Science and Technology at Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) in New Britain, CT. With a $44.8M construction budget, the facility will create innovative, high-tech lab, research, instructional and collaborative student spaces that support CCSU’s undergraduate and graduate programs in mechanical, electrical, computer, and civil engineering. Featured spaces include multiple robotics labs for the University’s robust robotics programs and a double-height structures lab for testing materials. Independent and student project spaces are dispersed throughout the building to promote project based learning and student collaboration outside of dedicated instructional and lab spaces. Prominently located in the center of the CCSU campus, the new building will strengthen, expand and showcase the university’s commitment to STEM education and interdisciplinary collaboration. "

https://www.amentaemma.com/ccsu-new-eng ... m-k0gzo9fw

CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 * 2019
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: New Engineering Building

Post by hilltopper » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Now I am waiting for this construction to cause the closure of the one open side of the Detrick Gym, and since the Huang center is still ongoing and that side will be closed too...... there will be no seating next year in the Detrick Gym. #-o

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:40 am

#wheresourathleticfacility???

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:34 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:40 am
#wheresourathleticfacility???
I heard that the plan is to build the new engineering facility to attract freshmen engineering majors and after four+ years one may graduate with a degree in architecture, spend a few years at an architectural/engineering firm and eventually CCSU (through DAS) may hire that firm to design a new athletic facility.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Skyhawkct wrote:I heard that the plan is to build the new engineering facility to attract freshmen engineering majors and after four+ years one may graduate with a degree in architecture, spend a few years at an architectural/engineering firm and eventually CCSU (through DAS) may hire that firm to design a new athletic facility.

So you are saying there is hope #-o

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Seriously Hill, a couple years after the D-1 move, a team from CCSU travelled to UMass to scope out the Mullens Center as a model for what could be done at CCSU.

I was about 32 then and thought I would see a new arena relatively soon.

I just turned 64 last month and I finally realized that if I ever see a new arena, I’d bee looking down on it...or more likely up.

Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:14 pm

Newly arrived in the last few days, are the updated drawings and a couple of actual, current images of several buildings. Go to: https://www.ccsu.edu/facilitiesmanageme ... jects.html

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:23 pm

Delta... you beat me to it on the same day. ;p

The library addition looks more significant than I had anticipated.

I like the look of the new south garage... fits well in the neighborhood as it looks like a building.

The expansion to Barnard Hall is very small... not sure why they opted for the version to not look like the new WD Hall.

The engineering facility looks amazing. Tall up front and lots of curb appeal but no big in the back.

I heard another expansion to the student center is next.
CCSU Class of 2004
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!

Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:44 pm

Thanks. I'd like to hear more about that Student Center expansion.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:18 am

Yeah the Barnard expansion seems fairly limited, but I believe there is major reconstruction going on inside the main building.

The reason for this design is two fold. One...limited space and 2...WD were two buildings that were essentially connected while Barnard is just one with, as I stated, limited space.

Several years ago, the library expansion was planned to be much larger but as years passed and media technology continued to improve, physical expansion wasn’t necessary, hence the new engineering building.

This is the first time I heard of any work planned on the Student Center but it would be welcome. However, I don’t know where it would go except “up”. There isn’t any room in any other direction.

Like everything else on campus, space is tight around the Student Center and we won’t see any expansion outside of the perimeter road boundaries in our lifetimes.

IMHO, Sanford needs to be the next building slated for renovation.

By the way, if this hasn’t been posted here yet, it comes at an appropriate time for us.

https://collegegazette.com/10-best-hidd ... w-england/

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:15 pm

I’m looking for the article in which Dr. Toro mentioned a future student center expansion.

I am in support of this as well as:
- adding another 1000 residence students to campus
- a convocation center
- replacement of Sanford Hall
- a new fine arts building

Other than that, the campus transformation is everything and more than I expected 15 years ago.
CCSU Class of 2004

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Thx NB

It all sounds good. I agree that Sanford and the Fine Arts building need replacement. When I was a Freshman, the fine arts was an elementary school that the college students used for teacher training. I think it was called “Stanley School”.

What we see now is a shell build around the old school.

The convocation center is, IMHO, the most overdue structure on the list. I won’t see it in my lifetime but you might. 😜