11/5 vs. Hartford

Lets talk some Hoops!
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 11/5 vs. Hartford

Post by hilltopper » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:42 pm

BB92 wrote:Ok, let's step back and take a breath.
Okay...(deep breath)....I am more objective now.
There is some good BB talent on this team, but it needs to be developed.
But the bottom line is that we have yet another year of being one of the worst teams in the entire nation.

Is there any surprise that Krishnan can't play?
Of course not, did we actually expect that our best 3 point shooter was just going to put on a uniform and play?
Why would you think that?

Remember, the bottom seed in the NEC tournament is a bad D1 team, and we have not even been able to reach that level.
How many rebuilding years are necessary before a program is actually rebuilt?

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:53 pm

I get all the pessimism, and I'm not a DM apologist, but many of you are overlooking the fact that there is more talent on this team than there has been in a decade. They played like freshmen last night, and this season could be rough. But if you didn't expect that coming in, I dont know what to tell you. They are literally one of the youngest teams in D1.

Marshall made a mistake by going after JUCO guys two years ago...and his initial recruiting class gave him essentially nothing. But he's playing with an absolute joke of a budget, even for an NEC program, yet has brought in some really good freshmen in Baker, Outlaw, Reed, Tennyson, and Wilson. Will it work out? Who knows. But you should have a bit of hope at this point.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:41 pm

J.J. wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:26 pm
I'm not going to go all negative here, I will support the team and let this season play out, but I'm not buying the "rebuilding" story that is being sold.

The rebuilding effort began on April 6, 2016. It is now November 6, 2019 and were are "rebuilding" yet again. I need a better explanation of why we are restarting (again) now.

Sorry, but the last 3 seasons wasn't the time to figure things out and then come up with a plan. It isn't like we were playing with "house money" - Howie's final decade was a slow decline. We were trending down and the changing of the guard was the time to change our trajectory. Unfortunately the decline has continued. There isn't a single person to blame, but collectively what they want is for fans to ignore the last decade and have faith we've finally got a plan moving forward. Call me skeptical.
To put my negativity to work, lol, what happens when / if this continues for this year, and next. Does DM get a 5 year pass because he's tied to the EE? If yes, then how long does it take? If no, then we get to start the last five years over w/ unhappy kids, coaches gone, new coaches hired. Ugh. Come on DM, get us out of this. Which brings me to another point, pretty sure DM isn't struggling and needs this gig to put food on the table, at what point does he say eff this? We're supposed to ignore the out of conference portion of the schedule, which I say is BS but we can bring this up 5 games into the nec i guess. Calgon take me away!

RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:33 pm

On the brightside the schedule eases up. Just St John’s, Arizona State and UMass.

wurzshep19
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by wurzshep19 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:01 pm

I was at a "talk" with DM and Brian Barrio and they literally said to just throw away the entire Out of Conference schedule. If we win a single game, fine. The goal is to get these kids..and they are KIDS, up to D1 speed as quickly as possible.

It is impossible to have the turnover we had, and start over with this many new kids (a billion freshmen) and expect to be good out of the gates.

I think there is some basketball talent on the floor this season.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Hoops...that's a very good question, and I've been thinking a lot about that...what happens in April 2021?

I think if they are terrible this year and next, and the young guys don't appear to be improving, then Brian and the administration probably have to cut bait. But I do think that, if say they finish something like 6-12 in the NEC this season (which is what Mount finished last year), and the freshmen are playing well near the end of the season, Brian Barrio should put a 1-year extension on the table to avoid having a lame duck coach and lock in Marshall for what would be Baker, Outlaw, Tennyson, Wilson and Reed's junior season.

I think the decision makers owe it to the school to see this recruiting class through. If it turns out poorly, you cut bait. But it might turn out good!

GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:34 pm

This was written by Joe Chambers : Hartford lost all five of their main scorers from the 2019-2020 season. With only a few players returning, I see this as a rebuilding year for Hartford. Their top five scorers from last year totaled 68.5 out of 83.1 ppg. The Hawks are going to have to deal with losing 84% of their scoring from last year.

So their excuse for the loss was what???

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:32 am

GameDay wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:34 pm
This was written by Joe Chambers : Hartford lost all five of their main scorers from the 2019-2020 season. With only a few players returning, I see this as a rebuilding year for Hartford. Their top five scorers from last year totaled 68.5 out of 83.1 ppg. The Hawks are going to have to deal with losing 84% of their scoring from last year.

So their excuse for the loss was what???
Hartford brought in multiple D1 transfers (one of whom did not play last Tuesday), and the majority of their rotation has D1 experience. Just one freshman in the starting lineup. It's not apples to apples.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 am

In all honesty I was really hoping for that win but we all have to face, whether we like it or not, this is a rebuilding year with a crap ton of freshman. Were gonna suck. Like really suck, bottom of the barrel suck. For the first time in a long time, I'm going to give them, the regular season doesn't matter. I normally turn red with anger when I hear someone say that, and "technically" I know its true but its a fools game to be ok with going 1-12 in the off-season, winning the nec tournament and pumping your chest in the NCAA tournament with well under 20 wins, its embarrassing. Rant aside, we have 7 freshman, 5 of whom played the other night. We have 4 sophomores, 1 Juniors and 3 seniors of which only one will actually play. We are no doubt looking at the bottom of the barrel for the entire NCAA this year. Honestly, the only thing I want to see is that they get better, show some spurts of greatness and don't pull any of the bs antics from all the other DM teams that we've seen since he's arrived.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:30 am

According to Kenpom, of the 238 teams to have played a game against a D1 opponent so far, our average experience of 0.62 years is the 4th youngest. Those younger:
Memphis, which had the highest ranked recruiting class and started 5 top 100 freshmen;
Wichita St., who played mostly freshmen and sophomores in their win over Omaha but was missing their leading returning scorer who is a senior.
Incarnate Word, who has a 2nd year coach and finished 1-17 in the Southland last season.

THAT'S IT.

Last season Mount St. Mary's was the 2nd least experienced team in the nation and had just 1 win against a D1 team on January 19th. They ended up winning 4 of their final 6, and looked damn good against Georgetown the other night with mostly sophomores.

Im not saying this team will be good a year from now, or two years from now, as a lot can happen. I'm just suggesting that we should all judge this team on March 1. Not in November.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:42 pm

For what it’s worth, the entire NEC is winless so far against D-1 opponents. That’s probably the reflection of the conference in general.

HOWEVER...Bryant gave Brown and Rutgers great games losing 73-71 in both. Pretty impressive IMHO.

If I could change what I said about the Hartford game, I would. It was just a post of frustration. I know we can all relate.