Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

11/5 vs. Hartford

Post by J.J. » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:59 pm

So it begins ...

Krishnan out for the first semester?

I was hoping the camera from the press box was a 1 season experiment, guess not. :cry:

Also, why did DM switch benches?

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 11/5 vs. Hartford

Post by newbritainite » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:07 pm

I am thinking its because the left side is usually the home bench.... perhaps its more natural to coach from there for DM.
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 *
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The lone CT Men's Basketball team in the NCAA Tournament in 2007.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:28 pm

J.J. wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:59 pm
So it begins ...

Krishnan out for the first semester?
Academics - GR8 :oops:
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:33 pm

B65BD326-603D-47EF-BAC6-9F5CF26FE967.jpeg

RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Sweet Baby Jesus what was that

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:32 pm

I know they are young, but that was an awful 2nd half.

We aren't going to win many games, but not a lot of positives to take home from that one. Will be even worse at St. John's and Arizona State.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:38 pm

RonnyRob15 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:46 pm
Sweet Baby Jesus what was that
That just made me lol...

I know it’s game one but that was bad. Really bad. Like single digit win bad....

GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:58 pm

It seems to me that Central gets out coached during the games. I saw the same thing last year. They come into to game with a well thought out plan but as the opposing team adjusts to Central plan there is no adjusting on Central's end at least not one that gets executed correctly. Student section was flat only started to come to life once Central. was already in trouble. The team itself was too low key even before the game started. This was the season home opener against a local team, never could tell that by the players, coaches or fans.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:30 pm

A lopsided loss to a mediocre AE team does not bode well for the rest of the season.
This definitely has the look of a bad team.
They looked totally disorganized. Lots of dribbling and not much passing.
To sum it up it was five individuals playing against a team of five.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:13 am

Disorganized on the court. No game plan. Great pass under the basket...to the ref.

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:42 am

Ok, let's step back and take a breath. Stop with the whole "there was no game plan" thing. Obviously there is always a game plan. Obviously the coaches are preparing these kids everyday. And obviously these guys desperately want to win.

Let's look at the positives: Our on-ball D was very good. We rebounded the ball very well. Also, having Krishnan on the court would have certainly changed the dynamics of that game.

Negatives: Way too many guys thinking they can take their man off the dribble and then just dribbling directly into traffic. And our off-ball perimeter D still really sucks.

What would I like to see offensively? Personally, I don't like that double high pick that they're using quite a bit. IMO it just clogs up the middle and takes away driving lanes to the basket. Also, the guys who are setting those screens are not really 3-point threats so there's no real chance for a pick-and-pop (and the D was clearly not concerned about that). I would love to see these guys really spread the court--go a traditional 5-out (or 4-out) set. We have guys who do have the ability to take defenders off the bounce--so why not spread the court and give them driving lanes. Out of that set there are obviously countless things you can do--screen the ball, dribble-handoff, pick and roll, pick and pop, pick and slip, screen away, back screen, etc etc. Some of these options can directly open up double- or even triple-gaps which will allow our guys to drive or drive-and-skip or drive-and-dish to open shooters on the baseline or drive-and-dump to a guy in the low block or short corner.

Having said all this, I'm just a middle school coach. So obviously DM and his staff know 1000 times more than I do.
Last edited by BigBlue92 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:28 am

BigBlue92 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:42 am
Ok, let's step back and take a breath. Stop with the whole "their was no game plan" thing. Obviously there is always a game plan. Obviously the coaches are preparing these kids everyday. And obviously these guys desperately want to win.

Let's look at the positives: Our on-ball D was very good. We rebounded the ball very well. Also, having Krishnan on the court would have certainly changed the dynamics of that game.

Negatives: Way too many guys thinking they can take their man off the dribble and then just dribbling directly into traffic. And our off-ball perimeter D still really sucks.

What would I like to see offensively? Personally, I don't like that double high pick that they're using quite a bit. IMO it just clogs up the middle and takes away driving lanes to the basket. Also, the guys who are setting those screens are not really 3-point threats so there's no real chance for a pick-and-pop (and the D was clearly not concerned about that). I would love to see these guys really spread the court--go a traditional 5-out (or 4-out) set. We have guys who do have the ability to take defenders off the bounce--so why not spread the court and give them driving lanes. Out of that set there are obviously countless things you can do--screen the ball, dribble-handoff, pick and roll, pick and pop, pick and slip, screen away, back screen, etc etc. Some of these options can directly open up double- or even triple-gaps which will allow our guys to drive or drive-and-skip or drive-and-dish to open shooters on the baseline or drive-and-dump to a guy in the low block or short corner.

Having said all this, I'm just a middle school coach. So obviously DM and his staff know 1000 times more than I do.
Great input! Too much dribbling into trouble. this will get resolved with time. Krishnan on the bench for *Sheesh* academics sucks and it al all Ians fault. You gotta go to class Kid.
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:24 am

All those suggestions all those ideas, they know 1000 more and yet it does not happen on the court. WHY?

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:05 am

Next two games are 40 point blowouts and honestly, with football doing so well, I really don't care. Gonna do my time and let the DM experiment fail and wait for the next guy. Sucks and I hope he turns it all around and stays here as long as Howie and becomes a serious NEC threat year in and year out like RMU, FDU (more recently) etc. I just don't see it happening unfortunately. That team wasn't ready for prime time. Period.

Ian, you're killing us and did they ever fill Bobbi's (RIP) position? Need someone to kick the players in the arse through school and life.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:26 pm

I'm not going to go all negative here, I will support the team and let this season play out, but I'm not buying the "rebuilding" story that is being sold.

The rebuilding effort began on April 6, 2016. It is now November 6, 2019 and were are "rebuilding" yet again. I need a better explanation of why we are restarting (again) now.

Sorry, but the last 3 seasons wasn't the time to figure things out and then come up with a plan. It isn't like we were playing with "house money" - Howie's final decade was a slow decline. We were trending down and the changing of the guard was the time to change our trajectory. Unfortunately the decline has continued. There isn't a single person to blame, but collectively what they want is for fans to ignore the last decade and have faith we've finally got a plan moving forward. Call me skeptical.