MEAC meltdown

This forum is to discuss the buzz on our peer and up-level conferences.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

MEAC meltdown

Post by J.J. » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:22 pm

It appears the MEAC is in total meltdown mode for the past 2 years or so.

Hampton leaves for the Big South
Savannah State drops to D-II
North Carolina A&T is leaving for the Big South
Florida A&M is leaving for the SWAC

Bethune-Cookman (Daytona Beach, FL) just announced they are looking at their options:
Bethune-Cookman University has enjoyed a great partnership with the MEAC for forty years. However, like many other institutions across the nation, we are presently engaged in an analysis to assess all options available to us regarding athletic conference affiliation. Toward this end, we will continue to follow the directive of our Board and institutional leadership to ensure our alignment with an athletic conference that best meets the long-term needs of Bethune-Cookman University.
Rumors abound that NC Central and Norfolk State are also exploring new conferences. That leaves 5 MEAC schools in the North Division possibly looking for new homes (Delaware State, Morgan State, Coppin State, Maryland-Eastern Shore, and Howard).

I have also head that Delaware State might already be in negotiations with the NEC to join in future seasons. In my opinion, offering Howard would be adding a great pair of HBCU at the southern edge of footprint. It could only hleo recruiting in DE, MD, DC, and VA.

More to come ...

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: MEAC meltdown

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:31 pm

Hopefully Noreen is proactive and not reactive. She only seems concerned with updating our online profile, which is already fine imho but that's all I ever hear from her, seems to be the only goal. Hopefully I'm wrong but hey, if we're stuck here hopefully the NEC expands and makes the conference stronger.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:18 pm

Rumors that DSU talking with NEC about possible expansion now. Doubt we see any additions in time for 2020-21, but they could be a new member sometime on the future. If the rumors are true, that would be some welcome good news for the NEC.

But I can't imagine they invite just DSU alone and stay at 11 schools. So the question is who else would they invite?

My first choice would be Howard University. Widely regarded as one of the top HBCUs in the country, this would be a huge coup for the league.

Others probably interested in the NEC would be Morgan State, Maryland-Eastern Shore.

Would 14-team league be too big?

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:16 pm

I recall that DSU was the subject of an addition to the NEC Years ago. It may have been as a football only member at the time.

Having said that, it would be great to have another state university in the league.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:02 am

Bethune-Cookman will leave the MEAC for the SWAC effective in the 2021-22 season.
https://www.wtkr.com/sports/bethune-coo ... since-2018

The rumors on the internet are non-stop that Delaware State will join the NEC. I think it will be announced before June 30, to be effective for 2021-22.

I'm hoping the NEC is putting the full court press on Howard University to get the NEC to an even 12 for basketball and 10 in football.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 am

They were about as good as we were, unfortunately a bit better, 6-26, #-o

Looks like they stink in football too...

Is she actually trying to make our rankings lower???

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:30 am

5 hour drive from New Britain. Would prefer to see a school that the travel wont take all day, especially for football and basketball games.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:37 am

A perfect outcome here would be the NEC adding just Howard and Delaware State. That would give the NEC 12 schools for basketball 10 for football.

1. Bryant
2. Central Connecticut
3. Delaware State
4. Fairleigh Dickinson
5. Howard
6. Long Island
7. Mt. St. Mary's
8. Merrimack
9. Sacred Heart
10. St. Francis (NY)
11. Saint Francis (PA)
12. Wagner

+ Duquesne football

Adding a strong academic HBCU with the reputation of Howard University located in Washington, DC is the best addition we can hope for. I am also OK adding Delaware State, as a fellow public university and another HBCU. The travel down I-95 to Delaware and DC is worth it - not much different than our trips to The Mount.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:12 pm

NEC basketball would also have the option of going the division route:
North:
Bryant
Central Connecticut
Long Island
Merrimack
Sacred Heart
St. Francis (NY)

South:
Delaware State
Fairleigh Dickinson
Howard
Mt. St. Mary's
Saint Francis Univ
Wagner

Each team would play division rivals twice along with a single game against each team in the other division for a total of 16 NEC contests.