No Surprise there

This forum is to discuss the buzz on our peer and up-level conferences.
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

No Surprise there

Post by Larryl9797 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:20 am

Robert Morris looking to bolt from the NEC
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: No Surprise there

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:21 pm

Yep, private money wins every time, would expect Bryant has this on their roadmap as well. I'd be more happy if it weren't for SFPA as we still have that ridiculous road trip on our schedules. The only good thing, at least when it becomes official (few years? ) we don't have to go down there for playoff games as much, assuming we can build back up to a playoff team w/ DM.

Now, to spend the money we don't have, we aren't that far off in our gym especially after the recent renovations but lets play, make CCSU's gym more respectable for a moment.

1. Hang one of those cool scoreboards in the middle.
2. Upgrade the spiral stair, looks like I built it press box and make it real like the one in the picture
3. Get rid of the curtains and all the cheap a$$ hardware hanging from the ceilings.
4. Get rid of the bleachers
5. Upgrade the season ticket side seats to all seats, more comfy, no bleacher seats.
6. Upgrade the sound system like football did
7. More upgrades to the restroom, better air filtration..pu

That's really all we need, the front lobby is very nice, the back new area is beautiful, as are the upgrades that were done, just a few more...

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:03 pm

Now we know why Merrimack was added as the eleventh member. RMU leaves and the NEC is still at ten.
I don't think that a scoreboard could be hung from the ceiling. It is way too low.
They need to put an identical scoreboard on the opposite wall of the new scoreboard. So the season ticket side can actually see it.
The rest of the stuff would be nice. But is it realistic?

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:48 pm

I’m surprise it took this long to see anything in the press. Football will be a problem. Who knows? Maybe they’ll drop it if the NEC refuses them affiliate status.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:29 pm

Twitter is abound with more rumors:

1) RMU to leave the NEC and begin play in the Horizon League in the 2020-21 season.

This seems to have more legs and looks like it will happen. Not really all to upset, but I would cancel the football game at RMU and force the Colonials to bus to New Britain if they want to keep the game on the schedule this year.

2) NJIT to leave A-Sun and begin play in America East in the 2020-21 season.

This is real bad news, especially considering that RMU is leaving. Adding a school in Newark would have improved travel and brought another public university into the NEC. Really disappointing if the AE moved first and offered NJIT from right under our nose.

Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:37 pm

This would be a real bummer, if relative newbie NJIT got into the AE and not us. Of course, it's in the shadows of the media in New York City. Still, you'd think that the AE would have offered CCSU an opportunity.

We don't know if:a) we were offered and had to refuse, due to costs (transition fees and penalties, new logos, etc.);
b) our administration said "we've got too much with which to contend (virus, money issues, etc.);
c) the administration is fine with where were are in the NEC;
d) the administration thinks there is too much on our plate, with an interim in place (see a) and b);
e) any invitation was stifled by another member(s) of the AE;
f) they just don't want us.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:03 pm

Honestly, I'm not all that upset that RMU is moving on to the Horizon. As a CCSU fan, other than nostalgia, we probably gain more by losing them.

Most importantly, we get rid of the most awful, brutal bus trip in the league. There is no one affiliated with CCSU athletics that is going to miss those trips. We still have the trek to Loretto, but dropping a second game out in Western PA is a good thing for us.

Although the NEC is losing a strong men's basketball program and a nice new facility, it does have some positives. The league now drops to 10 members - an even number that allows us to go back to a Thursday/Saturday schedule (no bye weeks). Also, we continue to play an 18-game league schedule, but now it is a true round robin. Honestly, the league RPI and ranking can't really get any lower, so now we just have a better chance of competing for a NEC championship.

Football is basically the same thing. We avoid a nightmare of a road game every other year. NOTE: We should request RMU come to Arute this season as a non-conference opponent, or drop them from the schedule this year. With all the COVID uncertainty, there is absolutely no reason for us to bus to Moon Township in November for a non-conference game. Our only chance to make the FCS Playoffs is to win the NEC, period. Football at RMU in 2020 just became a meaningless as a non-conference game that we can afford to drop to save some $$ and a headache of a long road trip.

Once Merrimack becomes eligible, NEC Football is an 8-team league (7-game schedule). Would I like another football program to get us to 9 teams (8-game schedules)? Maybe. A 7-game league schedule still allows us to compete for the AQ and we schedule 4 non-conference games per year. Now that we plan on 1 FBS road game a year, I actually prefer the flexibility of these more interesting non-conference FCS and FBS matchups.

So I'm in no rush to offer New Haven NEC membership just yet.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:18 pm

Delta - I'm afraid the news is probably what we all know, but hate to admit.

We weren't invited, we weren't even considered, and for the third time since 2008, other public regional universities (UMBC, UMass-Lowell, and NJIT) that should be our peers got the call instead.

This is the real sad news of the day. After decades in D-I, CCSU has been unable to elevate its program from its entry-level NEC status. We are in a league with small, private universities and recent D-II call-ups like Sacred Heart, Bryant, Merrimack, and likely New Haven. Yet almost all of our former D-II peers, like Hartford, Quinnipiac, and UMBC have all been able to grow into better leagues.

I have no real hope on this issue - it is a topic no one want to discuss because there is no institutional will or resources to change our perception and place in the regional D-I landscape. We have to tow the company line and focus on winning NEC Championship ... which is something we still struggle to do.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:13 pm

Exactly JJ, we can't even argue for this anymore, our basketball program is a disaster and lets face, DM is looking at 3 wins (maybe) with this years ooc schedule. We will most likely be looking for a new coach beginning in March. We've been a train wreck since 2007 minus a season or two. I'm sure nobody wants in on us, plus were as broke as that vase on the Brady Bunch. Hartford, QU and UMBC have dollars upon dollars, rich get richer, we stay poor and still suck. Must start winning first. And why is Tom still interim? Just give it to him already.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:29 pm

Actually, NJIT going to the AE is a good fit for both primarily because of football...or lack thereof.

If CCSU was invited to the AE, we would have the same problem RMU is having. We would really struggle finding a conference that would accept us as a football only member and football is one huge bright spot in our athletics program. If we want continued success in football being in a conference...even the NEC...is essential.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Good point Sky. I have to say, I look more forward to football games than I do hoops. The atmosphere is so much better and there is a winning culture. Just have to get that FCS win...

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:53 am

I have to respectfully disagree. If CCSU ever has/had the opportunity to join America East we have to jump on it - whenever that might be. That also means CCSU should ALWAYS be doing things to make the school more attractive to America East and proactively reaching out as often as necessary. CCSU should keep lines of communication open (both official and unofficial) and if there is even a hint of mutual interest from the AE, the CCSU administration needs to do EVERYTHING it can to make it happen. Again, it is for the long-term interest of the university to be associated with New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, and the SUNYs. It is about academics just as much as it is about athletics and and everyone associated with CCSU in any capacity should fully understand that. The NEC was the only option we had back in 1998 and it was a lot better than the Mid-Con, but let's not pretend it was anything but the only offer we had. The NEC profile of small, private schools, just does not align with our mission statement or vision as a university.

I will assume for discussion here, that the America East has NEVER offered CCSU an invite and CCSU has NEVER declined any overtures or interest from the AE. That has to be the only reason we haven't left the NEC - it cannot be because we can't afford exit/entry fees or because of football.

Entry/Exit Fees:
The transactional cost to change conferences is somewhere between $500k-1M. Every school that has switched conferences (UMBC, QU, Monmouth, and RMU) has had the same cost. If they could fund it, we could fund it, period. It is a one-time cost that can be spread out over multiple years. It is a drop in the budget for a Athletic program that has a $14 million annual budget like CCSU. This is not holding us back.

Travel/Operational Costs:
A move to America East would have absolutely no additional travel costs. The AE is a bus league, just like the NEC, with all but 1 member located in New England and New York. The "outlier" would be UMBC (equivalent to our trips to The Mount and a far better bus ride than going to RMU/SFPA).

Football:
Like Monmouth and RMU, if we left the NEC we would have to find a new home for football. But as you see, the Big South offers a soft landing spot while further realignment works itself out. While not ideal, Stony Brook, Monmouth, and now RMU were willing to make it work. Why would CCSU be so risk-adverse? We could keep AQ access and our scholarships, with slightly higher travel costs and higher level of competition. Our program has a strong foundation and would easily compete in that set up. Furthermore, if we made the move to AE/BS we would be in a great position for further regionalization - something that RMU has just done with their move. I could easily see CAA Football splitting at some point in the future and we would be well positioned if we were already aligned in the AE/Big South.

Potential future FCS football conference:
1. Albany (AE)
2. Bryant (MAAC)
3. CCSU (AE)
4. Maine (AE)
5. Monmouth (MAAC)
6. New Hampshire (AE)
7. Rhode Island (A-10)
8. Robert Morris (Horizon)
9. Stony Brook (AE)

Let's not kid ourselves either, if offered, Bryant will jump at the opportunity to join the MAAC alongside QU and Monmouth. I have no doubt they will park football in the Big South until something better arrives.

These are desperate times for CCSU as realignment swirls around us - but we are not a player in any of it. We just sit and watch on the sidelines and are then forced to react to proactive decisions made by other conferences and universities. CCSU has to do anything and everything to shape our future and not sit back and have it dictated to us by other.

Sorry about my two cents and rant :)

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:37 am

I agree JJ. The entry/exit fee could be paid by scheduling an extra play for pay BB or Football game or two with a major school.
The fit with the AE is a natural fit with school type (medium sized state universities) and region. And as a bonus there would be a home and away game with an almost crosstown rival, UofH.
I hate the NEC! I want out. There has to be a solution to the football problem.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:20 am

As they say "what is done, is done" - so we can't cry too much over spilled milk. CCSU has to focus and plan for the future.

First, it has to be clear to everyone associated with CCSU, that we were passed over 3 times by the America East in favor of UMBC (a NEC peer), UMass-Lowell (D-II reclassification), and NJIT (D-I nomad). It is depressing to think that is what AE members rank CCSU as a potential peer. I'm disapointed, yet not too surprised that 3 public regional universities got the call we've been hoping for. So what is being planned now to IMPROVE the image and perception of CCSU both academically and athletically to attract students and influence other college Presidents? This has to be a priority for President Toro and all of CCSU leadership.

Second, while I'm less concerned about the immediate impacts of RMU's move to the Horizon, it does predict another risk to the NEC. Robert Morris is now the 3rd NEC school to build a new basketball facility and leave the conference, following in the footsteps of Monmouth and Quinnipiac joining the MAAC. With the MAAC remaining at an odd number of 11 members, they are probably still looking for a 12th member. Wagner was previously reported to be under consideration back in 2013, and I am willing to bet Bryant and even Sacred Heart has also inquired about that opening. The NEC is almost certain to lose another member to the MAAC, especially if Bryant builds a first class basketball facility.

Finally, as the NEC looks to add new members and if the past is any indication of what is likely to happen - they will offer D-II New Haven membership sometime in the next 6 months. As the league reloads with another D-II program, this just solidifies the perception and reality that the NEC is an entry-level D-I athletic conference and we will be forever regulated to #16 seeds and the worst matchups in all NCAA Championships. It is going to be very hard for CCSU to achieve future NCAA wins with the kind of handicap we get from being a NEC member.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:08 am

FYI - the reported cost for NJIT to switch conference from the ASUN to the AE = $400k

That is $200k as both an exit and entry fee. Obviously, there are a few other direct cost, such as updating logos, letterheads, website, signs and banners, etc. but you are looking at a half a million directly to make the change.