Univ. of New Haven exploring Division I

This forum is to discuss the buzz on our peer and up-level conferences.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Univ. of New Haven exploring Division I

Post by J.J. » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Oh boy ... another small, private school wants to join Division I. I'm sure the NEC is ready for its newest expansion member.
The University of New Haven has hired Sheahon Zenger as athletic director and the school will explore the possibility of moving to Division I, according to a source.

Zenger, who was the athletic director at Kansas in 2011-18, will be introduced during a press conference Thursday morning.

New Haven is currently a Division II program. A move would require major facilities upgrades and various other investments and expenses. The football program would participate at the Division I FCS level.
https://www.courant.com/sports/college/ ... story.html

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Univ. of New Haven exploring Division I

Post by J.J. » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:49 pm

WEST HAVEN — The University of New Haven has found its new athletic director, hiring former University of Kansas AD Sheahon Zenger.

The school will introduce Zenger at a 10 a.m. press conference Thursday. The hiring of a former Division I administrator is a sign the school is upgrading athletics, which could include a move to Division I from Division II.

He will replace former NFL coach Chris Palmer, who retired in June.

“I came to interview about two and a half weeks ago. I came for two days and stayed for seven. I fell in love with the place,” Zenger told Hearst Connecticut Media Wednesday. “I was attracted to President (Steven) Kaplan, his leadership, the trajectory of the institution — all the stuff you know about. It’s easy to get excited about.”

Zenger led the Kansas athletic department from 2011 to 2018. He was fired in May 2018, as school chancellor Douglas Girod said in a letter to school staff that “progress in key areas has been elusive.”

Since then, he has worked as a consult at TCU and has coached high school football in Kansas.
https://www.nhregister.com/sports/artic ... 413923.php

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:33 pm

How about this for a flashback.

CCSU was a member of the D-II New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) back in 1983-84 and 1984-85 seasons.

Look where they are now .. how soon until SCSU looks at D-I because everyone has moved on up already?

Bridgeport (D-II/ECC)
Central Connecticut St. (D-I/NEC)
UMass-Lowell (D-I/America East)
New Haven (D-II/NE-10)
Quinnipiac (D-I/MAAC)
Sacred Heart (D-I/NEC)
Southern Connecticut St. (D-II/NE-10)
Southern New Hampshire (D-II/NE-10)

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:41 pm

They will probably seek, and get, state bonding for athletic facility upgrades the same way Goodwin College screwed the taxpayers for their campus in East Hartford.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:49 pm

Skyhawkct wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:41 pm
They will probably seek, and get, state bonding for athletic facility upgrades the same way Goodwin College screwed the taxpayers for their campus in East Hartford.
and then end up in the AE. :roll:

Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:03 pm

I wish UNH well, but, this only cuts into any publicity and good will we get (whatever that this).

I agree, Sky, no more money to privates for things that we (public universities) cannot get. Let's get a hold of our congress people, within the state, before this goes too far.