One LIU

This forum is to discuss the buzz on our peer and up-level conferences.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

One LIU

Post by J.J. » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:18 pm

It appears that LIU will be merging its athletic departments in to one D-I program in the NEC.

LIU-Brooklyn (Blackbirds) are D-I members of the NEC.
LIU-Post (Pioneers) are D-II members of the NE-10.

Basically, this adds a new football team to the NEC without expansion in basketball.

More details to follow ...

www.one.liu.edu

http://www.northeastconference.org/news ... aspx?path=

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: One LIU

Post by J.J. » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:23 pm

All of LIU's teams will continue competing in their current conferences for the 2018-19 academic year, honoring schedules with opponents. The unification will be effective for competition beginning in Fall 2019. The university will elevate seven current Post programs to Division I, including expanding its membership in the Northeast Conference with men's cross country, men's lacrosse, and football, which will make the transition to the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:13 pm

The school also is adding women’s ice hockey and women’s water polo. No sports are being eliminated in the move.

The combined teams will be known as Long Island University and will have a blue and gold color scheme. Students and alumni will help decide a new nickname, the school said.

“LIU was already one university, even though it’s two different campuses,” said Northeast Conference commissioner Noreen Morris. “LIU had done a lot of planning, when you unify two programs, there’s a lot of moving parts to handle.”

LIU teams will draw athletes from both campuses. The school said it will honor all of its current scholarship athletes, but the 2019-20 rosters will be decided at the discretion of each team.

LIU worked with the NCAA throughout the unification process and received waivers so that student-athletes who do not make the combined team can still receive financial aid. Student-athletes will also be allowed to transfer to a new school.

“LIU wants to do the right thing and honor scholarships for anyone who has already been awarded aid,” Morris said.

The school said coaching changes will be announced ahead of next season.

Sports that will combine teams are men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and women’s lacrosse.

Post’s men’s lacrosse and men’s cross country teams will join the Northeast Conference.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... 1.21416636

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:37 pm

My initial reaction is positive but I'll have to "digest" it. It sure beats a school bolting the conference.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Skyhawkct wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:37 pm
My initial reaction is positive but I'll have to "digest" it. It sure beats a school bolting the conference.
I agree. My initial reaction is positive and I'm even a little hopeful about our future.

This move doesn't impact basketball, as LIU is already a member, but combined with the addition of Merrimack, adding LIU football will give the league 9 football members. That is a 8-game conference schedule (4 home/4 away) and we only need to find 3 non-conference games a year. That should remove the need to buy D-II home games in the future!

I still would like to see CCSU work out a deal with the NEC where we remain in the league as an affiliate football member like Duquesne, but become full members of America East. Clearly, the NEC members did not allow Monmouth to remain as an affiliate football member, so there is no new reason to believe that they would extend that deal to CCSU. However, I think we have been an excellent member of the league and we just don't fit institutionally. I would hope our President and AD would be able to work out a deal that would allow us to join our public peers in another conference and keep football in the NEC. Again, just wishful thinking on my part, but the dream is still alive ...

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:27 am

Skyhawkct wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:37 pm
So true.. so true....
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:27 pm

It sure beats a school bolting the conference.
Not if the bolting school was Central :D

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:49 pm

\:D/

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:04 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:27 pm
It sure beats a school bolting the conference.
Not if the bolting school was Central :D
What an early Christmas present THAT would be! [-o< [-o< [-o<