Bleak future for UConn football

This forum is to discuss the buzz on our peer and up-level conferences.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bleak future for UConn football

Post by J.J. » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:57 am

Another fantastic article by Mike Anthony. The state of UConn football is awful, and as long as they are on the outside of the Power 5 club, there isn't much hope for a return to the "glory years" of Edsall version 1 in Storrs.
The Huskies have three wins each of the past two seasons.

Average home attendance in 2017 was 20,334, by far the lowest in program history.

Season tickets allocated for each of the past three seasons were approximately 16,000 – again, by far, the lowest in program history.

Until the most recent estimates came in.

The Huskies have allocated about 9,000 season tickets for the 2018 season.

And only about 17,000 tickets are out for Thursday’s opener at home against Central Florida.

Oh, my.

Barring a large walk-up, there could be fewer than 15,000 people actually in the stadium for an event that should generate some interest and energy. UCF went undefeated last season and is ranked No. 21 in the preseason Associated Press national poll. This marks the beginning of Randy Edsall’s second season in his second stint as coach.

Seventeen thousand tickets out a week before the game? Season ticket allotment down a whopping 7,000? Down nearly 45 percent?

Oh, man.

Seven consecutive losing seasons have followed that Fiesta Bowl appearance on New Year's Day 2011, the end of Edsall’s first stint, and UConn has lost significant traction with the public. The fan base is shrinking and those who remain loyal customers seem increasingly agitated by a recent track record that becomes more relevant the longer it continues in its losing ways.

Edsall isn't just fighting a tidal wave of wrong-direction momentum established by the Paul Pasqualoni and Bob Diaco eras. He's fighting the clock, in a way. There has to be tangible growth, there has to be success sooner than later, in order for any optimism to override the question whether this situation is even tenable, whether UConn can once again become a functional, successful program. The angst is real. Fans who aren't bored have the right to be impatient.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-foo ... ft13a-7gp1

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Bleak future for UConn football

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:45 pm

As we all know, very few FBS programs pay for themselves, let alone actually MAKE money.

If this downturn continues, UC has two choices, ask the state to continue to pump $$ into the program or downgrade to FCS (with what may be the largest stadium in that division).

I actually read some blog somewhere about UC's FCS options which included the Patriot League and the CAA.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:06 am

The Yale website lists the Bowl's seating capacity at 61,446. I believe that leads the FCS division.

The Rent's capacity is about 40,000. It was filled back in August/2005 when Mick, Keith, and the Stones played. When they sang "This May Be the Last Time", they must have been referring to sellouts.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:59 am

Totally forgot about the Ivy's Shore!

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm watching UC/UCF and there is an AAC promo calling themselves part of the "Power Six".

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Skyhawkct wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:42 pm
I'm watching UC/UCF and there is an AAC promo calling themselves part of the "Power Six".
Their conference commissioner is an idiot.

Huskies getting rolled at home by UCF. UConn down 28-10. I predict a final closer to 49-17.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:01 am

Bleakerer and bleakerer.

From Jeff Jacobs column in today's NH Register:
https://www.nhregister.com/sports/jeffj ... 195151.php

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:08 am

Jeff,

I don't give a damn ;)

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:49 pm

And most bleakerest:

From Chip Malafronte's column in today's NH Register:
"Which was the more depressing sight on Thursday night? UConn looking like a scout team trying, unsuccessfully, to stop Central Florida’s vaunted offense? Or the season-opener — against last season’s only undefeated team in college football — being played at half-empty Rentschler Field?"

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:34 am

I love reading Mike Anthony's articles. I wish he covered CCSU instead of UConn, but he writes from a great perspective.
It’s been an exhausting week in the UConn football universe.

The Huskies flew home from their 62-7 loss to Boise State early Sunday morning, and the next couple of days were less about a breakdown of an Idaho beatdown than about a close, increasingly unnecessary, look back at the program’s slide over the years of Paul Pasqualoni and Bob Diaco.

On a conference call Monday, coach Randy Edsall mentioned everyone (players, coaches, supporters) needing to remember that there hasn’t been a winning season at UConn since he last coached the team, in 2010. During a press conference Tuesday, he revisited and advanced the theme, calling what happened to the program in his six-year absence “just a shame.”

It’s all accurate. Edsall is right. Yet what he harped on Tuesday is becoming essentially irrelevant.

Edsall was hired to rebuild this program and he understood, even embraced the ground-level point from which the project began. We were all here for the unraveling under Pasqualoni and subsequent on- and off-field damage that was incurred under Diaco. Head-scratching stuff, all of it.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-foo ... story.html