1080 WTIC doesn't resign UConn basketball/football

This forum is to discuss the buzz on our peer and up-level conferences.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

1080 WTIC doesn't resign UConn basketball/football

Post by J.J. » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 am

After 26 years, UConn broadcasts moving from 50k-watt WTIC-AM to ESPN Radio 97.9 FM

Lots of reason for the move, yet CCSU basketball is still without its own radio deal :(

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-hus ... story.html

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/jeffj ... 619747.php

http://www.journalinquirer.com/public/w ... a3686.html

ccsutaf
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Re: 1080 WTIC doesn't resign UConn basketball/football

Post by ccsutaf » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Maybe WTIC would like to have some sports programming from a state D-1 school not located in a cow pasture. I thought the late Arnold Dean did CCSU games in the 70's.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:07 pm

The JI article was an interesting read...including the tid bit about politics.

I won't venture too much on the subject because I'm not well informed on it but an FM signal is pretty local while WTIC is a clear channel station and when the conditions are right, can be heard for literally hundreds of miles.

With the onset of internet radio, such as IHeart Radio, many college programs have access to an audience that they never had before. Having said that, can CCSU revert to having WFCS broadcast the games and find a way to broadcast it on IHeart?

As much as I agree that not having an AM station broadcasting our games is dissapointing, I have to say that with ESPN3 and NEC Frontrow, I've followed our team remotely better than any previous seasons.

I think, as internet broadcasting and telecasting becomes more and more prevalent, this may be the most prudent way to bring CCSU MBB and football to the fans.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:40 pm

I agree with you Sky.

That’s why I was so happy when we had our broadcasts on WPOP and iHeartRadio. We need a better way to stream our own audio productions via the internet - iHeartRadio was perfect, that’s why IMG/UConn is now moving in that direction.

I would be 100% satisfied if we could get all CCSU games online only (no commercial radio) if we had our own production/announcers and used an app like iHeartRadio.

The conference has to drop its own streaming site and partner with ESPN3. That platform is much better than what NEC Front Row is currently delivering.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:41 am

They'll never get rid of NEC front row. The comish hangs her hat on it. Look at this from her bio.

During her tenure, Morris has worked extensively with the Council of Presidents and athletic administrators to implement the Conference’s Strategic Plan adopted in 2012, including initiatives to enhance the NEC’s overall brand as well as strengthen the marquee sport of basketball. A significant component of those initiatives includes NEC Front Row, a state-of-the-art, interactive webcasting/social media platform that highlights the NEC’s live event coverage, academic achievement and community service projects.

I agree on the ESPN3 piece although it will never happen. It is so much better. NECfront row needs an app, a real app and not a web page where one who tries to watch the game after the fact isn't forced to view a twitter feed on the left that tells the score or a box score in bold blue color that draws your eyes to it after the fifth time you've clicked the video and had no luck getting the little arrow to cast to your Apple TV. It's a joke. #-o

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 am

Putzin' around yesterday, I was able to listen to WFCS on the internet through their website. I could not find them on IHeart Radio.

I get that the budget is tight and we can't afford WPOP but how much could it possibly cost to get a WFCS feed from the gym? Maybe get two aspiring broadcast volunteers to cover the games? Maybe even try to get the station on IHeart?

I noticed several stations from schools like CCSU listed.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:23 am

Considering I had to look up what WFCS even was, tells me they don't do enough to make themselves known, lol. They ALREADY have a live internet station! Why can't we utilize them for men's and woman's games? Seriously, no budget doesn't mean everyone needs to lose the ability to think outside the box...

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:28 am

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 am

I actually worked at the station as news director...seriously...back in 1974-75. I was lucky enough to meet Pres. Ford and Bob Scheiffer in doing so.

Anyway...the station tried, on several occasions, to boost power but it was declined by the FCC. When they first started airing, the call letters were WCCS but WCCC filed a complaint and once again, they fell to the FCC. We don't even catch a break with our little radio station.

Many years ago, WFCS did, in fact, carry the games with a guy named Glen Conticello who went on to carry UH games. IMHO, there is no reason why they can't do it again.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:34 pm

I get WFCS on my Yamaha amp/receiver by selecting the "Net Radio" button. No need to have a powerful broadcast station, it comes in crystal clear on the internet.
I don't know why games are not broadcast by the station, were they ever in the past?

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Man, I gotta upgrade my Denon.

Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:38 pm

Yes, the station, as WCCS and WFCS broadcast both basketball and football.
At one time, I believe that both the college station and WPOP broadcast the games the same time.
WHAY aslo broadcast them in the late 50's/early to mid 60's.

I think it's either a case of it not being financially feasible or that there was no interest on the part of student volunteers or both (at least, recently).