UConn future status as a mid-major

This forum is to discuss the buzz on our peer and up-level conferences.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UConn future status as a mid-major

Post by J.J. » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:58 pm

From Mike Anthony at the Courant:
The UConn men's basketball team and its coaching staff entered public view Sunday night for the first time since news of recruiting allegations and an NCAA investigation surfaced, an embarrassing off-the-court news cycle for the program.

Forget all that, though. As the Huskies fumbled and stumbled around the Liacouras Center for a couple hours, there were countless reminders of how many actual on-the-court issues the Huskies currently have. It was an altogether different type of embarrassment.

UConn was blown out by Temple, 83-57, out-classed and out-muscled by a mediocre team in a less-than-daunting environment. The lead was as many as 27 and the game ended as UConn’s sixth loss by 20-plus points.

The Huskies (11-10, 4-4) were coming off a victory over SMU Thursday night at Gampel Pavilion, a late-January injection of energy for a team that had been blown out in its two previous games (Memphis, Villanova).

But no momentum was gained and an opportunity lost in North Philadelphia. UConn’s penchant for following an encouraging win with a stinker continued. Temple (11-10, 3-6) used a 20-4 run late in the first half and a 10-0 run early in the second to coast.

And the blowout was on.

At each position, Temple was just more on point, solid and fast where UConn was shaky. Guard Shizz Alston Jr. led Temple with 18 points, guard Quinton Rose had 17 and big man Ernest Aflakpui had 13 for the Owls. It was 38-24 at halftime and soon 53-30.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:23 am

Yet their fans STILL have an attitude towards us. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving team/fan set...

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:24 am

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:52 pm

I'm no expert on the subject but it seems to me it's the W/L record, not the cost of a ticket, that determines "fan" attendance.

If UC played in a major or semi major bowl on a regular basis, Rentchler would be packed for every home game.

Just my opinion.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:55 am

Agreed sky. Winning would certainly help, but its is unlikely they will match the attendance and ethesisaum they had for game vs. Big East teams like Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, etc.

They absolutely need to win more games, but causal fans aren't interested in watching UConn vs. Tusla, SMU, Temple, ECU, etc. Those opponents don't have the hype of P5 schools and only die-hard fans are going now.

CCSU has the same issue on a smaller scale. I assure you we would draw more fans to football games if we had league games vs. New Hampshire, Stony Brook, Maine, Albany, and URI instead of games vs. Saint Francis, RMU, Wagner, Sacred Heart, etc. Again, winning helps a lot, but I think we have a hard ceiling in the NEC.