Big South expansion?

This forum is to discuss the buzz on our peer and up-level conferences.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Big South expansion?

Post by J.J. » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:08 pm

Big South Football (@BigSouthFB)
Major announcement scheduled for tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. regarding #BigSouth FB future membership!
4:08 PM - 12 Sep 2016
Current Big South Football Membership
1. Charleston Southern
2. Gardner-Webb
3. Kennesaw State (A-Sun)
4. Liberty
5. Monmouth (MAAC)
6. Presbyterian

My guess is that Campbell, a current Big South member that plays non-scholly football in the Pioneer Football League, adds scholarships and will play football in the Big South.

It is also possible, that other Pioneer teams like Jacksonville or Stetson might add scholarships and join the Big South as football affiliates.

Since this was tweeted out by the conference football account, and the Big South has 10 full-time members, I doubt there is a full member joining, but of course that is possible.

If the PFL does lose some members and possibly the AQ, it may open the door for Marist to join the NEC. Not that the Red Foxes will add anything positive to the league perception or strength. It would just be another warm body and that means one less non-conference opponent to find each year.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Big South expansion?

Post by J.J. » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:45 am

Just as I thought, but no imminent changes to Big South football membership today.

http://bigsouthsports.com/news/2016/9/1 ... 62601.aspx
The Big South Conference and ASUN Conference (ASUN) announced today a unique FCS member partnership that will strengthen both leagues and strategically reinforce the future of Big South football. The partnership, which takes effect immediately, guarantees a football “home” within the Big South Conference for ASUN members that play scholarship football.

Under the arrangement, current or future ASUN Conference members that sponsor scholarship football will automatically be admitted as associate football members into the Big South Conference, so long as they are based in a pre-determined geographical footprint that spans the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast regions.
Campbell, who is already a Big South member can join the league for football at any time, if they choose to add scholarships.

Kennesaw State is a current A-SUN member with football affiliate status in the Big South. This agreement solidifies this arrangement between 2 conferences.

Jacksonville and Stetson are current A-SUN members that play non-scholarship football in the Pioneer League. If they chose to offer scholarships in the future, that will be automatically be granted membership in the Big South for football only.

This also applies to potential future members of the A-SUN, such as potential D-II move-up North Alabama.

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:43 pm

What does this mean for CC and the NEC?
2017 NORTHEAST CONFERENCE
FOOTBALL CHAMPS - Undefeated In The NEC

Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The lone CT team in the NCAA Tournament in 2007
#CCSUCLASSOF2004

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:57 pm

newbritainite wrote:What does this mean for CC and the NEC?
Nothing really.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:56 pm

Perhaps only that we are in a crappy conference that has no foresight and plans for the future like other conferences.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:04 am

Campbell is expected to announce on Monday that they are adding scholarships and will play football in the Big South.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:17 am

University of North Alabama (UNA) is expected to announce its reclassification to D-I next week.

UNA will join the Atlantic Sun as a full member and its football team will play in the Big South. The new 8-team Big South Football will now have the following members:

1. Campbell
2. Charleston Southern
3. Gardner-Webb
4. Kennesaw State (A-Sun)
5. Liberty
6. Monmouth (MAAC)
7. North Alabama (A-Sun)
8. Presbyterian

The Lions have a very strong football program - they are 3-time D-II National Champions (1993, 1994, 1995). The university, like CCSU, was established as a 'Normal School' or 'Teachers College' and was formerly known as Alabama State Normal School at Florence and Florence State Teachers College.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universit ... th_Alabama

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:22 am

Latest conference moves ...

South Carolina Upstate is moving from the Atlantic Sun to the Big South for the 2018-19 season. The Spartans do not play football.
USC Upstate has been in the Atlantic Sun since 2007, when it made the move from NCAA Division II to Division I. Travel in the league, which has seven teams, has been not only expensive for the university but also keeps students out of the classrooms. Teams are spread out from Florida (four teams) to New Jersey. The closest trips are nearly 200 miles to Kennesaw, Ga., and 350 miles to Nashville, Tenn.

“We have one opponent less than 300 miles away in the Atlantic Sun. There is only one opponent more than 300 miles away in the Big South,” Kelly said. “Our faculty athletics representative, Jim Griffis, has determined that we will put students back in to 1,200 classes as a result of this move. We’re putting students in position to be successful. They are our greatest ambassadors and then we take them out of classes. That’s not the outline of success that we should be looking for. This changes the dynamic dramatically.”

The Big South has three other schools in South Carolina (Presbyterian in Clinton, Winthrop in Rock Hill and Charleston Southern); four in North Carolina (Gardner-Webb just 30 miles away in Boiling Springs, Campbell, High Point and UNC Asheville); as well as three in Virginia (Liberty, Longwood and Radford).

“We’re excited that there are so many South Carolina and North Carolina schools, which creates some wonderful, natural rivalries,” Kelly said. “The conference is just the perfect fit for where we are trying to go as a university and the type of atmosphere we are trying to create for the students.”
http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171115/ ... conference

Also, Hampton, one of the Historically Black College and Universities, man announce tomorrow that they leave the MEAC for the Big South as well.
Rumors have been swirling that Hampton is ready to bolt the MEAC and move to another conference, most likely the Big South. Hampton officials would not confirm or deny reports but they did confirm a press conference set for 11 AM on Thursday.

Hampton joined the MEAC in 1995 after moving up to Division I and leaving the CIAA, which it helped start in 1912. The MEAC currently includes 13 HBCUs from Delaware to Florida but will lose Savannah State in 2019 as it returns to Division II. Only 11 of the current schools play football (Maryland-Eastern Shore and Coppin do not). The school reportedly flirted with jumping to the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) in 2012, but didn’t jump ship.

The Big South currently has 10 members from Virginia to South Carolina. It announced on Wednesday that it will be adding USC-Upstate, which does not play football. Hampton would give the conference 12 full members, and the addition of North Alabama as a football member would give the conference eight football programs.

If the move takes place, Hampton would join Tennessee State as the only HBCUs in Division I not in the MEAC or SWAC. Losing Hampton would put the MEAC membership at 11 once both it and SSU leaves, and just nine football playing schools.
https://hbcugameday.com/2017/11/15/hamp ... onference/

I hope this opens up the opportunity for the Northeast Conference to invite Delaware State from the MEAC. By no means are the Hornets an outstanding program, but they do have enough (especially football) to be of value to the NEC. For CCSU fans, I think it is much better than the idea of bringing in another D-II program like Bentley or Merrimack from the NE-10.

I also wouldn't mind the league re-evaluating if we should allow Monmouth associate membership in football. Adding these 2 schools would get the football league to 9 members, allowing a 8-game conference schedule. That would ease our non-conference scheduling issues.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 am

Oh, and it also sounds like sometime very soon Presbyterian is going to decide if they are going to stop offering scholarships for football program and play that sport as member of the Pioneer League. They would keep all other sports in the Big South.

Big South Football

1. Campbell
2. Charleston Southern
3. Gardner-Webb
4. Hampton
5. Kennesaw State (A-Sun)
6. Monmouth (MAAC)
7. North Alabama (A-Sun)

Notes:
Liberty remains in the conference as a full member, but plays football as a FBS Independent.
Assumes Presbyterian remains in the Big South, but drops scholarships to play football in the Pioneer League (FCS)
Monmouth is currently in the final year of a 4-year contract for football membership, with the option to renew for 2-years

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 am

It is now official, South Carolina Upstate and Hampton are joining the Big South for the 2018-19 season.

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/news/2017 ... ember.aspx

With the addition of Hampton, the Big South Conference will now have four members based in 3 States, for a total of 12 members:

Virginia:
1. Hampton
2. Liberty
3. Longwood
4. Radford

South Carolina:
5. Charleston Southern
6. Presbyterian College
7. USC Upstate
8. Winthrop

North Carolina:
9. Campbell
10. Gardner-Webb
11. High Point
12. UNC Asheville

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:30 am

Many years ago, there was some talk of DSU joining the NEC but obviously, that's all it was. IMHO, they would be a good addition for us due to it being a mid size state university.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 am

Skyhawkct wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:30 am
Many years ago, there was some talk of DSU joining the NEC but obviously, that's all it was. IMHO, they would be a good addition for us due to it being a mid size state university.
I think Hampton's move from the MEAC to the Big South might make DSU reexamine its current membership status. The MEAC stretches from Delaware to Florida and involves a lot of travel for non-revenue sports - that's the primary reason Hampton made the move.

I could envision the NEC reaching out to the MEAC schools North of Virginia to see if there is any mutual interest. Delaware State would be the top of my list, and it might make sense to bring in another school for balanced scheduling purposes.

Delaware State (Dover, DE) Plays football
Morgan State (Baltimore, MD) Plays football
Coppin State (Baltimore, MD) No football
Maryland-Eastern Shore (Princess Anne, MD) No football
Howard University (Washington, DC) Plays football

I don't think Howard would consider the NEC, but a Delaware State/Morgan State combo would not be a bad idea to explore.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri May 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Liberty was looking for stability with a full conference affiliation for its non-football sports.

The Big South Conference, the university’s Division I home since 1991, could only offer associate membership after Liberty football left the conference to play in the top-tier Football Bowl Subdivision as an independent.

The Atlantic Sun Conference, which does not sponsor football, extended a full-membership invitation that was too good for Liberty to pass up.

Liberty announced Thursday it had accepted the A-Sun’s conference invitation and will become a full member July 1 with its non-football sports moving to the conference.

Those 17 sports do not include football, field hockey and women’s swimming & diving.

“I think Liberty is a much better fit with these schools academically, athletically, financially,” Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. said of the move to the A-Sun.

Liberty’s other two varsity sports, field hockey and swimming, are members of the Big East Conference and Coastal Collegiate Sports Association, respectively.

Liberty becomes the ninth member of the A-Sun for the 2018-19 athletic season, joining New Jersey Institute of Technology, Lipscomb, Kennesaw State, Florida Gulf Coast, Jacksonville, North Florida and Stetson.

The ninth member, North Alabama, is completing its athletic season as a member of Division II’s Gulf South Conference and then will begin the transition to Division I. The Lions are slated to join the A-Sun for the upcoming athletic season but will not be eligible for postseason play during its four-year transitional period into Division I.
http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... 2b51c.html