UConn fires Kevin Ollie "for just cause"

This forum is to discuss the buzz on our peer and up-level conferences.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

UConn fires Kevin Ollie "for just cause"

Post by J.J. » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:10 am

What a mess this is. Kinda like the CCSU coaching issues in the past (Mark Adam's firing and Donyell's hiring), except this will stay front page news for weeks.
The school announced Saturday that it was "initiating disciplinary procedure to terminate" Ollie's employment for "just cause," which would mean he would not have to be paid the roughly $10 million remaining on his contract. The action could lead to possible negotiations for a buyout down the road, but Ollie is out at UConn after six seasons.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: UConn fires Kevin Ollie "for just cause"

Post by hilltopper » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Do you think that if Ollie had 20+ wins he would be fired for "just cause"?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:53 am

Of course not. UConn can’t afford the contract buyout so they use “just cause” as leverage and a negotiation tactic. KO needed to be fired, but not like this. Problem is UConn is broke and doesn’t want to pay for their mistake. This is Bob Diaco 2.0

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24 am

I find it fasinating how while in a tail spin, their fan base still feel entitled. It's like this is just a blip on the radar and they''ll be back to the final four, lickity split. Was getting into it w/ my EE friends the other day, who are all convinced that Hurley is all but a fomality. My argument there was, why would he bolt from the A10 to the American. Thier rebuttal was to say how head and shoulders above thier conference is to the A10, so I look it up on rpi and its only percentage points higher and only 4 spots above. This being a down year for the A10 in terms of RPI, I feel that I won that argument. The only way I see them being right about Hurley is if they double his salary which they say Uconn will. Apparantley they have a 3 mil budget for this hire. Must be nice. What's DM making? 200k? Not that he needs it but still...

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Agreed. If Hurley comes to UConn it is for the $$$, not because of the "national" program or the conference.

UConn can probably double his URI salary, so it is very possible he's the next head coach in Storrs. However, the Pitt job is also open and that is in the ACC and don't forget the Big East is also much better conference than the American.

ACC - 9 teams (#1 and #2 seed)
Big East - 6 teams (two #1 seeds)
A-10 - 3 teams
American - 3 teams

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:42 pm

I hope that Hurley does not take the UConn job, as I think that he is an excellent coach and great recruiter. Is the American that much of a promotion over the A10? With continued success at URI (and why not?) he will get the big bucks anyway. I would assume that the ACC would be the promised land for Hurley, and I bet his dream is to be a Blue Devil coach....hmmm?

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:34 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24 am
I find it fasinating how while in a tail spin, their fan base still feel entitled. It's like this is just a blip on the radar and they''ll be back to the final four, lickity split. Was getting into it w/ my EE friends the other day, who are all convinced that Hurley is all but a fomality. My argument there was, why would he bolt from the A10 to the American. Thier rebuttal was to say how head and shoulders above thier conference is to the A10, so I look it up on rpi and its only percentage points higher and only 4 spots above. This being a down year for the A10 in terms of RPI, I feel that I won that argument. The only way I see them being right about Hurley is if they double his salary which they say Uconn will. Apparantley they have a 3 mil budget for this hire. Must be nice. What's DM making? 200k? Not that he needs it but still...
Man did you hit the nail on the head. "Entitlement"!

In this day and age of severe debt in CT, these so called fans would be happy to spend the state's last dollar for UConn. I guarantee they would have no problem buying out KO's contract even if UConn went into debt to do it.

Kind of like the three year old scoreboard at Rentchler. It cost $3 million of taxpayers money to replace the original scoreboard which was very adequate...but it was for UConn so it's OK.

I guess with football in decline and now MBB, the fans are desperate for something.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 pm

A fantastic and objective article on the UConn-Ollie situation. Mike Anthony is a fantastic sports writer and real journalist. His articles and features are great reads every time.
And let’s be real. Ollie wasn’t fired for the depth and breadth of alleged allegations. He was fired for losing control of the program and losing, period. A handful of additional victories in 2016-18 and these are issues being worked through, privately, not serving as the basis for a PR war and a battle over the remaining $10 million on Ollie’s contract.

Both parties backed themselves into this complicated fiscal intersection of winning, losing, right, wrong, excuses and veiled motivations. Ollie did it with carelessness that appears to be woven into his pattern of behavior. UConn did it with the responsibility of having signed a contract with an albatross of a buyout, spending much of the past two years collecting information that ultimately would be used as tools to break free.

If the Huskies had continued to win under Ollie, UConn would be sending checks to some high profile Midwest law firm and helping its coach build a defense. Because the team started to lose, and continued losing, the university can play the angle that it has rid itself of a coach gone wrong and set a righteous path for the future of its program. But there is no middle ground and these battles begin before its participants even realize they are fully engaged.

None of it feels right. Not Ollie’s behavior, and you wonder why, how, he lost his way. Not UConn’s. And now no one looks good. There are no winners here and won’t be, even after the money lands in Ollie’s bank account or stays in UConn.

Ollie became increasingly distant on some fronts, strangely close on others. A trainer in question, Derrek Hamilton, was pulled into UConn's orbit and Ollie ousted longtime friend and assistant coach Glen Miller. And now, look at this, Miller was granted immunity before testifying to the NCAA that he heard, through his wife, a story about Ollie arranging a payment of $30,000 to the mother of a player.

That is totally unsubstantiated, Miller even testifying that he doesn’t have the facts, and the claim is not part of the for-cause fray. It is a brief, twisting story to which there may never be clarity, but a sign that things can always get uglier in cases like this, that you never know what you might find with a microscope.

Right now, though, we’ve got jump shots. We’ve got a call to Ray Allen. We’ve got impermissible workouts. It makes Ollie look a little desperate, unprepared. It doesn’t make him filthy. It doesn’t compare to what other coaches, even his mentor Jim Calhoun, were accused of doing or were found guilty of doing.

It just doesn’t feel like a collection of offenses that form a concrete case to deny him money.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:39 pm

He was fired for just cause.
"Just cause we wanted him gone"

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all