Let the speculation begin

This forum is to discuss the buzz on our peer and up-level conferences.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Let the speculation begin

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 pm

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Let the speculation begin

Post by J.J. » Mon May 01, 2017 10:21 am

First, this is just a student-written article with a lot of speculation and guessing about conference realignment.

Robert Morris has ZERO chance at membership to either the Patriot League or CAA. Neither league will be looking to visit the Moon Township campus to evaluate them for potential membership invite anytime soon.

The Patriot League has no plans for expansion, but Monmouth and Marist immediately come to mind as more likely options.

And the CAA plans to expand to any school north of Delaware is very unlikely in the immediate future. But Stony Brook, Albany, Monmouth and even Quinnipiac are in a much better situation for potential CAA expansion than Robert Morris.

---
Furthermore, my reading of the situation is that Robert Morris also isn't a likely candidate for membership in the Horizon League because:

- Bobby Mo doesn't sponsor BASEBALL and the Horizon will be down to just 6 baseball schools with the departure of Valpo.
- RMU currently fields just 3 men's sports that the Horizon League sponsors - Soccer, Basketball, and Golf.
- Horizon League doesn't sponsor FCS football.

So I just don't think there will be any mutual interest between Robert Morris and the Horizon League.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Now the local media in (Beaver County, PA) is starting to speculate about Bobby Mo to the Horizon League. I still think it is a longshot for the reasons I posted before, but it is yet another NEC school flirting with another league.
Tuesday, the commissioners of the Missouri Valley Conference voted to invite Valparaiso to join that circuit, the next in a series of chain reaction moves among colleges that started when Wichita State left the MVC for the American Athletic Conference in early April.

That chain will continue, as the Horizon League will seek a school to replace Valpo and find an even number of teams. Where it will end is anybody’s guess, but you can count Moon Township among the places it might land next.

Robert Morris has committed to building a new, 4,000-seat, on-campus basketball facility to open for the 2018-19 season as part of a $50-million commitment to athletics facilities that was announced in January.

"With a new venue of this quality and size, RMU cements its status as a university on the rise," president Chris Howard said at the unveiling of the plan for the facility.

If the school wants to rise in men’s basketball, it’s going to have to eventually outgrow the Northeast Conference. The NEC, where the Colonials have played since 1981, is one of the least-successful basketball conferences in Division I. In the 2016-17 season, KenPom.com rated the NEC’s teams next-to-last in the country.
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/colle ... 73cf6.html

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue May 09, 2017 6:51 pm

Even the The Sporting News is speculating that RMU might be a candidate for Horizon League expansion.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... p3l88ab2y1

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:47 am

If RMU goes... That will do noting to stem the tide of XFERS and will keep the NEC in the basement of conference standings for years.. On one hand We have a " University on the rise" - RMU and on the other we have CCSU with a ding-bat Philosophy Professor spouting that CCSU should go Intramurals only ....I need a drink
To raise new questions, new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks real advance in science.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed May 10, 2017 1:55 pm

Larryl9797 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 11:47 am
If RMU goes... That will do noting to stem the tide of XFERS and will keep the NEC in the basement of conference standings for years.. On one hand We have a " University on the rise" - RMU and on the other we have CCSU with a ding-bat Philosophy Professor spouting that CCSU should go Intramurals only ....I need a drink
Has anyone from the University spoken up to shoot the ding bat down? Or is he considered a non threat and more of a joke?

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed May 10, 2017 10:50 pm

I know we all beat this confence issue like a dead horse but I surely hope the powers that be at CCSU and the NEC have some kind of contingency plan when (not if) RMU or any other school like Wagner leaves.

I can see the collapse of the NEC as a football conference if nothing is done now to shore things up.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:16 am

Skyhawkct wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 10:50 pm
I know we all beat this confence issue like a dead horse but I surely hope the powers that be at CCSU and the NEC have some kind of contingency plan when (not if) RMU or any other school like Wagner leaves.

I can see the collapse of the NEC as a football conference if nothing is done now to shore things up.
Right now I see these 3 teams shopping.
RMU - Verified by sporting news
Bryant - We all know they have the itch- Just like QU
Wagner - I would put them at the bottom of the Get Out List but they have put capital into the program and would talk.

Contingency should be: AE for all other sports except football. CCSU should take the QU approach and find the Conferences that fit the best for the sports they are supporting. QU is like in 4 different conferences.
To raise new questions, new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks real advance in science.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu May 11, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm also looking at it from a conference point of view Larry. Since leaving the NEC will not happen unless the conference collapses, I'm hoping that the conference is looking out for itself as well.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat May 13, 2017 2:10 pm

More rumors about RMU potentially to the Horizon League. Here's a series of tweets from a Detroit sports writer:
Tony Paul‏ (@TonyPaul1984) May 10
Robert Morris is target of Horizon League, but no baseball -- that's an issue. HL down to six teams; one more, it loses auto NCAA bid.
He has tweeted with others about RMU and contends his sources are "very reliable"

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat May 13, 2017 2:37 pm

Personally, I am starting to think Robert Morris could go to the Horizon League if they expand with more than 1 school.

The lack of a baseball team is a real issue for the Horizon League and RMU will likely have to find other conferences for football and lacrosse.

RMU Sports
Men's & Womens' Basketball - NEC ---> Horizon
Men's & Women's Soccer - NEC ---> Horizon
Men's Golf - NEC ---> Horizon
Softball - NEC ---> Horizon
Volleyball - NEC ---> Horizon
Women's X-Country/Track - NEC ---> Horizon
---
Men's & Women's Lacrosse - NEC ---> ??? (MAAC)
Football - NEC ---> ??? (Big South)
---
Men's Ice Hockey - Atlantic Hockey
Women's Ice Hockey - College Hockey America
Women's Rowing - MAAC

Again, BobbyMo to the Horizon League is certainly not out of the realm of possibilities, but if it does happen only 3 Men's sports would actually be in the Horizon League (Basketball, Soccer, and Golf)