CSCU president warns Gov.-elect Lamont about dire state of state college and university system

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

CSCU president warns Gov.-elect Lamont about dire state of state college and university system

Post by J.J. » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:50 pm

Connecticut State Colleges and Universities President Mark Ojakian is warning Gov.-elect Ned Lamont that declining enrollment and diminishing support from the state is threatening educational quality for students.

“These cumulative reductions have left some of our libraries and computer labs closed on nights and weekends, reduced security, diminished physical and mental health services, reduced tutoring, eliminated opportunities to support sports and clubs, among other eliminations and reductions of core student services,” CSCU staff wrote in a primer for Lamont that presents the grim financial realities of the system as well making the case for its importance to the economic health of the state.

“I think we have tried to show the new administration who we are as a system, why we are critical to to the future of the state of Connecticut,” Ojakian said in an interview Tuesday. “If we want them to invest in our institutions, we have to show them why … It’s a vision piece as well that provides hard data, cuts in the past and what we would need to be whole in the future.”
http://www.courant.com/education/hc-reg ... story.html

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: CSCU president warns Gov.-elect Lamont about dire state of state college and university system

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:35 pm

I can’t say anything about any CSUS institution other than ours, but I know that Dr. Toro is driven to increase enrollment to the tune of 15,000 undergrads although stats show that it dropped from 10,700 to 9,500 over the past four decades.

I’m not sure how Lamant will treat the non UC schools but I’m hoping that being a former adjunct prof at CCSU will be a bonus.

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: CSCU president warns Gov.-elect Lamont about dire state of state college and university system

Post by newbritainite » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:31 pm

It dropped because CCSU is more selective and mostly full time students.
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 *
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The lone CT Men's Basketball team in the NCAA Tournament in 2007.