The Race for Governor

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

The Race for Governor

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:30 am

So, heard at the debate last night, one of the first thing Stephanoski (sp?) said was he wanted to look at the budget of state schools, specifically sighting CCSU, I heard it in passing as I was dealing with a flooded basement clean up. Did anyone else catch that? Like CCSU can afford to lose more money? Unless he was talking about that whole board of regents thing which could really use a shake up.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Race for Governor

Post by J.J. » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:09 am

ccsuhoops wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:30 am
So, heard at the debate last night, one of the first thing Stephanoski (sp?) said was he wanted to look at the budget of state schools, specifically sighting CCSU, I heard it in passing as I was dealing with a flooded basement clean up. Did anyone else catch that? Like CCSU can afford to lose more money? Unless he was talking about that whole board of regents thing which could really use a shake up.
I didn't catch it, but honestly I don't think either candidate is going to make Central or the State University System budget and governance a big issue for the voters.

Lamont, an adjunct CCSU prof and a Democrat, certainly supports more funding for higher education, but I'm not sure we can tax our way to a bigger budget without some reforms. That being said, I've never heard or seen him do anything for the benefit of CCSU, and what I've read is most of his proposals and ideas focus on the UConn.

Stefanowski, a former CEO and Republican, is pledging to keep taxes down, which will likely lead to reduced or stagnant funding for CCSU. He is fiscally conservative and might look into further higher education reforms, but he has been light on any details.

I can't say I'm excited about either guy, and I certainly don't seen or heard anything that makes the State Universities an important issue for them. The State is facing massive issues and unfortunately it sounds like these guys are using the Washington, DC playbook and making every issue about party ideology --- unfortunately that is the LAST thing Connecticut needs right now.

We need someone who is going to tackle the State's problems head-on and understands that the solutions will come from both sides of the aisle. Connecticut is in the position because of the increased partisanship that has seeped its way from Capitol Hill to Hartford.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:18 pm

I don't know if you classify this quote as "fake news" or if this guy should be tested for drugs. In either case, he should not be teaching out our State's "flagship" university.

In what document anywhere is CCSU the biggest line item in a budget?
"If you look at the state budget, CCSU and UConn are the two biggest line items."
UConn professor Fred Carstensen
http://dailycampus.com/stories/2018/9/2 ... epublicans

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:10 pm

There must be a way for the public to see the budget and determine the facts here.

I think it's possible he added CCSU as to not focus solely on UConn when the axe falls. If he didn't mention CCSU, the finger pointing would be in only one direction.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:58 pm

"If you look at the state budget, CCSU and UConn are the two biggest line items."
I think that it is probably UConn and then the entire Conn. State Univ System second. That sounds reasonable enough, but I am sure that UConn gets by far the biggest slice of the pie.