Future of CCSU athletics- 2018 ...

Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Future of CCSU athletics- 2018 ...

Post by Deltaguy1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 pm

The results of the report are out in the media and from Pres. Toro.
See: http://www.courant.com/sports/college/h ... story.html

and, News Release
CCSU Athletics Task Force releases cost-saving recommendations
CONTACT: Mark McLaughlin, Assoc. VP of Marketing & Communications (860) 832-0065 (860) 977-3274

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – January 23, 2018

NEW BRITAIN, Conn. – In May of 2017, CCSU President Zulma R. Toro formed a task force and charged it with studying the sustainability of the CCSU athletics program. Key elements of the charge were to develop recommendations for how the athletics program can optimally support the following institutional goals: explore how athletics provides a sense of community on campus, enhances CCSU’s relationships with alumni and the local community, enables CCSU to remain an affordable choice, and enhances the academic experience for all CCSU students. Following six months of deliberations by the task force, Central Connecticut State University announced the development and approval of a Blue Devil Athletics Sustainability Plan. Key elements of the plan are:

· To remain a Division I NCAA Program

· To reduce the number of sports from 18 to 16 by the end of the 2018 spring season; the two sports to be eliminated are the Men’s and the Women’s golf programs

· Phase-in changes of approximately $2 million on an annual basis, which includes the elimination of 35.5 scholarships (phased-in to honor existing commitments)

· Require full and partial (above tuition and fees) athletic-scholarship recipients to live on campus

· Implement a formal five-year strategic plan, including a revenue generation campaign

· Conduct an efficiency review, which will include a review of staffing levels and mix of part-time and full-time positions

· Implement a multidisciplinary Advisory Committee to enhance the transparency of the Athletics Program

· Create structural changes in the management of the University and CCSU Foundation, Inc., by eliminating expenses not tied to student success or overall athletic success

· The University will match dollar-for-dollar any Athletic Program donations and sponsorships deposited into the CCSU Foundation, Inc., in excess of the five-year average of $580,000, up to a maximum of $150,000, beginning with State FY 2020

President Toro thanked the Task Force and Dr. Christopher J. Galligan, Vice President of Institutional Advancement, who chaired the task force, for the recommendations. She said, “This is a prudent approach to maintaining the excellent collegiate experience CCSU offers. It will also assure that Blue Devil Athletics can provide our student-athletes distinctive opportunities to pursue excellence in competitive sports and in the classroom. I am especially pleased that these recommendations will also enable Central’s Athletics Program to continue to offer our communities in New Britain and Hartford an exceptional level of sports entertainment.”

“It was not an easy decision by any means, and I’m sure I speak for the rest of the Central Family when I say that we regret that we will be eliminating two sports teams. I sympathize with the student-athletes and the coaches of those teams who will no longer be able to pursue their competitive sports aspirations at CCSU. I appreciate their gracious acceptance. And I thank the students and their coaches for their cooperation.”

Dr. Christopher J. Galligan, Vice President of Institutional Development and Chair of the CCSU Task Force on Athletics Sustainability, said, “Blue Devil Athletics is an important part of the collegiate experience at Central. This plan, with its built-in measures to monitor progress and efficiency in achieving sustainable financing, will enable Central to continue to offer programs of academic and athletic excellence. Of course the loss of two athletics programs affects us all, and I share President Toro’s regrets. But the continuing decline in state funding and the Athletics Program’s increasing dependence on CCSU Foundation funding made it imperative to reduce the University’s expenses in this area. As the Task Force came to recognize during our deliberations, it also became imperative that we restructure some elements of the funding arrangements for the Program. I am confident that these steps will help ensure the Programs’ long-term ability to field very competitive teams and contribute its distinctive value to our students, the campus community, and the communities CCSU embraces.”

###

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Future of CCSU athletics- 2018 ...

Post by Larryl9797 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 am

I was thinking LAX but that might put CCSU in title IX non compliance....

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am

Feel bad for the golf kids obviously but this could have been way worse and I hope its all over for a while to come. Why was this even set into motion? Was this strictly Toro coming in and flexing her muscles? Or is it across the board, all 4 CSU's and Uconn or are they immune? What I like about the report are:

1. We stay committed to being d-1. Guess we all knew it but there was lots of chatter in all of the rumor mills so glad to see it published.

2. LOVE that scholarship athletes must live on campus. Avoids the entire football debacle all together. I know we chatted about this on the board and some were for and some against however I'm a big fan of this.

3. Are the 35.5 scholarships all from golf? Or do we have to start worrying about football where we already don't have enough.

4. Implement a multidisciplinary Advisory Committee to enhance the transparency of the Athletics Program - huh? Is this a problem or just a line item to be blown off?

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:21 pm

1. We stay committed to being d-1. Guess we all knew it but there was lots of chatter in all of the rumor mills so glad to see it published.
That would have been the worst case scenario. I did not want to become another Savannah State.
http://savannahnow.com/local-colleges/n ... ivision-ii
2. LOVE that scholarship athletes must live on campus. Avoids the entire football debacle all together. I know we chatted about this on the board and some were for and some against however I'm a big fan of this.
This probably would have avoided the 2017 Great Football Debacle. But i don't see how it saves any money. I would assume that if an athlete wants to live off campus the college would save money by not having to provide an on campus room
3. Are the 35.5 scholarships all from golf? Or do we have to start worrying about football where we already don't have enough.
Probably no effect on Football or men's and women's BB, I would assume that they will stay the same. I would think that some of it is Golf and other sports that are going to lose scholarships. At lower D1 schools like CCSU many of the athletes in low profile sports are on partial scholarship or walk ons. I had a friend whose daughter was a starter on the SHU field hockey team, I said to him "well that must be nice to get a little assist in the price of college." To which he replied, "not a cent. She does it for fun."
4. Implement a multidisciplinary Advisory Committee to enhance the transparency of the Athletics Program - huh? Is this a problem or just a line item to be blown off?
Gobbledygok for the state bureaucracy.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:01 am

Larryl9797 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 am
I was thinking LAX but that might put CCSU in title IX non compliance....
If I recall correctly Larry, CCSU had to cut a successful wrestling program and add Womens LAX for Title IX compliance many years ago.

Im not criticizing Title IX but unfortunately schools like CCSU don’t have a profit making MBB or football program that can float these other sports.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:06 am

Yes, it could have been much worse. I had no info but i thought we were heading to D-2 or even D-3.

In some ways, Im glad this “plan” came out. Ive been complaining for years that the program has no direction and I now think this may be a start.

One thing for sure...unless the NEC folds, it will be our home probably for the rest of my life which is OK considering the alternative.

Next step...a search for a new AD who can do what he/she can with what we have.

bigbluefan1965
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by bigbluefan1965 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:12 pm

I think many of the recommendations in the report are very good, I just hope Football, MBB, or WBB are not affected. I'm mostly concerned about football where CCSU finally has started to make some progress, any reduction of scholarships in football would only set the program bac. In fact, I was hoping that we would see scholarships added to football moving forward however that is probably off the table now.

I was talking to a gentlemen the other day, his three sons are CCSU graduates and the topic of D-1 Athletics came up. The comments he made about the CCSU Athletic Assessment Report were not just aimed at CCSU, but at all the small colleges that went D-I since the 1980's. His opinion was that it is a big waste of money for schools such as CCSU, Hartford, Sacred Heart, Marist, Rider, etc to be in D-I. There is no way they can be competitive. The odds of making a tournament in the big three sports, FB, MBB, and WBB are slim and the odds of succeeding in a tournament are null. He remembered the days of a solid D-II classification when there was true competition among evenly matched colleges. A D-II championship may not be as glamourous as a D-I championship, but people need to keep things in prospective and compete at there proper classification.

I will say, I agree with him. The "old" days were great when there was a "solid" D-II classification...before everyone abandoned it to pursue a pipedream of D-I glamour. However, I am glad that CCSU did not drop down to D-II now because it is no longer the D-II our parents and grandparents used to watch. CCSU (CCSC) use to be a big name in these parts as a D-II program. Now it tends to be a bit of a joke with a chuckle and a wise crack attached to every reference. It's not CCSU's fault, it is how the world changed. D-II was dying as schools abandoned it so CCSU did what it needed to do. Right or wrong, it was the right choice at the time and staying in D-I is the right choice now.
"Complaining becomes a habit. Focusing on the negative also becomes a habit. It’s one of the most detrimental habits you can possibly have." -- T Harv Eker

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:08 pm

I don't agree with him at all!
The present situation is a much more fun than the D2 days.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:54 pm

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-cen ... y,amp.html

It appears they did a thorough study and had some impressive individuals with a finance background on the committee, so I'm going to assume the results were the best options available. Overall, this is the right way to go about bad news - be transparent. President did a good job here.

I too had heard Athletics was taking a lot of Foundation funding to keep up. Just wasn't sustainable. I know Galligan and crew will put us on the right path.

My only suggestion would have been to keep both golf teams and drop Women's Lacrosse instead. Sorry, but that program isn't advancing any of our institutional goals. That team has never had a winning season, and I don't think they ever will. I would assume that WLAX has much higher costs (equipment, recruiting, schollys, travel, etc) than the golf teams. I understand Title IX implications, so I would have cut men's schollys across the board to find the savings. I just think dropping 2 very successful golf teams and keeping a WLAX team that has never been competitive in the region was a bad idea.

I totally understand the need to shed some scholarship expenses (although that is a sad situation itself), but even if you removed most schollys from men's golf and some other men's teams, I think that would of been a better option. But I wasn't on the task force or have any access to the info they did, so this is just my opinion.

I knew D-I was the only way this was going to end, and the mere suggestion of D-II is harmful to the school, so let's all agree to move on. CCSU is and will remain a D-I program under the current NCAA paradigm.

I also knew we will start to see even more guarantee games in football and basketball. That's just the reality of the NCAA right now - games vs. the P5 will have to help subside programs like ours.

Finally, glad to see we can begin the search for a AD soon.

bigbluefan1965
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by bigbluefan1965 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:08 pm
I don't agree with him at all!
The present situation is a much more fun than the D2 days.
In some ways it is more fun now. I have enjoyed witnessing CCSU compete against some big name teams and pulling off several big upsets in thier D-I days. I am excited about the strides football has made and I believe if it wasn’t for the Debacle of 2017 they would have beaten New Hampshire.

CCSU just needs consistency among the big three sports.

Also, I believe interest will decline unless they get some type of Audio broadcast whether it be commercial radio or an internet stream. Video streaming kills to much data for me to follow whennI am traveling. Also, CCSU needs its own broadcast feed on the road not the opponents. I felt totally disconnected from CCSU sports this year, my worst year ever as a fan.
"Complaining becomes a habit. Focusing on the negative also becomes a habit. It’s one of the most detrimental habits you can possibly have." -- T Harv Eker

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:08 pm

I would rather have less sports and stay at D1. There could be more trimmed besides Golf if it comes to that. The school could have club sports in the place of discontinued D1 sports for the pure scholar athlete.
Anyway, in my opinion, as long as they can keep FB, MBB and WBB at D1 everything else is expendable.
My thinking is that Football could probably be made to pay for itself with a couple of BCS schools on the schedule.
I like baseball a lot and have attended some Central games, but dropping baseball and softball would save a lot of money and probably not upset the Title IX balance. It would not bother me as baseball is a minor college sport.
Many private schools have dropped sports in order to save $$$. Providence dropped baseball about 20 years ago. Boston U, UofH, Quinipiac, and Fairfield don't have football teams.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:47 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:08 pm
I would rather have less sports and stay at D1. There could be more trimmed besides Golf if it comes to that. The school could have club sports in the place of discontinued D1 sports for the pure scholar athlete.
Anyway, in my opinion, as long as they can keep FB, MBB and WBB at D1 everything else is expendable.
My thinking is that Football could probably be made to pay for itself with a couple of BCS schools on the schedule.
I like baseball a lot and have attended some Central games, but dropping baseball and softball would save a lot of money and probably not upset the Title IX balance. It would not bother me as baseball is a minor college sport.
Many private schools have dropped sports in order to save $$$. Providence dropped baseball about 20 years ago. Boston U, UofH, Quinipiac, and Fairfield don't have football teams.
I disagree somewhat. We are still the 2nd largest public university in Connecticut and so having baseball and softball is very important as it is still a very popular sport. As you know, we got our current baseball coach when PC dropped the sport.

Generally, people think that a wide variety of sports and other activities is great at the high school level because it allows kids to develop other skills - so why doesn't the same apply in college?

We are in this position for 2 reasons - 1) the economy of the State is in a horrible place, and 2) the "cost" for amature college athletics is out of control because the NCAA and major universities have turned it into a semi-professional endeavor.

What the NCAA and schools like Texas, Ohio State, etc. have done to ruin college sports is disgusting. The entire landscape has changed exponentially since 1986.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 pm

WLAX has an all-time record of 70-182 (.277) in 17 seasons. We've never had a winning record and finished .500 just once (2013).

We have only qualified for the NEC Tourney twice and lost in the QF both times.

We are on our 7th head coach (and the 3rd in 4 years). Only one coach has lasted for more than 3 seasons.

Not sure we will ever see the light at the end of the tunnel ... and I think we could have saved more money dropping this team instead of golf.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:07 am

Sounds like that should have been on the chopping block however not at the expense of football or basketball scholarships.Heck, can that and get more football scholarships! Anyway, the reason we are d1 is the entire reason I went to CCSU. I wanted that experience. I love sports, had zero desire then to watch d2 and still have that same feeling. I'm glad we'll never go there. It doesn't make sense. I'd be happy if we could concentrate on the bigger sports honestly, football, basketball (m/w), baseball and softball. I'm sure there are others but those are the biggest for me at least. I really think that football is turning that corner and basketball will be next. Would be nice if the NEC allowed full scholarship football. Hopefully we can get there some day..

bigbluefan1965
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by bigbluefan1965 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 am

I agree with Hilltoppers viewpoint. CCSU should focus on sponsoring less sports and make sure FB,MBB, and WBB are viable and have adequate D-I funding.

Choose what you want to do and do it well. CCSU can’t afford to be a jack of all trades in athletics as it results in mediocrity across the board.

FB, MBB, and WBB are your three most marketable and sellable options in CT and the New England region, especially for public schools in my opinion.