CSCU Leader Proposes Consolidating Community Colleges Into One System

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

CSCU Leader Proposes Consolidating Community Colleges Into One System

Post by J.J. » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Connecticut’s 12 community colleges would be consolidated into a single college led by a vice chancellor for a savings of $28 million under a plan released Tuesday by the leader of the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities system.

That new college, which would be called the Community College of Connecticut, would be the fifth largest community college in the country with 52,761 students.

Mark Ojakian, president of the CSCU system, said the plan is “all about making it easier for our students to stay in school, to complete their education and to ultimately get a job and contribute to the Connecticut economy.”

All campuses and satellites will continue to exist under the plan, Ojakian said, but the consolidation will allow the CSCU system to cut back on administrators and invest in services that directly affect students, Ojakian said.

The plan calls for the elimination of all of the community college presidents, chief financial officers and chief academic officers or provosts, replacing them with a single vice chancellor to oversee the one college, a single provost and a single chief financial officer, Ojakian said.
http://www.courant.com/education/hc-new ... story.html

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: CSCU Leader Proposes Consolidating Community Colleges Into One System

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 am

I actually agree with this proposal since CT is such a small stare geographically.

Let me throw this out...

Collectively, Central, Southern, Eastern and Western have a total undergraduate population of about 31,000, the size of many large universities in the nation.

Would a similar consolidation make sense for the CSU system?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:01 am

Skyhawkct wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 am
I actually agree with this proposal since CT is such a small stare geographically.

Let me throw this out...

Collectively, Central, Southern, Eastern and Western have a total undergraduate population of about 31,000, the size of many large universities in the nation.

Would a similar consolidation make sense for the CSU system?
I don't think it would be awful, but it very hard to implement at the university level. The problem has become the System Office became duplicative or oversight of campus functions which added little value. The old CSUS System Office was a lot of bloat and the Board of Regents wasn't any better.

I think most "Administrative/mission support' functions such as Human Resources, Finance/Accounting, Procurement, Information Technology, Financial Aid could be consolidated at the System office for the 4 universities. Keeping Admissions, Academic schools and programs, and Athletics at the Campus level.

No offense to the Community Colleges, which offer 2-year degrees, but their complaint that consolidation would hurt their identity and programs just doesn't hold water. In this case, you can strengthen the enter community college system by leveraging all the campuses across the state. The idea that Manchester has to be 'unique' from Norwalk is silly. Each campus serves the local community, and students who commute don't pick campuses based on programs.

At the university level, that is a much different scenario. Students do travel across the state to attend the university that best fits their interests. It will be interesting what happens next, but honestly I don't trust Ojakian or the Board of Regents will do anything positive for Central or the other campuses. He is the fox in the henhouse.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:26 pm

At Thursday’s meeting, Hector Navarro, a student at Naugatuck Valley Community College and student representative to the board asked what the plan would mean to the regional universities.

Ojakian said there are no plans to do to Western, Southern, Central and Eastern universities what is being done to the community colleges but there are efforts being made to share services, leverage purchasing contracts and implement best practices across the system.
http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Col ... 291132.php

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Interesting developments.

Off on a tangent, I got so frustrated when everyone was concerned about UConn during the last budget go around...but not a peep was mentioned about the CSU system.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Here is the latest update from today's NH Register. Two CCSU professors are quoted in the article.
http://www.nhregister.com/local/article ... o-14703310