Prof Blitz is trying to undermine CCSU athletics!

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Prof Blitz is trying to undermine CCSU athletics!

Post by J.J. » Tue May 02, 2017 9:15 am

Contact this faculty member and inform him of the important role that intercollege athletics plays in higher education, especially the importance of D-I for Central Connecticut State University.

Students and academics need to come first, and that includes support of athletics and other extra curricular activities that make our graduates well-rounded and ready to compete in the real world (outside of an academic utopia). I don't support most of Mr. Ojakian proposals, however the administrative bloat at the system level is obvious and some consolidation of support functions is necessary. I'm all for an open dialog to help put the CSU System, and CCSU in particular, on a better fiscal foundation, but Mr. Blitz's editorial and proposal is as ignorant and self serving as Mr. Ojakian's.

David Blitz
Professor, Philosophy
Marcus White Hall 302
Phone: 860-832-2916
Email: Blitz@ccsu.edu
By DAVID BLITZ
May 2, 2017, 6:00 AM

The recent proposal by Connecticut State Colleges and Universities system President Mark E. Ojakian to reorganize the community colleges and universities by consolidating institutions and functions seems to meet the conventional wisdom that universities and colleges should be run like a business by streamlining operations when budgets get tight.

Although this may seem uncontroversial to those outside the university, the proposal ignores the specificity of public higher education, which is emphatically not a for-profit business and cannot be run that way.

This is not to say that higher education can flout basic economics: We do have to balance our budget, and I will suggest some ways, quite distinct from those proposed by the CSCU Board of Regents, to deal with the chronic budget shortfall.
— Reduce the tens of millions spent by the Connecticut State Universities such as Central Connecticut State University on intercollegiate sports, while maintaining on-campus intramural sport activities.
His full Op-Ed pice can be found here: http://www.courant.com/opinion/op-ed/hc ... story.html

mookie924
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Re: Prof Blitz is trying to undermind CCSU athletics!

Post by mookie924 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:44 am

I just read Professor Blitz's diatribe. Spoken like a philosopher. Someone that has never been in business or even tried to balance a budget, let alone his own check book. Perhaps the state could reduce Professor Blitz's $167K salary along with what JJ is calling the administrative bloat, which is quite evident. Like any government owned and operated institution, there is always lots of room to reduce costs and improve operating efficiencies, but you have to want to do that. If you want an easy way to reduce the $20mm deficit, increase tuition by $500 per student. CSUS tuition is pretty cheap.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Prof Blitz is trying to undermine CCSU athletics!

Post by Shoreline » Wed May 03, 2017 6:41 pm

"Increase tuition by $500 per student." mookie924.

No, the problem is not that our tuition is too low. The problem is that the level of State support is too small. Connecticut is a very wealthy state and yet politicians still refuse to do what is right. It is simply a case of cowardice under fire.

And an uniformed professor railing against athletics? That is about as predicable as it gets.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed May 03, 2017 7:24 pm

ShorelIne is correct. The percentage of state funding for the CSU system has drastically been reduced over the past several decades.

I don't have the stats but my estimation is that when I was a freshman, the state funded over 60% of tuition. Now, and I'm pretty sure of this, the state funds less than forty percent.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu May 04, 2017 9:23 am

You guys are exactly right.

Over the last decade, State appropriations only account for about 25-35% of CSUS expenditures. By comparison, in that same period State appropriations accounted for about 50% of Community College expenses.

The State University System should have NEVER been merged with Community Colleges!!!! The State should have kept it's 3-tiered system (UConn, CSUS, and Community Colleges) as it was.

Also, I would note that about 60% of all CCSU positions are teaching - whereas about 25% of UConn positions are teaching. In 2014, about 44% of all CCSU expenditures went to instruction; only 27% of UConn expenses went to instruction.

The State Higher Education system is in need of reform - but CCSU does more with less - and needs a larger seat at the table. Professor Blitz is clueless and has not offered any real proposals. What is truly needed is an independent commission to evaluate and make proposals for statewide reform of higher education strategy, organization, and funding.

https://www.ctohe.org/News/pdfs/2016/20 ... Trends.pdf

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu May 04, 2017 4:18 pm

— Reduce the tens of millions spent by the Connecticut State Universities such as Central Connecticut State University on intercollegiate sports, while maintaining on-campus intramural sport activities.
His full Op-Ed pice can be found here: http://www.courant.com/opinion/op-ed/hc ... story.html
[/quote]

There is always that one guy :roll: :roll: :roll: Does his philosophy class bring in as much money as football alone will get from Syracuse this season? I can't even bring myself to click the link as it would end up in breaking works laptop, lol. Perhaps his salary should be reviewed. $167 k for a class that will not help students make any real money in the real world, perhaps should be reduced.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri May 05, 2017 9:37 am

D-I Student-Athletes are a vital part of Central Connecticut State University and Prof. Blitz should be made aware of opportunities provided to the students and the academic achievements.

This is what is meant by success in the classroom and on the field.
The Central Connecticut Department of Athletics held its annual Senior Awards Banquet on Wednesday evening in Alumni Hall on the CCSU campus. The department honored seniors Christine Rasile (Swimming and Diving) and Nicki Turley (Women's Soccer) with the prestigious Gail Rutz Award, which is presented annually to the top female athlete(s). On the men's side, seniors Joe Gioielli (Men's Cross Country/Track) and Ed Groth (Football) were honored with the Frederick M. Gladstone Award, which is presented to the top male athlete(s) of the senior class.

In addition to the Gladstone and Rutz awards, seniors Nicole Dean (Volleyball) and Mike Petersen (Football) were honored with the Coca Cola Awards for having the highest grade point averages among female and male senior student-athletes, respectively. Senior Stephanie Czulewicz of swimming and diving was honored as the Most-Improved Student-Athlete and the women's golf team was recognized for having the highest team GPA among CCSU's 18 Division I sports.

Director of Athletics Paul Schlickman also presented the Director of Athletics Award to seniors Kelsey Murphy (Women's Lacrosse) and James Frey (Men's Track and Field).

Schlickmann presented the Blue Devil service award to former Academic Advisor Bobbie Koplowitz, who lost a brief battle with cancer in August of 2016. The award was presented to Bobbie's three daughters who were in attendance for the event.

In addition, all 75 senior student-athletes and 10 members of the cheerleading and dance teams were honored for their commitment to Blue Devil Athletics over the last four years.

Also, 134 CCSU student-athletes received the Academic Award for having a GPA above 3.20 over the last two semesters.

Of the 134 Academic Awards recipients, 40 were also honored with a place on the Travelers Athletic Directors All-Academic Team. The student-athletes on the Travelers team have a cumulative GPA above 3.50 for their collegiate careers.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/general/2 ... 0504gx14wq