RMU's New Facility

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

RMU's New Facility

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Dang, why did I go to public school again? Get a load of this place.

http://northeastconference.org/news/201 ... MU_17.aspx

Pitchfork317
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Re: RMU's New Facility

Post by Pitchfork317 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:33 pm

http://www.rmu.edu/Athletics/events-cen ... nter-video

This place looks so nice....
"The center is the main part of a $50 million project that also adds a separate student recreation and fitness center at the North Athletic Complex on campus. That 2-story student recreation and fitness center will be completed by the start of the Fall 2017 semester, adding two indoor intramural basketball courts, a fully-equipped weight room and cardio room, two additional rooms for Pilates and other exercise training, plus men's and women's locker rooms, all for general student use."

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:38 am

The old center is newer...by far...than Kaiser.

Don't be surprised if RMU pulls a Monmouth and moved to greener pastures.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:40 am

I wouldn't feel so bad honestly. Too dang far and they are hardly the North East.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:54 am

I do think RMU is exploring other options, but their location and football there is no easy solution. I could envision them looking to join the Horizon Conference as a member and put football in the Missouri Valley Football conference just like Youngstown State.

I would also note that while the new facility is being built RMU will play its home games at a downtown arena (the former home of the Pittsburgh Penguins).

If someday Kaiser Hall had to be razed in order to build a new facility, could you really envision CCSU renting the Hartford Civic Center for a season or two of home games? Of course not, we'd likely play at New Britain High School or D-III Trinity College while our home court was unavailable. :(

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:04 pm

You're probably right. Mohegan Sun would be nice. I'd so be willing to suffer a year for a new gym however! Heck, they can play in the quad for all I care! lol

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:28 pm

That video rendering was absolutely fantastic. This is yet another facility that is EXACTLY what CCSU needs!! A combination athletic, recreation, and reception facility of about 4k arena style seating.

Everyone knows we can't build anything like that on State financing alone. I would love to see us lobby hard for one of the major insurance or health-care related companies step up and partner with the university to build a wellness/recreation center (that also serves as a suitable home venue for D-I athletics).

Can you envision a $50 million Aetna/Humana Health, Wellness and Recreation Center at Central Connecticut State University? [-o<

A major investment by Cigna or Travelers could increase their marketing and exposure nationally as a health and insurance giant. We would love to have Stanley/Black & Decker put its name (and dollars) on an innovative and environmentally friendly facility in New Britain which could have an architecturally unique design to complement their brand as hardware tools that build America.

And while their HQ is in Southwestern Connecticut, how about getting Xerox or Starwood Hotels to invest and put their name on such vital piece of infrastructure that will improve State's oldest public university and establish a marketing foothold in the Connecticut for decades.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 pm

If someday Kaiser Hall had to be razed in order to build a new facility
That statement conjures a wonderful image in my mind, a thing of beauty!!!!!

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:14 pm

I often wonder if the "powers that be" ever just say "we have to do something" as these palaces are being built all around?

I completely got it when Dr. Miller talked about education being a priority over athletics but when our "premier" indoor facility is older and crappier than the one's that are being replaced at other schools, it MUST set off some alarm bells somewhere.

I sound like a broken record but whatever minimal work may be done to the gym as a result of the new rec center just isn't going to cut it. It will be the same gym with a few new seats and a glass upper wall on the north side as part of the rec center.

Back in 1986, when CCSU went D-1, there was some talk about building something equivalent to the Mullins Center. I was 31 then. I'm 61 now and honestly, my ashes will be spread across the sea long before a new arena is built.