Charter Oak State College - Educational Bureaucracy

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Charter Oak State College - Educational Bureaucracy

Post by J.J. » Tue May 03, 2016 6:01 pm

I have to keep asking, why do we have an independent State-run online university on the campus of CCSU?

I suspect it would be much more efficient and beneficial to CCSU for the State to reorganize Charter Oak as a "Academic School" at Central Connecticut State University. It would be operated just like the School of Education, or the School of Continuing Studies. Charter Oak College at CCSU could be our online college offering bachelor's and associate degree completion programs for adults. Many universities, both public and private, have used online learning as an virtual extension of their campus. And if done correctly, it could also bring in some much needed revenue to CCSU.

Just get rid of all the overhead and administration and that Charter Oak has and instead just supplement the existing resources at CCSU as needed. Why does Charter Oak need a President and Business Offices? Charter Oak would be headed by a Dean at CCSU and would be able to develop its academics in coordination and collaboration with the brick and mortar teaching done at Central. The State would save money and any profits could be invested in CCSU, thereby lowering the tuition and fees for traditional students.
Charter Oak State College has announced tuition for its first master's degree program, which commences this fall.

The per-credit cost for residents will be $468 vs. $489 for non-residents. By comparison, Central Connecticut State University's per-credit cost for residents is $577 vs. $985 at Quinnipiac and $724 at UConn for full-time students.

Not including associated fees, that means a grad student could expect to pay $15,444 at Charter Oak. A CCSU grad degree, based on 33 credits, would cost $19,041. A Quinnipiac master's would cost $32,505.

This is the online public university's first graduate program. The Master of Science in Organizational Effectiveness and Leadership is a 33-credit online degree. The program includes the option to choose one of two tracks – business or nonprofit. Registration is now open.
http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article ... /160509981

aerosyne
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Re: Charter Oak State College - Educational Bureaucracy

Post by aerosyne » Tue May 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Man, that's depressing to read. Very little movement has been made to build the state universities not named UConn into respectable master's level universities, and now Charter Oak is set to offer a master's degree. For an even bigger kick in the teeth, I bothered to look up what this master's degree would entail, and none of it constitutes what I would consider material for a master's degree, let alone a Master of Science which is supposed to be focus on entry-level research, theoretical material and culminates in a thesis. For those curious, here's a link to the program breakdown: http://tinyurl.com/zlf343t

To answer the question you initially posed, J.J., the reason is because the school cannot make up its mind where to put itself, which is stupid because it's an online-only college so you could set it up in an outhouse if you had enough generators to power the servers. As for absorbing it into the university, it's more tricky than it would seem because COSC has a sister organization, the CTDLC. To absorb COSC would also require you to either absorb or dissolve CTDLC, which would also be a big job since the organization offers a couple of online educational services to universities and collegiate institutions across the nation.

On paper, it would be a solid idea and would completely benefit the state, CCSU and the student body of both COSC and CCSU. In reality, it would never work for a litany of reasons:

- Most of the staff at CTDLC and COSC come from management backgrounds in practice and in formal educations. In my time working with both organizations, it was very evident that those who sat at the top of the payroll understood very little of how online education works, what you need to set it up and maintain it properly, and how to deliver a quality experience.

- The staff at these two organizations is also very lazy, which seems to be a trait for many state-funded organizations, education-centered or otherwise. Most of them that aren't keeping the servers and software up and running clock out by 2PM, and it wasn't uncommon that people would procrastinate incredibly important tasks or outright refuse to do them. I personally watched a sequence where the IT Help Desk worker needed one of the Sys-Ads to make some changes to get a virtual workstation up and running, so he sent him an email, and then went to talk to the Sys-ad directly when he didn't get a response. The Sys-Ad told the worker to use the IT ticketing system and send the request from there, which he did, and the ticket was promptly closed out and trashed. The worker ended up having to get the IT manager and the CEO involved just to get his workstation up and running so he could actually do his job. I wish I could say that I only saw an event like that once (which is still too many).

- Both institutions are sucking state money up like super Hoovers to the point that during the entire stint I was working with them, they were constantly in the red. Tons of money got spent on useless gadgets, like a Segway robot that you could put your iPad on and remotely attend meetings, or on an initiative to push all staff onto Virtual Workstations, despite there being tons of connection problems in doing so that cost the organizations more time than the money saved by getting rid of all the perfectly good towers. If you were to go to CT Transparency, which lists all state employee salaries, you'll find that the staff at both CTDLC and COSC that hold management positions make a ton of money; ludicrous sums in my eyes since I've seen these folks 'work'. Pay cuts and layoffs to management would be the best solution, but good luck getting these folks who are comfortably ahead and have gotten comfortable to getting paid tons of cash for doing very little.

TL;DR, it would be really nice and ideal since the infrastructure is already setup. It honestly would put CCSU on the map, but the state continues to see COSC as the favorite sibling, so it will keep dumping money into it, even if it's a giant red ink-stain on the budget, so there's little hope of a merging of the two or us getting our land back until COSC decides it wants to move.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue May 03, 2016 7:57 pm

aerosyne,

That's some great insight. A depressing read for someone who would like to see more transparently and efficiency in State government. But you captured the issue perfectly.

As I suspected, it's a great idea to merge COSC into CCSU for a ton of reasons, but the political and institutional support for such an idea isn't there. If only most taxpayers knew what we know ...

aerosyne
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by aerosyne » Tue May 03, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks, JJ.

The state would probably put out hits on most of us on this board if we ever did a 'tell-all' because of all the skeletons lying around. I'm frankly amazed at how much of these problems are just sitting out in the open, yet people miss constantly miss them. Then again, you can't really fault the public when their attention is constantly diverted, what with national news happening in the milliseconds instead of days now, and smart phones pumping an obscene amount of information to us at all times.

deman
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by deman » Tue May 03, 2016 9:47 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Charter Oak started in Farmington. How the hell did they take up residence on our campus? Our campus is landlocked and yet we give up land so another state college can set up residence? Makes no sense. I hope Miller's replacement fights to make Charter Oak a college of CCSU no matter the difficulty in doing so. It would not only save the state money but would increase Central's enrollment by 2500. Seems to me it would be worth the effort. Lots of positives for CCSU to do this.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed May 04, 2016 6:24 am

Great insight on all of your posts gentlemen. The state is loaded with beaurocracy as we all know.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed May 11, 2016 5:05 pm

Look at the proposed 2017 State Budget:

Board of Regents for Higher Education
Charter Oak State College - $2.4 M
Community Tech College System - $161.4 M
Connecticut State University - $153.6 M
Board of Regents - $446 K
Transform CSCU - $0
Developmental Services - $9.5 M
Outcomes-Based Funding Incentive - $1.6 M
Total $332.7 M

University of Connecticut - $229.9 M

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-2017 ... story.html

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed May 11, 2016 5:06 pm

UConn is funded 50% more than the entire the 4 CSU campuses combined.

deman
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by deman » Wed May 11, 2016 9:34 pm

JJ, why do you sound surprised? Seems like business as usual to me.