CCSU Constructs Historic Building Project Campaign

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: CCSU Constructs Historic Building Project Campaign

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:03 pm

I'm wondering how current and accurate this PDF is. The plan is from 2009-2020 and we're approaching the end date.

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:13 pm

I thought it was recently issued despite the "2009" date.
2017 NORTHEAST CONFERENCE
FOOTBALL CHAMPS - Undefeated In The NEC

Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The lone CT team in the NCAA Tournament in 2007
#CCSUCLASSOF2004

deman
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by deman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:44 pm

Not to change the subject, but I read on one site that we no longer will sponsor men's & women's indoor track and field as varsity sports, thereby reducing our varsity teams from 18 to 16. You would have thought that after waiting 30 years for upgrading our indoor facilities that a permanent structure that nearly doubles the size of the bubble would have provided sufficient space to actually host indoor track meets, but no. In typical Central fashion we add by subtraction. Can't this university do anything the right way? Why does everything we do have to be half a$$? :(

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:48 am

deman wrote:Not to change the subject, but I read on one site that we no longer will sponsor men's & women's indoor track and field as varsity sports, thereby reducing our varsity teams from 18 to 16. You would have thought that after waiting 30 years for upgrading our indoor facilities that a permanent structure that nearly doubles the size of the bubble would have provided sufficient space to actually host indoor track meets, but no. In typical Central fashion we add by subtraction. Can't this university do anything the right way? Why does everything we do have to be half a$$? :(
I hadn't heard that. But again this is no surprise to most of us, if true.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:32 pm

It is kind of a bummer. Track and Field is the foundation of competitive athletics. It is basic, "let us see who is the fastest!"
At least we still have Football.
UofH, Q, and Fairfield have track teams.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:46 pm

That sux. I hate to see us lose ANY sport.

We once had a first class wrestling team that competed well with regional powers like Boston College but that was dropped years ago.

Pitchfork317
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Pitchfork317 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:33 pm

My assumption would be to save money but do any of you think they will add sports (long shot)?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:14 pm

J.J. wrote:
deman wrote:Not to change the subject, but I read on one site that we no longer will sponsor men's & women's indoor track and field as varsity sports, thereby reducing our varsity teams from 18 to 16.
I hadn't heard that. But again this is no surprise to most of us, if true.
deman - Not sure where you read that, but I don't think that is true. I'm asking around, but right now I'm not sure there is any truth to it.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:22 pm

I have confirmed. There is no truth to that rumor.

CCSU is not cutting T&F or any sport!

aerosyne
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by aerosyne » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:27 pm

J.J. wrote:I have confirmed. There is no truth to that rumor.

CCSU is not cutting T&F or any sport!
I would've been blown away if we cut T&F considering it's really the only sport we show up in and, quite frankly, handily dominate.

In regards to the size of the Engineering Building, I may have spoke too soon. I took a look at the old building blueprints for the university I'm attending for graduate study and the civil engineering department building is just under 46K sq.ft total. As long as the plan is to ensure that the new building properly spaces out the new labs and the school doesn't intend the structure to house upwards of six entirely different engineering/technology disciplines permanently, it should be fine.

Still, more space would be nice, but until the university figures out what to do with the East Campus land, 100k should be adequate for two engineering disciplines, a handful of engineering tech disciplines that generally share the same lab tools and a handful of tech disciplines that can have their classrooms dual-function as labs. Hopefully we get a real structures lab and more labs for geotechnical work to get an engineering master's degree established; Central needs research grant money if it wants to grow and clearly step out of the awful shadow that is the NEC.

Edit: I'm a tool and missed that the IT department would be relocated to the new Engineering building/Library add-on. While I'm not sure if this includes classrooms and labs for the IT-centered degrees and classes, if it does, that's even more room for engineering related stuff. Fingers selfishly crossed!

Pitchfork317
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Pitchfork317 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:18 pm

I don't know guys...I don't like this at all.

http://ctmirror.org/2016/04/27/cts-maxe ... -projects/

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:09 am

Skyhawkct wrote:I don't know guys...I don't like this at all.

http://ctmirror.org/2016/04/27/cts-maxe ... -projects/
Agree Sky, not good news for the State as a whole

But let's be honest the Bond Commission hasn't been doing its job for years! Way too many, non-public projects have been financed and bonded by the State.

Why does Goodwin College get a penny of State money? If we limited the projects to State infrastructure, we would still have to make tough choices, but we wouldn't be in this position of maxing out our credit.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:13 pm

JJ

The public would be shocked to learn of all the bonded money going to private construction projects.

Goodwin College is a good example and there are a lot more...including private universities.

What makes me scratch my head about Goodwin is why are we finding a non profit school (pays NO taxes) who's programs in nursing and other disciplines that are in direct competition with state university programs?

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:07 pm

I do not know the details of the Goodwin College story, however understanding how government bureaucracy operates I would say that someone influential in East Hartford or from East Hartford pulled some strings with the Governor and State Reps. Not even realizing or caring that this is in direct competition with UConn and the Conn.State University System.