Here is a pic of the rendition of the rec center. Nice design
Attachments
image.jpg

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Kaiser Hall 2 B renovated & expanded

Post by Skyhawkct » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:06 pm

I tried to rotate the picture but to no avail.
Attachments
image.jpg

Deltaguy
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by Deltaguy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:46 pm

Sky, thanks for the "shot". Is that taken from the new Focus magazine? (For those who don't know, Focus is a wonderful Alumni magazine that is sent to all alumni of the university. If you are an alumnus or alumna, but do not receive it the mail, contact the alumni office at 860-832-1740. It really shows everyone all the great things that are happening at and to the university.)

Anyway, that's the first rendering of the field house that I've seen. It's a fairly simple looking design, but, and I hate to say it, it's better than nothing. The administration, of both the school and the athletics department, should not hide these announcements, drawings and designs. It doesn't matter how much into the future these go. Let's see what will be happening or what might happen. Who knows, there might be another Huang out there!

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:52 pm

It's from the "Currier" Delta. The photo doesbt do it Justice...IMHO...it's really a nice design.

I was at a Woman's game trying to explain this to a friend who dissaproved...claiming the subsequent minor renovations to Kaiser isn't enough. I tried to explain that this is not meant to be a new facility for basketball but only an add-on from the new rec. facility. I don't think he got it.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:09 pm

I agree with your friend and wish this was for basketball AND new rec center. Press box and vip seats will only make it better for a select few...

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Instead of building it sideways they should build it like this:
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.78 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
:)

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:33 pm

I agree also hoops but I couldnt get the point across that the project is NOT a renovation of the basketball facility. He just didn't get it...so I just gave up trying to explain it. And Hill...thanks for straightening it out!

I do like the design...simple but with character.

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Wow. Ella Grasso Drive reborn!!!

Larry.... Agreed!
I bet you are correct!

It seems as if the new entrance will be toward Ella Grasso Drive?
I imagine the new main entrance will be where the bubble connects to the main part of Kaiser and will include a tall grand entrance to accommodate the expanded seating on the North side / second floor seating.

Sky,

The bubble replacement will not cost a lot... Steel frame with brick outside... Likely little glass. It will be a big shell with much internal space.

Today is a big day for us who Bleed Blue. Finally, the day has come!!!

Perhaps a showcase arena will be state/city funded downtown eventually. If this falls through, will it go on the new East Campus?
Last edited by newbritainite on Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 *
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The lone CT Men's Basketball team in the NCAA Tournament in 2007.

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:02 pm

hilltopper wrote:Instead of building it sideways they should build it like this:
image.jpg
:)

hilltop,

Good pic but it has the wrong name...perhaps it may be called "The Howie Center" not "Huang Center"... But he was generous enough to give to the university, so it is only very proper.
CCSU Class of 2004

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:51 pm

bigbluefan1965 wrote:Don't get me wrong guys, I believe this is a good project.

Sky, I agree they are not going to trash relatively new seating, a new floor, and a new PA system so soon after being installed. I just hope there is some forward thinking built into the plans so when it is time (and when the money is available) Detrick Gym can be renovated and upgraded as part of the new facility. I'd hate to see them throw $17M at a new building and renovations to the old building only to say 10 years down the road "If we planned ahead we could have renovated the gym in 2024 with minimal affects on the newer $17M building.

Sky, I think you know what I'm getting at here when you think back to Arute Field. The original Arute grandstands where a great idea, but think of the flexibility CCSU could have had and the money they could have saved if they planned ahead and cut the new grandstand ffrther back into the parking lot, thus giving them room for stands on the other side without having to trash the rest of the outdoor athletic facility.

Anyway, I don't want to take the attitude of "be happy with what you get", I just wanted to voice my opinion on forward thinking at CCSU. I hope there is some forward thinking here and this just isn't a patchwork job, short term throwing good money at a long term bad idea.

Is there a new master plan or are we still on the amended '99 plan?
If so, I believe it looks as if it calls for a new arena tbb on Kaiser Lot.

When will the university move forward with this?

IMHO, they will never build on Kaiser Lot; space is needed for football tailgating! ;p

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:06 am

Skyhawkct wrote:Yeah, we need to keep in mind that this is a new rec center and NOT a new or renovated basketball facility. The gym will be improved to a point but not to where it elevates the program.

On the plus side, the new rec center will alleviate pressure on kaiser insofar as it being the only building for team practices and intramurals thereby giving the varsity sports teams more flexibility for practice.

This also answers my own question...Where will the winter sports teams play during construction? They will play in Kaiser, all the way through since there will be minimal work on the gym itself.

seriousky, I realize now that I'll never see a new arena at CCSU in my life time.
A gymnasium is a gymnasium.
How much"lipstick" can they put on it?

Yes,one day we will have an arena to call our own and one day we will beat UConn!
CCSU Class of 2004

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:54 am

Guys...I finally realized that I'll never see a new arena for CCSU anywhere, any time in my life. As far as naming the rec center? The way our MBB team has been over the last few years, The coach will be lucky if he's allowed in the place, let alone having it named after him.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:52 pm

aerosyne
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by aerosyne » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Why isn't this plan made public? Why is this a secret and not made available on the CCSU website? What is so hard to be transparent?
I'll be honest and have no idea, considering how many actual projects are slated to start within the next two years (it's a fair amount). My guess is that, after having to fight with UConn on nearly everything and deal with huge bureaucratic inefficiencies all over , CCSU simply found it easier to just be that kid who just says 'Yup' to everything the bigger sibling says and does or asks of him/her. If I were in a relationship and wanted to do something I really dreamed of doing, but my significant other said 'No, it's too dangerous/expensive', I'd probably still do it, I just wouldn't say anything about it if it was that important to me.
IMHO, they will never build on Kaiser Lot; space is needed for football tailgating! ;p
They're planning on taking a chunk of it out for the new dining hall that's slated to be started this summer; the few lots behind Gallaudet. I can't say that they plan on removing all the surface lots, but it's pretty clear that if they need to put a building on that land or a garage, they're going to do it. If they did ever put a garage on it, it would need to be open-air which you could still tail-gate at; it's just not as open/pretty.
Yes,one day we will have an arena to call our own and one day we will beat UConn!
If we had had the team we had planned on back in August 2014, the game could have been winnable. It wouldn't have been easy, but UConn is pretty not great this year.
Guys...I finally realized that I'll never see a new arena for CCSU anywhere, any time in my life. As far as naming the rec center? The way our MBB team has been over the last few years, The coach will be lucky if he's allowed in the place, let alone having it named after him.
Unless you're late 60s/early 70s, I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. The amount of working going into the campus is far more than the university has ever done in the last 15-20, or at least since my first summer classes back in '09. It would not surprise me if the East Campus is dug into before 2020 and finished before 2025. Plus, after all the royal fiscal screw-ups with UConn on the orders of multi-millions of dollars and the only real value it adding is one consistently marketable sports team, if I were at the top of the group running the state, I'd rather dump the money into a place that isn't even close to reaching a plateau in profitability and growth anytime soon.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:34 pm

So when is the scheduled ground breaking for this new rec center?
Pardon me if it was stated earlier in the thread, but I could not find it.