Kaiser Hall 2 B renovated & expanded

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kaiser Hall 2 B renovated & expanded

Post by J.J. » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:59 pm

aerosyne - Thanks for being positive, but let's face some cold, hard facts.

There are some individuals in leadership positions at CCSU with the responsibility for planning, budgeting, and facilities that should have been fired years ago. The lack of transparency regarding projects and budgets is done on purpose to hide the failures of the CAO office. Central lacks both the management or political influence with the former CSU BOT or the state legislature to accomplish anything significant for decades.

It has been posted here multiple times by multiple people that CCSU's planning and investments in campus facilities lacks when compared with our CSU peers at Eastern, Southern, and Western. The gap in funding and buildings between UConn and CCSU is very obvious, however it is also used as an excuse by some people at Central. CCSU is decades behind in campus infrastructure improvements and the lack of enrollment growth is because we've haven't expanded our capacity for residence halls or classroom space. Even these current projects recently completed or ongoing don't actually expand CCSU infrastructure, as much of it will be used as swing space while older buildings are taken offline.

I graduated in 1997, and in the following 18 years CCSU has just 1 new residence hall under construction and completed just 2 new academic building (Vance Academic & Social Sciences building). Sure, there were some other renovations (Police station, Student Center, etc), but that is nothing compared to what was built in New Haven, Williamantic, and Danbury during that same time.

deman
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by deman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:53 pm

Since CCSU is landlocked, shouldn't CCSU look into taking over UConn's West Hartford campus that they are abandoning soon? This campus consists of sixty acres and five buildings designed to accommodate up to 2000 students. Dr. Miller mentioned his desire to have a campus in downtown Hartford, but the West Hartford campus is practically move-in ready. The campus has its own student center, cafeteria, auditorium and library. This would be a quick way to increase student enrollment with very little expenditure by the state since it is a state owned property anyway. It just seems to be a no-brainer for a landlocked institution to pursue. I'm baffled that this opportunity isn't even being considered by Central.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:16 am

I was thinking the same thing Deman but I'll bet WH would love to turn that into tax generating property.

I appreciate Aeoryne's enthusiasm as well but I have to agree with JJ. Our infrastructure program isn't on par with our peers. The east side campus has been discussed for God knows how many years. Back in the 80's, there was talk of an arena modeled after the Mullins Center, every project we hear about has been delayed for years. We even lost a full year of construction of the football field and track because of an administrative permit screw up. (Remember the field growing out of control?)

Yes...the campus has had a great turn around since I graduated in 1978 but...it could have been even more amazing with the right kind of planning and support from Hartford.

Now taxpayers are going to foot the bill for a new XL center while pigeons roost in the ceilings of Willard and Diloretto.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:32 am

I don't think that Central has any interest in a West Hartford campus. If it did, (although technically the state owns the campus and it would be sold to another state entity) it is also owned by uconn, and I do not know the legal requirements; but it seems to me that it is an asset of uconn. Would they be interested in helping out Central?
Anyway, what would Central use that campus for? It would need to have some sort of shuttle system between the campuses. I think that, as Dr. Moore has said, they are interested in a Hartford campus. There is a preexisting connection which would cost the university nothing. Fastrak would connect the main campus with Hartford as well as any potential buildings at the New Britain (Main St.) end of the Fasttrak.
Central has the potential of expansion at both ends of the Fasttrak as well as somewhere in the middle (the main campus and East campus), all connected to together by Fasttrak. They have lucked out purely because of chance location, now it remains to be seen to what degree they take advantage of that situation.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:47 am

hilltopper wrote:I don't think that Central has any interest in a West Hartford campus. If it did, (although technically the state owns the campus and it would be sold to another state entity) it is also owned by uconn, and I do not know the legal requirements; but it seems to me that it is an asset of uconn. Would they be interested in helping out Central?
Anyway, what would Central use that campus for? It would need to have some sort of shuttle system between the campuses. I think that, as Dr. Moore has said, they are interested in a Hartford campus. There is a preexisting connection which would cost the university nothing. Fastrak would connect the main campus with Hartford as well as any potential buildings at the New Britain (Main St.) end of the Fasttrak.
Central has the potential of expansion at both ends of the Fasttrak as well as somewhere in the middle (the main campus and East campus), all connected to together by Fasttrak. They have lucked out purely because of chance location, now it remains to be seen to what degree they take advantage of that situation.
Fully agree. Our #1 priority must be the Stanley Street campus. Any expansion (outside of the East Campus) will happen in Downtown New Britain and Downtown Hartford. We can the call CT FastTrack the CCSU Campus Connector. :)

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:29 pm

ooops! I wrote Dr. Moore, I meant Dr. Miller. :oops:

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:09 pm

I'm not sure about UC but I do know the state, in general, is trying to sell off unused property. I don't know the zoning of the UC West Hartford campus area, but if it's zoned commercial, you can bet it will be sold to a developer. Even if it's residential, it's land that WH would love to get on its tax base.

I doubt WH would let it deteriorate similar to the former mental health care facilities in Middletown and Southington.

It is unfortunate though...I would like to see CCSU use it somehow.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Well...amid another CCSU athletic season with little to cheer about, you guys may be happy to know that there are construction demarcation flags along the eastern perimeter of the bubble. This usually indicates preliminary steps of a survey of a construction site.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:24 pm

Was wondering what those were.

Thanks Sky.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 pm

YW Hoops. I will use caution and say that they could be for things like marking underground utilities but that could also be construction related. Let's see what happens this Spring.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:17 pm

I will use caution and say that they could be for things like marking underground utilities but that could also be construction related. Let's see what happens this Spring.
That was my thought when I saw it....perhaps making underground connections to the new dining hall next to Gallaudet and Vance Halls. It would be nice if it were for the Kaiser do over.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Your observation makes sense too Hill.

I need to caution though that the proposed project isn't a makeover of Kaiser. Rather it's a whole new recreation center that will replace the bubble complete with its own name.

There will only be some minor improvements to Kaiser on the north side where it will match up with the new building.

Pitchfork317
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Pitchfork317 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:54 pm

I wish they would expand the gym - blow the roof off and take this baby into space.

Pitchfork317
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Pitchfork317 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:34 pm

Any news on this renovation?

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:14 pm

Nothing new that I know of. I think we may see construction start next year.

I know I sound like a broken record but nothing much will be done with Kaiser. Other then some cosmetic improvements and taking down the north wall for the "suite" and some extra seating, Kaiser will be pretty much the same since the project is really focusing on the new rec center.