Kaiser Hall 2 B renovated & expanded

bigbluefan1965
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Kaiser Hall 2 B renovated & expanded

Post by bigbluefan1965 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:51 am

ccsuhoops wrote:I can't imagine it would be like that BB.

Hopefully we get all that and additional student section behind the basket where the cheerleaders stand. I'd love to see 4000 capacity. I'd be ok without a seperate arena if they can spuce up the existing and make it classy and completely lose its sweaty old gym feeling.
Seating behind the baskets including a student section would really help upgrade it from the current high school gym look to a newer more modern D-I look. 4,000 seats would be perfect add in the 500 VIP seats upstairs and you might be talking about 4, 500 seats. That would be perfect for CCSU, anything larger would feel half empty most of the time. Hopefully the Kaiser renovations will be on par with the Outdoor Facilities renovations CCSU recently completed. I love everything about that project with the exception of the fact that there is no end zone seating. Arute still has that "field" look and atmosphere vs. a "stadium" look and atmosphere. I hope Kaiser has an "arena" look and atmosphere after the renovation as opposed to a "gym" look and atmosphere.
"Complaining becomes a habit. Focusing on the negative also becomes a habit. It’s one of the most detrimental habits you can possibly have." -- T Harv Eker

aerosyne
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by aerosyne » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:29 am

I'm not being negative here, the renovations are great but they seem to be more geared to recreational/student life rather than improving the D-I athletic experience for your average fan at CCSU. Bruce, Marc, and the "VIP's" will be comfortable, but what about us average guys in the stands?
To be fair, there isn't a lot to get excited about with the last few years being losing seasons. I do agree that more/better layman seating would be nice, but frankly, I'd rather get a centralized fitness facility so that some of the small workout areas in the existing dorms can be axed and replaced with more beds. Granted, loss of convenience with that, but having more bodies to combat the weekend emptiness would be fantastic.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:27 am

Actually, I think that's the primary goal of the project Aero.

bigbluefan1965
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by bigbluefan1965 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:47 am

Skyhawkct wrote:Actually, I think that's the primary goal of the project Aero.
By Aero
a centralized fitness facility so that some of the small workout areas in the existing dorms can be axed and replaced with more beds. Granted, loss of convenience with that, but having more bodies to combat the weekend emptiness would be fantastic.
I agree Sky and Aero, this is the primary goal of the project and I'm not being critical of the intent of the plan. Student life, a fitness facility, etc all go hand in hand with creating a quality campus experience which should lead to a better D-I experience. All I'm saying is that reasonable upgrades to the arena at Kaiser Hall should be incorporated into the plan. To often CCSU initiates a project and it only meets 75%-80% of the goal I believe the goal here should be the total package...the fitness facility, improved student life, campus experience, AND an improved D-I facility to enhance the D-I experience for your average Joe Public fan. An air conditioned press box is great, 500 VIP seats are great, these are great components of the plan, but what is in it for the average fan, alum, or even the student who will now be staying on campus as a result of a better campus atmosphere. Without addressing the general seating capacity of Detrick Gym and the amenities available to the average Joe Public fan I believe the project falls just short of being forward thinking. At minimum the arena portion of the facility needs to compete with the University of Hartford's facility. Without these components in place we will all be here 10 years from now typing "should have, could have, would have".
"Complaining becomes a habit. Focusing on the negative also becomes a habit. It’s one of the most detrimental habits you can possibly have." -- T Harv Eker

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:14 am

We shall see. I'm trying to find plans somewhere. I'm sure they will show up on the Internet somewhere.

Regarding renovations to the gym itself. I don't think the money is in place to do much, considering the 17+ million includes a new building.

I know I'm repeating myself but they aren't going to trash the relatively new seating, floor and PA for a totally new renovated gym. What makes kaiser look like crap are the disgusting restrooms (is it me, or does it NOT smell in the men's room?), the tubes, pipes and conduits added on in the gym throughout the years and a concession stand that looks like a PTA bake sale.

I can see a renovation making kaiser more aeththically pleasing, addressing these items, but I don't see, what many of us feel, will be a new "arena" type venue.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:03 pm

I think we are months away before we see any indoor renderings, but here's a 3D computer model of the exterior.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:42 pm

They should put a big a$$ logo on the roof like on the football field but bigger ;-)

bigbluefan1965
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by bigbluefan1965 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Don't get me wrong guys, I believe this is a good project.

Sky, I agree they are not going to trash relatively new seating, a new floor, and a new PA system so soon after being installed. I just hope there is some forward thinking built into the plans so when it is time (and when the money is available) Detrick Gym can be renovated and upgraded as part of the new facility. I'd hate to see them throw $17M at a new building and renovations to the old building only to say 10 years down the road "If we planned ahead we could have renovated the gym in 2024 with minimal affects on the newer $17M building.

Sky, I think you know what I'm getting at here when you think back to Arute Field. The original Arute grandstands where a great idea, but think of the flexibility CCSU could have had and the money they could have saved if they planned ahead and cut the new grandstand ffrther back into the parking lot, thus giving them room for stands on the other side without having to trash the rest of the outdoor athletic facility.

Anyway, I don't want to take the attitude of "be happy with what you get", I just wanted to voice my opinion on forward thinking at CCSU. I hope there is some forward thinking here and this just isn't a patchwork job, short term throwing good money at a long term bad idea.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:05 pm

Well, I surely can't disagree BB.

From the exterior rendering, we can easily see that the only rehab to the gym will be on the north side. It appears that the walls and classrooms on each side will remain as they are.

The Unknown Fan
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by The Unknown Fan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Like the rest of you guys I have not seen any plans or artist renderings on what this new rec facility and gym renovation will look like. However, based on past history I would not get too excited particularly where the Detrick Gym renovation is concerned. Other than a new press box and some additional VIP seating I don't think we will see many more discernible changes. They are not going to be blowing out walls to make room for seating behind the baskets. The seating capacity will go from a little over 3000 to about 3600 or so tops. Remember when Kaiser Hall was built in the mid 60's the seating capacity was around 4200. I can remember watching CT High school tourney games there with the likes of Calvin Murphy ( Norwalk), Tom Roy ( South Windsor), Bill Reaves ( Wilbur Cross), Bill Wendt ( Norwich) where to the dismay of the fire marshal they used to pack in close to 5000 fans by setting up temporary seating behind the baskets. There is no way that this new retrofit project will bring the capacity back to those original numbers. And yes Bigblue1965 this is unfortunately another band-aid job. Again taking whatever scraps we can get has been our history and by all accounts will continue to be our future. And Skyhawk, I agree there are other upgrades that could and should be made ( restrooms, concessions ) but as you mentioned, what can we really expect based on the 17 million figure.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:01 pm

As I said earlier, a new phys ed facility is a great idea.
However, the implications for a BB venue are bleak.
According to my calculations, of the money allocated for this project, $17,872,368.01 will pay for the new building leaving 99 cents for the renovations to the gym.

aerosyne
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by aerosyne » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:11 am

Again taking whatever scraps we can get has been our history and by all accounts will continue to be our future. And Skyhawk, I agree there are other upgrades that could and should be made ( restrooms, concessions ) but as you mentioned, what can we really expect based on the 17 million figure.
I'm going to borrow this as a jumping point to say that I've gotten to take a gander at the full new master plan for the university and not the single photo on SMMA's website and, unless the university diverts radically at some point, they've been following said plan to the tee. By this, I mean that this renovation isn't really geared towards making Kaiser the de facto sports complex, but more that it's a necessary stop-gap renovation so that students will have much better recreational facilities to use on campus. With said facility, they can do full (and needed) renovations to all the dorms and update them/expand them while making the push for the real athletics complex that's included on said master plan.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:46 am

Yeah, we need to keep in mind that this is a new rec center and NOT a new or renovated basketball facility. The gym will be improved to a point but not to where it elevates the program.

On the plus side, the new rec center will alleviate pressure on kaiser insofar as it being the only building for team practices and intramurals thereby giving the varsity sports teams more flexibility for practice.

This also answers my own question...Where will the winter sports teams play during construction? They will play in Kaiser, all the way through since there will be minimal work on the gym itself.

seriousky, I realize now that I'll never see a new arena at CCSU in my life time.

Pitchfork317
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Pitchfork317 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:02 pm

FYI - University of New Haven added a very nice facility a few years back. Granted they are not D-1 but what they were able to do with $15.5 Million should excite the CCSU communnity. The best part is CCSU's new facility will be larger and more expensive... I'm excited!

http://www.newhaven.edu/ChargerREC/Beckerman-Center/

Hopefully it doesnt take 10 years to throw up...

progress for attracting new bball recruits.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:33 pm

aerosyne wrote:
Again taking whatever scraps we can get has been our history and by all accounts will continue to be our future. And Skyhawk, I agree there are other upgrades that could and should be made ( restrooms, concessions ) but as you mentioned, what can we really expect based on the 17 million figure.
I'm going to borrow this as a jumping point to say that I've gotten to take a gander at the full new master plan for the university and not the single photo on SMMA's website and, unless the university diverts radically at some point, they've been following said plan to the tee. By this, I mean that this renovation isn't really geared towards making Kaiser the de facto sports complex, but more that it's a necessary stop-gap renovation so that students will have much better recreational facilities to use on campus. With said facility, they can do full (and needed) renovations to all the dorms and update them/expand them while making the push for the real athletics complex that's included on said master plan.
Why isn't this plan made public? Why is this a secret and not made available on the CCSU website? What is so hard to be transparent?

I think most people on this board wouldn't be so critical of the university and certain offices regarding campus development if we knew what their plans were. For the life of me I just can't understand the poor communications from the university on positive issues such as this.

I've banged my head against the wall enough to know, some things won't change until there is some new blood in some of these positions.