Kaiser Hall 2 B renovated & expanded

Deltaguy
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Kaiser Hall 2 B renovated & expanded

Post by Deltaguy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 pm

Well, finally, more information has been released on the project that calls for renovating Detrick Gym and replacing the bubble.

Three things: many of us wish that there was a separate or attached new bb arena and not a renovation project
Secondly, the bubble replacement, which looks to be almost double the size of the bubble, should be four times the size
Lastly, when they replace the bubble, is there any way at all to save it and maybe put it on the recreational field next to the baseball stadium outfield?

This information is on the "construction site" off the state of CT's OPM web site. I hope you can read this:

Request for Qualification
Due Date 11/21/2014
Summary
Renovate/Expansion of Kaiser Hall and Kaiser Annex at CCSU
Cost Estimate
$17,872,369.00
Connecticut State University New Britain, CT

Contact Name Randy Daigle
E-Mail randy.daigle@ct.gov
Phone (860) 713-5696
WebSite
http://www.ct.gov/dcs/
Additional Description
Construction Manager at Risk (CMR)* - Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP): A Construction Manager at Risk (CMR) shall be selected to publically bid the project elements and enter into a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) contract with the State. After consultation with and approval by the DAS Commissioner, the CMR shall award subcontracts to responsible qualified subcontractors submitting the lowest bids to build the Project. *Construction Manager at Risk (CMR) reviews and participates in design and the production of the construction documents with Owner and Architect. The CMR solicits trade bids on behalf of the Owner from trade subcontractors on a competitive basis. The CMR shall agree upon a Guaranteed Maximum Price to perform the work identified in the Bid Documents and enters into contracts with these trade subcontractors to perform their trade work. This Project’s Scope of Work shall include, but not be limited to, the following: The Division of Construction Services (DCS), Department of Administrative Services (DAS) is seeking the services of a highly talented and experienced Construction Manager At Risk (CMR). The CMR will provide construction management services to the DCS in support of the renovation and expansion of Kaiser Hall and Kaiser Hall Annex at Central Connecticut State University in New Britain, CT. Project will include the construction of a new 70,000 square foot recreation center on the CCSU campus at Ella Grasso Boulevard and Kaiser Drive. The present 34,000 square foot air supported fabric structure comprise the north wing of the facility will be dismantled and replaced by a new multi-story structural steel frame building. The new recreational center will create a new complex for the recreational, athletic and educational needs of the 12,000 CCSU students as well as faculty and staff. The facility is anticipated to provide squash, racquetball, basketball and multi-purpose courts; as well as an elevated wellness track; exercise and fitness areas; studio space; offices; and meeting rooms; and restroom, shower and locker facilities. The project will also renovate the existing Kaiser Hall gymnasium to include the construction of a first and second floor entrance to the gymnasium; construction of a new 500 seat second floor air conditioned Press Box and VIP seating area. All improvements will meet ADA standards and comply with CCSU facility standards.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Kaiser Hall 2 B renovated & expanded

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:37 am

Thx for the info Delta.

It's probably not what many of us had hoped for but if they can convert the gym into a first class arena, I'm ok with it.

Now...I wonder where the teams will play during construction? They won't have the luxury of playing in Kaiser while a new arena is being built. Maybe they can play in the downtien arena? ;-)

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:59 pm

That is interesting indeed! Good news and bad news, hmmm.
The good news is that the bubble will be replaced with a real building, and a larger (than the bubble) one at that.
The bad news is that the renovations to the gym mean that there is not going to be a new gym in the near future.
I would like to know more about the 2nd floor with 500 more seats. Where would that put the seating capacity?
It is going to be interesting to see this develop.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Yeah, I'm disappointed that there won't be a new arena but...there are renovations and there are renovations. The Chase Arena is really a renovation of the old gym...so some renovations can produce first class results.

kaiser has had a lot of work in the past. A new lobby, new floor system, new scoreboards, new seating and a new PA system so I'm imagining this proposal has to be something more than a new can of paint.

This is strictly conjecture but I'm imagining blowing out the north wall for more seating,maybe even providing that VIP section with food service area and skyboxes.

I have no idea what they have planned but if they are going to invest the money, it has to be a serious improvement.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:03 pm

I think this is fantastic and as good as we can realistically hope for.

First, build a new, expanded, and permanent building for recreation to replace the tiny bubble - fantastic! This is great for the campus, not just athletics.

Next, transform the look and feel of Detrick from a multipurpose gymnasium to the performance court with stadium-style seating and VIP boxes. As long as the total capacity is in at least 4k, and the renovations are professionally designed, I will be very pleased.

Honestly, this is almost too good to be true. It is what we have been waiting for decades to happen, I will get really excited when I see the concept drawings from the architect for both projects.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:54 pm

JJ wrote:Next, transform the look and feel of Detrick from a multipurpose gymnasium to the performance court with stadium-style seating and VIP boxes. As long as the total capacity is in at least 4k, and the renovations are professionally designed, I will be very pleased.
I would be pleased with what you described, but are we sure that is going to be the result? The building replacing the Bubble should be a great addition to the campus. But somehow I have the feeling the gym renovation is going to be a cheap facelift.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:02 am

I agree Hilltopper. As I posted, most of the renovations that took place are fairly recent. They won't trash the new seats to totally renovate the gym. It would be great if they did what UH did but my gut is that they won't. I tried to locate the design plans but had no luck.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Raise the roof
Push the North South Walls out
Blow out the classrooms that face the Dorms.

Turn where the classrooms *were* into a the new Atruim style entrance. Lost of glass and light.
Convert into a horsehoe style stadium seating for 4K persons...
Add real exec suites.
Replace bathrooms
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:25 pm

That scenario makes sense. Let's see.

17 Million isnt really a lot to work with considering there is a whole new building being considered.

The Unknown Fan
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by The Unknown Fan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:37 pm

Your right Skyhawkct. 17 million is not that much for a new building and a renovation project when you consider that UConn just spent 40 million on their new basketball practice facility. What do you think Central will be able to do with 17 million. Before I can pass judgement I guess I need to see the plans but based on past history I am not feeling very optimistic. I hope I am wrong.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:34 pm

I'm no engineer, but there is not too much site work that needs to be done. Sure, you need footings and stuff for the new building, but the area is cleared and basically ready for construction. That must cut down some of the costs, but I agree $17 million is not a lot for a project in Connecticut.

I don't think the Detrick Gym portion it will as expansive as Larry suggested, but I think in the end we all might be happily surprised when we see the plans. But I agree, and will remain optimistic, but hesitant until we get to see some drawings (which are likely some 6 months away)

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Larryl9797 wrote:Raise the roof
Push the North South Walls out
Blow out the classrooms that face the Dorms.

Turn where the classrooms *were* into a the new Atruim style entrance. Lost of glass and light.
Convert into a horsehoe style stadium seating for 4K persons...
Add real exec suites.
Replace bathrooms
You're hired!

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Project will include the construction of a new 70,000 square foot recreation center on the CCSU campus at Ella Grasso Boulevard and Kaiser Drive. The present 34,000 square foot air supported fabric structure comprise the north wing of the facility will be dismantled and replaced by a new multi-story structural steel frame building.

The new recreational center will create a new complex for the recreational, athletic and educational needs of the 12,000 CCSU students as well as faculty and staff. The facility is anticipated to provide squash, racquetball, basketball and multi-purpose courts; as well as an elevated wellness track; exercise and fitness areas; studio space; offices; and meeting rooms; and restroom, shower and locker facilities.

The project will also renovate the existing Kaiser Hall gymnasium to include the construction of a first and second floor entrance to the gymnasium; construction of a new 500 seat second floor air conditioned Press Box and VIP seating area.

All improvements will meet ADA standards and comply with CCSU facility standards.
When a re-read this, I even more excited. I do think the Detrick renovations will be first class.

bigbluefan1965
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by bigbluefan1965 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:29 pm

The renovations are going to include a new air conditioned press box and a 500 seat VIP section, but what will be added/improved for the common Joe? Will the entrances, concessions area, or the restrooms be upgraded? Will there be any expanded seating for the common Joe such as creating an arena style court or will the Gym still just be the gym with a fancy press box and VIP seating?

I'm not being negative here, the renovations are great but they seem to be more geared to recreational/student life rather than improving the D-I athletic experience for your average fan at CCSU. Bruce, Marc, and the "VIP's" will be comfortable, but what about us average guys in the stands?
"Complaining becomes a habit. Focusing on the negative also becomes a habit. It’s one of the most detrimental habits you can possibly have." -- T Harv Eker

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:11 pm

I can't imagine it would be like that BB.

Hopefully we get all that and additional student section behind the basket where the cheerleaders stand. I'd love to see 4000 capacity. I'd be ok without a seperate arena if they can spuce up the existing and make it classy and completely lose its sweaty old gym feeling.