State university system a step closer to naming academic building after its first black graduate

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

State university system a step closer to naming academic building after its first black graduate

Post by J.J. » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:50 pm

I think this is a fantastic idea and hope this passes.
Holding signs describing Ebenezer D.C. Bassett as a scholar, educator, diplomat and more, 50 people waited anxiously Wednesday morning to learn if the state university system would honor its first black graduate.

Cheers were followed by a standing ovation when a key education committee unanimously endorsed renaming a classroom building at Central Connecticut State University for Bassett.

“We’re almost there — this is going to happen,” proclaimed educator William Fothergill, wiping his eyes as friends embraced him and offered congratulations on prevailing after many years of lobbying the Connecticut State University System.

“CCSU believes there is significant justification for this naming,” Erika Steiner, the chief financial officer, told the finance committee of the board of regents before its vote.
https://www.courant.com/community/new-b ... story.html

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: State university system a step closer to naming academic building after its first black graduate

Post by hilltopper » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:51 pm

I am surprised that it was not done a while ago.
Bassett was appointed by President Grant in 1869 as ambassador to Haiti, the first African American ambassador in US history.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: State university system a step closer to naming academic building after its first black graduate

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:54 am

As many of you know, my significant other is Haitian. Her entire family up in Boston was very happy to hear about Bassett when I told them about him. Now I get to tell them about the possibility of a building being named after him.