CCSU's Next Athletic Director

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: CCSU's Next Athletic Director

Post by Skyhawkct » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:47 am

I'll send you a PM later Hoops...it's a bit complex.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:10 pm

The search for a new Intercollegiate Athletics Director is nearing the end. We invite you to meet the three campus finalists, who will be visiting us next week. There will be an open forum for each so you can meet them, ask questions, and learn about their visions for our Division I athletics program. We hope you will join us.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 – 2 pm to 2:55 pm Open forum for Michael Waddell in Torp Theatre. His CV is available here:
https://lnkd.in/d2YQpWQ

Thursday, June 21, 2018 – 2 pm to 2:55 pm Open forum for Brian Barrio in Torp Theatre. His CV is available here:
https://lnkd.in/dQ9bWRD

Friday, June 22, 2018 - 2 pm to 2:55 pm Open forum for Stephen Villanti in Torp Theatre. His CV is available here:
https://lnkd.in/dBKjyJH

You will be given an opportunity to provide feedback about each of the candidates through an online survey which we will be posted here following the forums.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:27 pm

I’d like to see it go to Steve. Can tell you right now he loves the place more than the other two and I don’t even know who the other two are...

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:04 pm

I wasn't so sure when I saw your post Hoops but I have to admit, after reading all of the resumes, his seemed to be well written compared to the others.

While the others have experience at the upper echelon of D-1, I thought his cover letter (that the others didn't have) clearly shows that he understands the fiscal problems facing the department and how he plans to deal with them.

At least they are finally wrapping this up.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:37 am

Steve Villanti is a great guy. He knows CCSU so well and I think he would do a great job. He's accomplished a lot in his time here (his resume is impressive). If he gets the position, I'd look forward to seeing what he will do differently to address the known challenges we face with budget, facilities, etc. None of the candidates know as much about the programs as Steve, and he will put his heart into the job. He would be a very good selection.

That being said, Steve has limited experience outside of his tenure at Central, and so I also like Brian Barrio a lot from his resume. Love the fact he was former Assoc. Commish/Chief of Staff for America East. He has the outside observer view of what CCSU needs to do differently to be attractive to that conference. He has also been an Assoc. AD at some very quality mid-major programs - Pepperdine (WCC), Nevada (MWC). Plus he has a Athletics Compliance background from his time at Southern California and the Ivy League. He is also a local guy from Old Lyme who got his start as an undergrad at Boston College and as an intern here at CCSU. I think this guy would be a great pick.

Michael Waddell also has a some nice experience, highlighted by being the AD at Towson. That school has a very similar profile to CCSU (but is much larger). His recent experience isn't as appealing to me as his time at Towson. I'd like to know more about why he wants to come here to be the AD based on his last 5 years really focused on strategy and marketing.

Just glad to see we are close to getting the job filled and moving forward with some leadership.

Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:58 am

Info in today's New Britain Herald newspaper re candidate Waddell:

http://www.newbritainherald.com/NBH-CCS ... c-director

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:33 pm

So I've read Steve's full submission and skimmed the other two. One thing that immediately is noticeable is that they are all keying in on fundraising. Great but what is that definition of insanity again? How bout building the fan base, getting out of the NEC? I mean, I'm sure most of us on here donate, no where near what they want us to but still. How many of us are there? Not a whole lot of us judging by the attendance at men's and women's basketball and football games. I wonder what the school's goal is. I mean its hard enough not to spot at least one fan at every game decked out in UConn gear. I still wonder what those dudes are thinking. Assuming they are going after that corporate sponsor, hense the new vip lounge etc. Looking forward to see how they bring it all together.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:02 am

Today's Herald article about AD candidate Brian Barrio. I think this guy would be a home run!
“If this was Sacramento State, if this was Cal State Northridge, I’m not interviewing here right now,” Barrio said in response. “And those are the kinds of jobs people will call me about. I’m not going to those places. I’m from Connecticut, I’m a Connecticut guy, I call sandwiches grinders, and I wear a [Hartford] Whalers hat to Lake Tahoe. I’ve wanted to come back here for a long time. I don’t want to be here for two years or three years, I want to come here and really do something special. I believe in this school.”

Central Connecticut was the school that believed in the Old Lyme native back in 2003, when he was seeking his first job in the athletics administration field. That summer he served as an athletics compliance intern for the school.

He wants everyone in the state to not only know of Central Connecticut, but also spend time on the campus.

“I think it’s important that athletics is reaching out into Connecticut and bringing people to this campus,” Barrio said. “There should be no middle school student or high school student in the state of Connecticut who hasn’t spent time here. Athletics can be a place where that happens.”

That love for the state and the area resonated with the crowd.

“I think [Barrio] probably has a better ability to understand and relate to the CCSU community,” CCSU Associate Professor in Athletic Training Peter Morano said. “[Michael Waddell] seemed to have a broader experience fundraising, but I don’t know if the personality meshed as well as the candidate today.”
http://www.newbritainherald.com/article ... n/NBH-CCSU

I also like this point he made.
“Nevada is 11th out of the 12 Mountain West schools in budget,” Barrio said. “So I know that you can be relatively low resourced and succeed. I think that’s an important thing to know when I’m here.”

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Steve knows Central and is how special this place is. He identified some areas were we are having issues - budget and recruiting - because he sees it first hand. I think everyone has a lot of respect for what he's done here and what he will continue to do, either as AD or in his current role.
“Whether I get the job or not, I just wanted to say I’m very appreciative for being part of the Blue Devils for all these years,” Villanti said. “I wanted to just say some of the people that I’ve met here certainly shaped the person I am today.”

As Villanti continued on, he touched on the history and tradition of CCSU athletics and how he’ll prioritize that should he get the job.

“Tradition is really important here and tradition is going to be really important to me,” Villanti said. “It’s going to be important that we bring back players and coaches that have played and coached here before to talk to our student athletes. Being a Blue Devil is really special, and being a Blue Devil is all about family and unselfishness.”
http://www.newbritainherald.com/article ... r/section/

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:30 am

Congratulations to Brian Barrio:
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/general/2 ... 0712cji2bw

And a new era for CCSU begins!