Future of CCSU athletics- 2018 ...

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Future of CCSU athletics- 2018 ...

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 pm

bigbluefan1965 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:08 pm
I agree with Hilltoppers viewpoint. CCSU should focus on sponsoring less sports and make sure FB,MBB, and WBB are viable and have adequate D-I funding.

Choose what you want to do and do it well. CCSU can’t afford to be a jack of all trades in athletics as it results in mediocrity across the board.

FB, MBB, and WBB are your three most marketable and sellable options in CT and the New England region, especially for public schools in my opinion.
Gotta add baseball and softball here bb...but agree.

bigbluefan1965
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by bigbluefan1965 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:55 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 pm
bigbluefan1965 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:08 pm
I agree with Hilltoppers viewpoint. CCSU should focus on sponsoring less sports and make sure FB,MBB, and WBB are viable and have adequate D-I funding.

Choose what you want to do and do it well. CCSU can’t afford to be a jack of all trades in athletics as it results in mediocrity across the board.

FB, MBB, and WBB are your three most marketable and sellable options in CT and the New England region, especially for public schools in my opinion.
Gotta add baseball and softball here bb...but agree.

Baseball and softball would be my next two sports on the priority keep list, then Men’s and Women’s soccer. These seven sports seem to be the most attractive to students, alums, and the general public. They also have good potential to succeed and provide CCSU with exposure with the opportunity to place athletes in Professional Sports or on Olympic teams.
"Complaining becomes a habit. Focusing on the negative also becomes a habit. It’s one of the most detrimental habits you can possibly have." -- T Harv Eker

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:04 pm

What the NCAA and schools like Texas, Ohio State, etc. have done to ruin college sports is disgusting. The entire landscape has changed exponentially since 1986.
JJ,
Agreed. Major college BB and FB have become the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA.
However, it is all about supply and demand (thank you Dr. Kim, my CCSC intro to econ prof.)
Look at the attendance stats for those sports, some college football games put 100,000 fannies in the stadium seats! and then look at the TV ratings.
That is the driving force!

ccsutaf
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by ccsutaf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:26 am

Some sports that CCSU has been successful include men's cross country, men's track and field, women's track and field, cross country, swimming and volleyball. The men's teams have won multiple NEC championships and the women's swimming team has too. The men's track and field would hurt a lot as I was on the team for a year as an undergrad hence the letters taf.

Deltaguy1
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by Deltaguy1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:35 pm

The sports that needed to stay were the ones that were succesful. Sometimes these teams had no fan following. That's the way it is most everywhere. We need to keep sports such as soccer, track, cross country. Football and basketball were almost guaranteed to stay.

So, when supporters from all over the country and globe join members of this blog to donate, we'll be even better. Then, if dreams were to come true, golf would return and there'd be men's and women's ice hockey, women's bowling and men's lacrosse.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:10 am

http://centralrecorder.com/2018/02/01/c ... epartment/

Very good article in the student newspaper. He's got some good facts in there - budget and scholly numbers - plus great quotes from Toro.

Gotta like how she handled this, in spite of some of the comments from faculty. There is always going to be some faculty member who will try to bash athletics, but she took full responsibility for her decisions and seemed to be well informed.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:36 am

Agreed good article. I wish it went into more depth regarding the cut in scholarships. Hopefully we don’t see that for football or hoops. Has it been decided as to where those cuts are coming from? Or is it spread across all?

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Agreed...good overall with all things considered such as finances and the roll D-1 plays at the university. I'm glad that Dr. Toro wants to maintain D-1 here at CCSU.

One thing this report should make clear to everyone is that, like it or not, CCSU will remain in the NEC for the foreseeable future. The only way this will change is if the conference folds.

If CCSU can't afford to buy its way OUT of the NEC, it surely can't afford to buy its way INTO another conference. So let's put that issue to rest.

The only thing we can hope for is that the NEC puts together a comprehensive plan to improve its profile in the D-1 landscape.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Skyhawkct wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:38 pm
The only thing we can hope for is that the NEC puts together a comprehensive plan to improve its profile in the D-1 landscape.

Not with the current commish. She's been saying this for 9 years and nothing ever changes. They supposedly have a plan, established in 2012
  • Conference’s Strategic Plan adopted in 2012

Enhance the NEC’s overall brand as well as strengthen the marquee sport of basketball. Has that happened???

A significant component of those initiatives includes NEC Front Row, a state-of-the-art, interactive webcasting/social media platform that highlights the NEC’s live event coverage, academic achievement and community service projects. It's by far the worst local conference app I've seen. Glad we have tv for every game but state of the art? Please.

Morris developed and implemented a multi-year NEC Brand and Basketball Enhancement Fund. Never heard any mention of this. What is it? What does it do?

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Yup...all true. The conference seems to be run the same way our athletic program has been run in the past several years. No planning...no guidance. I'm hoping things will change but I'm not holding my breath.