CCSU's Next Athletic Director

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

CCSU's Next Athletic Director

Post by newbritainite » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:15 pm

I'm interested in who will lead CCSU athletics for years to come... I looked online and can't even find the job posting. Was it posted and taken down? This is an important hire as CCSU fans want nothing more to see conference championships for it's marquee programs, which has been lacking in recent years. With a stiff state budget, the person in this role will have to keep tight lines on this department's wallet.
My wish list for the AD is to lead the following:

- develop new plans for a new athletic arena in collaboration with the City of New Britain
- transition from the partial scholarship model to full scholarship football
- implement a plan to increase attendance at basketball and football games - each game is not just a game, it is an event.
- actively pursue plans to initiate a move to a new football conference and athletic conference for other sports; the conference should be in alignment with the university's profile and aspirations (vision and goals)
- continue to develop relations with universities of its brand
- build upon the established marketing to strengthen its status and image in the State of Connecticut

Is there a shortlist of those who will be the best at this position?

Any thoughts on the above?
2017 NORTHEAST CONFERENCE
FOOTBALL CHAMPS - Undefeated In The NEC

Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The lone CT team in the NCAA Tournament in 2007
#CCSUCLASSOF2004

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CCSU's Next Athletic Director

Post by Larryl9797 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:43 am

These are some lofty goals but I think that a more realistic approach would to maybe get 1 or 2 of the huge ones completed between 5-10 years out. First CCU has to get back to its winning ways in marquee sports (Hoops , Football and maybe Soccer) and maintain its winning ways in non marquee sports (Swimming , XC , Baseball ) After that it has to find a way to rise the sports that kind of have no real tradition of winning and make them teams that no other team really wants to go up against even though they might not be champs every season. This raises athletics across the board.

2nd I would totally engage the student body to be an active part of the Athletic Department. I do not know if there are intern-ships or work programs that CCSU can leverage to give these kids a leg up on getting a job ( esp in the Media, marketing, promotions, IT, Broadcast ) Hell the NEC could use a new APP for NECFRONTROW.

3rd I would reach out to the neighboring towns (NB, Newington, West Hartford ) and paper the rooms for every event I could.
EG -->Free tickets to the Visitor side if you have a library card. If you dont, this table over here has library staff to get you a card and you still get in. EG2 --> XC hosts a 5k around campus for a low fee, 1mi fun run is free for the kids. free cake for everyone after the race.

in short we need to to get the locals to see what we all have seen about this great University for years now. It is the hidden Gem in NB and Newington. A successful Athletics program can definitely rise profile of the University as a whole.
To raise new questions, new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks real advance in science.

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:02 am

Excellent, Larry.

You get it.

The above mentioned are not out of reach.

Overall, CCSU needs to improve on self promotion.
2017 NORTHEAST CONFERENCE
FOOTBALL CHAMPS - Undefeated In The NEC

Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The lone CT team in the NCAA Tournament in 2007
#CCSUCLASSOF2004

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:04 pm

:D I nominate Larry for the AD job :D

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Ha ha ha..... If only my armchair AD'ing would work.
To raise new questions, new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks real advance in science.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:24 pm

The good ol grapevine has said that the position will be filled in the spring. No clue as to why the wait?! Assuming budget I guess.

I think basketball is easier to get buts in the seats over football, no clue why but a winning program usually does the trick in hoops. Like the ideas regarding football but have to guess that even though we are in first place and undefeated, the reason still must be that we are a commuter school. Took a walk after the game to get a coffee and could count the number of kids I saw on one hand.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:32 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:24 pm
The good ol grapevine has said that the position will be filled in the spring. No clue as to why the wait?! Assuming budget I guess.
That is not too surprising. As I wrote in another thread, a national search for the AD position will take months to complete. Remember how long the process was to replace C.J. - it was done with a Presidential search committee and was done very professionally. I was very pleased with the last time CCSU had an opening. Also, I have no doubt if they can milk the rest of the fiscal year with an Acting AD, the school with save about $100K.

That brings me to my bigger concern - WHO IS THE ACTING AD RIGHT NOW AND WHY HASN'T THE PRESIDENT MADE AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT? I understand she has a lot on her plate at work and with family in P.R., but it has been weeks since Paul left and we haven't heard a thing out of Davidson Hall. In my opinion, this is very concerning.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:01 am

I've been a bit worried about her myself. I haven't met her, has anyone on the board? Does she give a hoot about athletics?