New WLax coach

Volleyball , Swimming, Hockey and any remaining sports
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

New WLax coach

Post by J.J. » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:01 pm

http://ccsubluedevils.com/sports/wlax/2 ... 1005hzqa1o

This is the the 8th head coach in the history of the program, and the 5th coach in the last 7 seasons.

This will be the 20th season of CCSU WLAX, and they have NEVER had a winning season.

Their best year was 2013 (9-9). They have only qualified for the NEC Tourney twice (2013 & 2014).

Something is wrong here. Maybe this sport just doesn't fit profile of the school, because it apparent in two decades we can' recruit players or coaches.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: New WLax coach

Post by Skyhawkct » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:18 am

I don't want to cross a line here but it may be worth discussing. I may get some points wrong here as I'm not well versed on the issue so please bear with me.

First of all, I totally get and agree in gender equity regarding college sports. Having said that, I BELIEVE that WLAX was introduced to our sports line up to help comply with Title VIIII and in doing so, competitive wrestling and men's (woman's tennis teams too) were cut.

If I am correct about this, maybe we should look into dropping WLAX and bring back Women's tennis or introduce any woman's sport where they can recruit and be competitive.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:32 am

Exactly. I’m 100% for a successful women’s program, but I’m not sure what we are doing right now is working out well for the university.

Look at W Soccer, probably our most successful program overall, started in 1998. It has been a great addition.

I always wondered why we didn’t add field hockey instead of WLax. I know UConn has a team, but it is a sport that few other local DI programs played.

Right now, I think we’d be better off with W Golf and W Tennis instead of WLax.

I know one of the justifications for keeping W Lax was that it is a team sport and could draw spectators. Unfortunately because of the lack of success of the program, I don’t think it draws at all.

How about an “emerging” women’s sport? Women’s Rugby would be a great idea. I think we have a women’s club team already that is popular. I know it is uncomfortable to discuss, but with our budget situation, we have to be wise in our investments.

Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:17 am

Obviously, not every program will be successful. If you're a high school lax player, you're going to the school that has had some success.
I say (as if my vote counts) we stay with lacrosse and see where "new" coaches will take us. After all, look what happened with Geno over at Agricultural U. I'm not equating lax with basketball.
Finally, who here has ever seen our women play at Arute?

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Have not seen a WLAX game. Outside MBB and FB I tend to make Baseball and WSoccer games when the weather is agreeable. It is a tough to speculate what secret mix you need to have to make a positive program work here in Central Connecticut. I do know the High School LAX is pretty popular. It would be interesting to see what prospects that CCSu was looking at went to and how they did at the schools thay went to. As far as coaches, where were past coaches from? Local / Regional Places and why did they leave? Is is something that the AD can help with? I would agree with JJ to see what are the emerging sports that are not so saturated and success can come a little easier because not every is doing it ?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Right Larry. I'm not sure who/where we are recruiting for WLAX. It is very popular in Connecticut and nationally, but we have had ZERO success in 20 years. What is the root cause of our failures as a program?

First, let me be clear this is not a knock on the players or the new coach. The ladies on the team are Blue Devils and we want them to succeed, but what is preventing CCSU form putting together a team that can win, even at the lowest level of D-I?

Do the top-recruits want to play at CCSU, and if no, why not? Do we draw non-athletes from the high schools with successful girl's lax programs?

And why the turnover in coaches? None of the last 4 coaches lasted more than 2 seasons. I can tell you at work, when you have that much turnover in management, there is a deeper issue. Why can't coaches win here and why don't they stay to build something?

Again, this is not to take shots at the players or the new coach (who is a CCSU alum), but someone should be asking the tough question about why we are in this position after 20 years, especially after we just dropped Men's and Women's Golf.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 am

Last 5 years:
Year Overall Conf
18-17 2-14 1-6
17-16 4-12 3-4
16-15 3-13 2-5
15-14 6-10 3-4
14-13 7-10 4-3

Looks like pretty much everyone else in conference outside LIU beats up on WLAX. I hope that the new coach can build this program up .. it needs to take a hard look at this rebuild and really support the new coach.