Turro to play soccer at Central Connecticut

Volleyball , Swimming, Hockey and any remaining sports
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Turro to play soccer at Central Connecticut

Post by J.J. » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Jeff Turro, a center-midfielder and two-time captain at Middletown High, will continue his soccer career at Central Connecticut State University in the fall.

Turro, a three-year starter for the Blue Dragons, also is a long-time club player and expects this experience to help him eventually win playing time at the college level.

“Going in as a freshman, I know I have to work very hard in the preseason, since I’ll be going up against sophomores, juniors and seniors,” he said. “I know I’m going to have to fight for a spot every single year.”

In his three seasons on Middletown’s varsity, the Blue Dragons program struggled, winning a total of six games. This did not deter him from fulfilling his responsibilities as a captain and a leader of his teammates.

“Jeff Turro was one of the hardest-working players on our team,” Middletown assistant coach Matt Harris said. “When things didn’t go right, he pressed on and gave his best effort regardless of the results. He’s definitely a college-type player with that kind of mindset.

“He has a great heart and a hard worker’s mentality. He brought other players up with him and made them better. We did not have a lot of wins. In high school, (as a player) I remember you thrive off the wins. They keep you going and keep you motivated.

“Jeff’s leadership a lot of times came without words. The way he worked, the way he took soccer seriously, his skills and things he did in practice, they carried over to other players. His leadership and work ethic were definitely evident.”

Turro’s experience at the club level started long before Middletown High, at Oakwood in Glastonbury and FSA in Farmington. Most recently, he played for the Connecticut Football Club out of Waterbury, partly to be noticed by college programs. It was with CFC that he struck up a relationship with Central Connecticut’s staff, he said.

“Playing with CFC helped to gain the exposure I needed to play in college, and it all worked out,” Turro said.

Harris said it’s rare today for student-athletes to play just four years of high school soccer and expect to play at the next level, considering the internal competition they will face at the college level. For example, Central’s 2017 roster included underclassmen players from Greece, France, Sweden, Italy and Puerto Rico.

“Kids used to say, ‘Oh, let me go and play at the state (universities). Then you look at Central’s roster and you think, ‘Whoa, they have more international players than not.’ “

“Jeff’s club experience outside of Middletown High really created the type of player and individual he is,” he said. “At the club level, when you play against bigger, stronger, faster guys, you have to sustain that. That experience really helped him out in getting to that next level.
https://www.middletownpress.com/sports/ ... 982979.php