2020 Non-conference schedule

Its 3rd down and 4 whats your call coach?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

2020 Non-conference schedule

Post by J.J. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:17 am

According to FBSchedules.com, CCSU has 3 non-conference games already scheduled for next season:

Sep. 19 - Valparaiso (Pioneer)
Sep. 26 - at Toledo (MAC)
Oct. 10 - at Columbia (Ivy)

If Merrimack becomes an official NEC game next season, then our 2020 schedule would be completed (3 non-conf + 8 NEC games).

---

Based on our weak non-conference schedule, I suggest the AD call up Dartmouth today and see if they are willing to come to New Britain on Sep. 19 instead of Valpo. This is because Jacksonville (Pioneer) has dropped football effective immediately and will not play Big Green on 9/19/2020 as previously scheduled.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 2020 Non-conference schedule

Post by Shoreline » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:28 am

Excellent idea. We definitely need a much stronger schedule, both for better poll results but also to make marketing of our games much more attractive to the general public. There is no reason why we cannot fill a 5500 seat stadium five or six times each fall.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Agreed.

I could not believe how few people Albany brought to that game, it was ridiculous, even if they asked all of the second tier to move to the first, they would not have filled up the first. Ridiculous. We need a home game but we really have to figure out how were not going to choke every time we get to the FCS game.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:20 pm

CCSU absolutely should be able to "sell out" (5k+) at least 3 home games a year, to include the home opener and Homecoming! Winning and building a home schedule filled with with recognizable teams that can also draw their own support helps too.

Now I'm not a guy to talk too much about this because I'm not local and don't make any games in person, but even if I was, I'd be hard pressed to go to late October/November games when the weather is awful. Arute just doesn't have the infrastructure to protect you from the elements and get warm/dry during pregame, halftime, etc. There is no incentive to tailgate when the weather is bad. Yes, I know this is New England, but we don't have the "football culture" of the South or Midwest to sit through that - its why we play basketball in a warm, cozy gym. Late season games in Connecticut just aren't going to draw as well as the home September games, regardless of our record or the opponent.

Now the attendance at Albany was awful and UAlbany fans get all the blame for that. Proves the point, but this region is just not great for college football (especially once basketball season starts). Thanksgiving weekend really puts a damper on attendance too, but I was still surprised how small that crowd was. I was expecting 3,500 not 1,500.