2020 Non-conference schedule

Its 3rd down and 4 whats your call coach?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

2020 Non-conference schedule

Post by J.J. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:17 am

According to FBSchedules.com, CCSU has 3 non-conference games already scheduled for next season:

Sep. 19 - Valparaiso (Pioneer)
Sep. 26 - at Toledo (MAC)
Oct. 10 - at Columbia (Ivy)

If Merrimack becomes an official NEC game next season, then our 2020 schedule would be completed (3 non-conf + 8 NEC games).

---

Based on our weak non-conference schedule, I suggest the AD call up Dartmouth today and see if they are willing to come to New Britain on Sep. 19 instead of Valpo. This is because Jacksonville (Pioneer) has dropped football effective immediately and will not play Big Green on 9/19/2020 as previously scheduled.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 2020 Non-conference schedule

Post by Shoreline » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:28 am

Excellent idea. We definitely need a much stronger schedule, both for better poll results but also to make marketing of our games much more attractive to the general public. There is no reason why we cannot fill a 5500 seat stadium five or six times each fall.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Agreed.

I could not believe how few people Albany brought to that game, it was ridiculous, even if they asked all of the second tier to move to the first, they would not have filled up the first. Ridiculous. We need a home game but we really have to figure out how were not going to choke every time we get to the FCS game.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:20 pm

CCSU absolutely should be able to "sell out" (5k+) at least 3 home games a year, to include the home opener and Homecoming! Winning and building a home schedule filled with with recognizable teams that can also draw their own support helps too.

Now I'm not a guy to talk too much about this because I'm not local and don't make any games in person, but even if I was, I'd be hard pressed to go to late October/November games when the weather is awful. Arute just doesn't have the infrastructure to protect you from the elements and get warm/dry during pregame, halftime, etc. There is no incentive to tailgate when the weather is bad. Yes, I know this is New England, but we don't have the "football culture" of the South or Midwest to sit through that - its why we play basketball in a warm, cozy gym. Late season games in Connecticut just aren't going to draw as well as the home September games, regardless of our record or the opponent.

Now the attendance at Albany was awful and UAlbany fans get all the blame for that. Proves the point, but this region is just not great for college football (especially once basketball season starts). Thanksgiving weekend really puts a damper on attendance too, but I was still surprised how small that crowd was. I was expecting 3,500 not 1,500.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:01 pm

J.J. wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:17 am
According to FBSchedules.com, CCSU has 3 non-conference games already scheduled for next season:

Sep. 19 - Valparaiso (Pioneer)

If Merrimack becomes an official NEC game next season, then our 2020 schedule would be completed (3 non-conf + 8 NEC games).
Good news CCSUfans - Bryant has posted their 2020 schedule and it does not include Merrimack. =D>
https://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/f ... 1/schedule

That means NEC teams can schedule up to 4 non-conference games this year and so the Blue Devils have room for 1 more non-conference game next season!

Also, CCSU will travel to Smithfield on Oct.24.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:10 pm

Bring on the EE!

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:26 pm

Dartmouth has announced their 2020 schedule and will host D-II New Haven on Sep. 19.
HANOVER, N.H. — Buddy Teevens, the Robert L. Blackman Head Football Coach at Dartmouth College, announced the completion of the Big Green's 2020 fall schedule with the addition of the University of New Haven as the team's season opener. This will be the first meeting between Dartmouth and the Division II Chargers.

The Big Green were originally scheduled to play Jacksonville University on Sept. 19, but the Dolphins dropped their program following the 2019 campaign, necessitating Dartmouth finding a different team to host on that date. New Haven posted a 7-3 record in 2019 and won its final four contests.
https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2020/1 ... 00130.aspx

----
Also, Holy Cross announced they will open the 2020 season at Merrimack. CCSU had a previous agreement to play Holy Cross, but had to cancel it due to NEC expansion. The Blue Devils and Crusaders signed a subsequent agreement to play in 2027 and 2028.
CCSU and Holy Cross will begin a home-and-home series at Holy Cross’ Fitton Field in Worcester, Mass., on Sept. 11, 2027. The Blue Devils will host the Crusaders to complete the series at Arute Field in New Britain, Conn., on Sept. 9, 2028.

The two schools were scheduled to play a four-game, home-and-home series between 2020 and 2023, but that series has been canceled, according to a document obtained from CCSU.

Central Connecticut has also canceled a home game against New Haven in 2022 and a home-and-home series with Hampton that was scheduled for 2022 and 2023. All three cancellations were necessary after the Northeast Conference (NEC) added Long Island and Merrimack as members, which expands the number of NEC contests each season.
https://fbschedules.com/central-connect ... schedules/

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:02 pm

With this news, CCSU is down to 4 home and 6 away games and 2 open dates.

Sep. 5 - vs. Wagner*
Sep. 12 at Merrimack (Ind)
Sep. 19 - Open
Oct. 3 - vs. Duquesne*
Oct. 17 - at Saint Francis*
Oct. 24 - at Bryant*
Oct. 31 - Open
Nov. 7 - vs. Sacred Heart*
Nov. 14 - at Robert Morris*
Nov. 21 - vs. Long Island*

*NEC Games

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:22 pm

I am assuming Valpo did not want to fly out east due to COVID-19 concerns. If so that presents an interesting dilemma for Pioneer League teams, because there are a few flights for league games.

Valpo is also scheduled to come East to play at Marist (Poughkeepsie, NY) on Oct. 31. Wonder if they cancel that game and maybe we can get the Red Foxes to bus down to New Britain on our other open date. I'd take Marist over Valpo ...

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:26 pm

I hope this doesn’t transfer into a play down game.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:37 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:26 pm
I hope this doesn’t transfer into a play down game.
This was already a "play down" game. Valpo is FCS in name only - they were a horrible non-scholarship team that we should have never scheduled. New Haven or Southern Connecticut would run over them like a steamroller as well.

The only PFL teams worth playing are Marist (close), Dayton (competitive), and San Diego (location).

I'll take a lower division game this season if there is some history or some connection. In place of Valpo, I would look locally at SCSU, WestConn, Coast Guard, Springfield, AIC, Montclair State, etc.

I'd also trade the Valpo home game for any FBS road game to raise some more $$$ for the program. I'm guessing that every FCS and FBS schedule is already filled, so it is more likely we will just have to wait and see if any other FCS schools back out of games and then we can step into that opportunity.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:51 pm

The NCAA has shortened the D-II football schedule from 11 games down to a maximum of 10 games for the 2020 season. That could be very good news for CCSU fans!
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/article242854246.html

New Haven (D-II, NE-10) has 11 games scheduled, including a to Dartmouth on September 19.
https://newhavenchargers.com/sports/football/schedule

Since UNH now has to drop a game from their schedule, it would make sense for CCSU to pick up that game with Dartmouth. I doubt the Big Green would be willing to bus down to New Britain, but I'm sure Central would be willing to make the trip for some $$$.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:58 pm

Now that Robert Morris has announced they are leaving the NEC effective this season, the NEC Football schedule is now 6 games. Unless additional schedule changes are made by the NEC, it is possible Central will have 4 home NEC games and just 2 away (at SFU; at BRY).

I also do not expect CCSU to travel to RMU on Nov. 14, even as a non-conference game. I’m sure everyone involved (AD NEC, Coach McCarthy) are working on replacing missing games and they are also planning for COVID contingencies, meaning this schedule could change in the upcoming weeks and months ahead.

Sep. 5 - vs. Wagner*
Sep. 12 at Merrimack (Ind)
Sep. 19 - Open
Oct. 3 - vs. Duquesne*
Oct. 17 - at Saint Francis*
Oct. 24 - at Bryant*
Oct. 31 - Open
Nov. 7 - vs. Sacred Heart*
Nov. 14 - Open
Nov. 21 - vs. Long Island*

*NEC Games

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:34 pm

The CAA is looking at possible changes to their football schedule. Simply put, I don't think anyone knows what our football schedule will look like until August 1. Until then, I think everything is "tentative"

CAA Has Varying Options For Football Schedule
There’s a chance James Madison’s 2020 football schedule is played out as planned and there are other scenarios in which its slate for this fall is altered slightly or varies drastically, according to Colonial Athletic Association commissioner Joe D’Antonio.

Either way, nothing will be decided until at least next month, D’Antonio said.

“We’re still trying to get a final determination about what scheduling will look like across the spectrum,” D’Antonio said Monday. “Not just in the CAA, but across FCS and across FBS. I continue to maintain that a final answer as to what that could look like is still probably 20 to 30 days away, maybe longer. I don’t know if anybody has that exact answer right now.
“I would hypothesize that the entire country could play their schedule that’s in place,” he said, “but the starting date could shift a couple of weeks.”

Another alternative involves CAA members playing a conference-only schedule, D’Antonio said. JMU has non-conference home contests scheduled with Chattanooga (Sept. 12) and Merrimack (Nov. 19) and a road date at FBS North Carolina (Sept. 19), which all would be eliminated as part of this particular circumstance.

“We’ve talked about a situation where you have a compressed conference schedule,” D’Antonio said, “meaning potentially your non-conference games go away, but you play the same home-and-away opponents that you were already going to play in the conference.”

JMU’s home CAA opponents for 2020 are Delaware, William & Mary, Maine and Elon and it conference trips are to Albany, Towson, Villanova and Richmond. He said dates of those eight games would likely be reshuffled due to a possible shortened season, but that the opponents would stay the same.

Then, “there is a straight regional type of model that has definitely been discussed,” he said, “and is being looked at. And that may or may not involve trying to play a couple of non-conference games regionally depending on the circumstances other conferences find themselves in.”

The regional model would feature home-and-home contests between league members nearest to each other. For JMU, think Elon, Richmond, Towson or William & Mary.

https://www.dnronline.com/news/coronavi ... 7b34e.html

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:09 pm

J.J. wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:58 pm
Now that Robert Morris has announced they are leaving the NEC effective this season, the NEC Football schedule is now 6 games. Unless additional schedule changes are made by the NEC, it is possible Central will have 4 home NEC games and just 2 away (at SFU; at BRY).
Upon my review of the 2020 NEC Football schedule, Sacred Heart has just 2 NEC home games (vs. SFU; vs. BRY) and 4 away games.

Therefore, I fully expect the NEC will change the location of the CCSU-SHU game to Fairfield in 2020, which would give both Central and Sacred Heart 3 home games and 3 away games on the NEC calendar. All other NEC teams currently have 3 home and 3 away NEC games scheduled.

Although the Blue Devils will be making consecutive trips to Campus Field at Sacred Heart, we should note that LIU is coming to Arute for the second year in a row.

Now assuming the Valpo and RMU games are not replaced, CCSU would be down to 9 games (3 Home; 6 Away).

We could ask Merrimack to come to New Britain in 2020, but the Warriors have just 4 home games themselves and would be unlikely to oblige.

We could ask Columbia switch the location of the 2020 and 2021 games, but then the Lions would not have a home non-conference game this year.

Our best bet is to get a D-II/D-III team to play, but with their late starts in 2020 and fewer games, it will be a long shot.

Bottom line, there are still a lot moving parts to the 2020 Blue Devils Football Schedule - not to mention we still have no idea how COVID will impact travel to/from any of our scheduled opponents.