UConn adds CCSU to future football schedule!

Its 3rd down and 4 whats your call coach?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

UConn adds CCSU to future football schedule!

Post by J.J. » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:25 pm

Finally! Maybe someone is listening to us =D> Great news per fbschedule.com
The UConn Huskies have added games against the Central Connecticut Blue Devils and the Lafayette Leopards to their future football schedules, FBSchedules.com has learned.

Copies of contracts for two games each with both Central Connecticut and Lafayette were obtained from the University of Connecticut via a state public records request.

UConn will host Central Connecticut at Rentschler Field in East Hartford on Sept. 3, 2022 and then again three seasons later on Aug. 30, 2025. The Huskies will pay the Blue Devils guarantees of $275,000 for both the 2022 and 2025 contests, according to the copies of the contracts.

In their most recent meeting in 1995, UConn defeated Central Connecticut 54-9. The Huskies also defeated the Blue Devils in 1986 and 1989 and lead the overall series 3-0.

The Lafayette Leopards will travel to East Hartford to take on UConn on Sept. 9, 2023 and Sept. 5, 2026. UConn will pay Lafayette a $285,000 guarantee for the contest in 2023 and $300,000 for the contest in 2026, per the contract copy.

In their first and only meeting on the gridiron back in 1984, UConn traveled to Easton, Pennsylvania, and fell to the Leopards 20-13.

Yesterday, the UConn Huskies officially announced that they will depart the American Athletic Conference following the 2019-20 season. The Huskies will return to the Big East Conference next summer in all sports except football, where they will most likely compete as a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) Independent.

The scheduling of games with Central Connecticut and Lafayette, although not out of the ordinary, likely comes as the Huskies prepare for football independence. The Lafayette contract was executed in late April, while the Central Connecticut contracts were executed only eight days ago.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UConn adds CCSU to future football schedule!

Post by J.J. » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Kudos to the AD! This was an absolutely fantastic move for the university and the football program. This gives us 2 FBS games a bus ride away across the river and we collect $550K from UConn. Tons of statewide press and coverage that comes with "The Horde"

Hopefully this 'experiment' is a huge success and we get on a regular rotation every 2 years.

Not to complain - but Lafayette is making an extra $35k for their 2 trips to E. Hartford. So again, it just makes all the more sense for both schools to keep that kind of $$ in-state.

ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:41 pm

This is an absolutely SOLID move for the State of CT as a whole...

Over the past 8 years, the level of competition has improved enough to warrant at least one game between FCS and FBS level schools once a year (at least that many times)... CCSU is there, along with another state school, albeit private, in Sacred Heart Univ. They BOTH should be playing 1 (or 2) FBS level games a year. Absolute coup to have UConn and CCSU finally square off... then another year (2024) UConn and Sacred Heart (hopefully)... It will do nothing but BOOST the interest level of D1 (AA- FCS and A-FBS) level football in the state... It's a win...My two cents...

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:55 pm

David Glovach and the New Britain Herald following up on news of the CCSU-UConn football games:

http://www.newbritainherald.com/article ... s/section/
“I think [the UConn game] is a great fit for us,” Barrio said. “I’m a big believer in having a logical schedule. That’s tremendously important and it’s important for me to schedule all of our sports locally and logically. There’s a few reasons why this is an effective partnership for us. One, it’s the travel distance for our fans. Two, is the missed class time. With it being an hour away, we know our student-athletes aren’t going to miss that much time and work in the classroom and have to make that up. And three, there’s a local interest that should get our fans excited.”

While Barrio hasn’t gotten much of a chance to gauge the public response to the schedule additions, he said internally, he’s heard plenty of positive feedback from coaches, athletes and other administrators.

Barrio also said CCSU would be interested in extending its partnership with UConn past those two dates.

“From my end, I certainly feel like we’ve left the door,” Barrio said. “Stay tuned and hopefully we’ll have some big things go on with not only football, but our other sports as well.”
A couple of thoughts:
- Glad to see the CCSU beat reporter jump on this when it hit the news.
- Excellent quotes and response from the AD. This is exactly what fans have been waiting to hear!
- Although the opponent is unannounced, CCSU will also have a FBS opponent in 2021
- AD ended interview with a tease, but maybe this will include a few more sports, including MBB

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:33 pm

Hopefully not in hoops. Their gift of getting out of a conference they hate to a mighty mighty conference will only boost their recruits. We can't touch them now nor will we ever in hoops.Personally, I'd rather take the beating on the road to avoid all of the harassment that will come my way, at least we stand a chance with them in Football as it stands today, who knows in 3 years.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:04 pm

ccsuhoops wrote: I'd rather take the beating on the road to avoid all of the harassment that will come my way
Agreed!