Kyle Vinales

Lets talk some Hoops!
BlueDevilsRule
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Kyle Vinales

Post by BlueDevilsRule » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:00 pm

Saw Kyle on ESPN tourney yesterday. Playing on a team of ex Illinois players. They beat the defending champions of the million dollar tourney (ex Ohio State players).He was one of the stars in the game and hit the winning basket.He plays pro ball in Latvia. An ex Illinois player is on that team and that is how Kyle ended up playing. Mentioned CCSU several times in broadcast. Tourney continues on ESPN.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Kyle Vinales

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:05 am

Great player but selfish player, then the injury, then the issue and finally the quitting of the team. Not my most fav Blue Devil..

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:52 am

ccsuhoops wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:05 am
Great player but selfish player, then the injury, then the issue and finally the quitting of the team. Not my most fav Blue Devil..
Well in fairness, he was definitely a shooter first, but I thought he did well most of the time sharing the ball. The fact he is reached 1,000 points faster than any player in CCSU history. He had some good assist numbers, and when he was doubled teamed he dropped the ball off to others. I think he's certainly one of the best players we've ever had. He's a top-10 CCSU player almost anyway that you look at it. He could be frustrating on the nights his shot was off, but those were rare, and I wish we had him healthy for all 4 years. The injury sucked - it really took away from the team momentum that year.

And as for the off-the-court stuff, I bet he regrets the situation he put himself in. He didn't quit the team - he was let go. I understand why Howie had to do it, but it was a tragic situation for all sides. Neither KV, the girlfriend, or CCSU came out of the situation in better shape. I won't judge any of the parties, because I wasn't a witness to anything - but it was a damn shame (and typically CCSU curse).

Every coach he ever had (including Howie), said he was the hardest working player they ever coached. He gave us 3 great seasons, so I wish him well. He's no Rick Mickens, Javy, or Tristan in my book, but he was a Blue Devil and gave us some great performances.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:56 pm

I loved watching him play! Okay, he was not a good defensive player, but he had the nasty habit of completely taking over a game and demoralizing an opponent, and that included his verbal jousting with opposing coaches. Remember him and Latina going at it!

Come on, that was fun! And I think that Latina enjoyed it too. It was more showmanship than it was showing off. Having a big mouth is not that bad when you can back it up.
I brought a friend to a game, "you've got see this guy Vinales! he is a scoring machine." Well Kyle had three points in the first half, but did I have egg on my face? No, he could not miss in the 2nd half and ended up with more points than his average.

If you talk about the best guard combos in Central history, certainly McMillan and Vinales have to be in the conversation. I cannot remember any player in CCSU history with so many game changing clutch "daggers."

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:30 pm

Great player, and I didn't think he was selfish on the court as much as his game was scoring/play-making.

The off the court stuff left a bad taste in my mouth.

When he transferred, Howie never should have taken him back. I have no problem with kids leaving for other schools...but once you're gone, you're gone.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:11 pm

I'm 100% with Hill on this one. Overall, I'm glad he was here and OK that Howie took him back after he flirted with transferring to a bigger program. Let's be honest, he was more than capable of playing at a "higher level" program and I don't begrudge him for looking at greener pastures - everyone Let's not forget another TBT and former CCSU player, Matt Mobley "took his talents" to St. Bona after just 2 years.

I do agree - KV defense was horrible. It wasn't that he couldn't play defense - he just didn't try at all. His defensive game was a liability late in the game, even at this level. But his offense was fun to watch and made up for the lack of D. I also liked the swagger he had - got you pumped up. Mostly, he was trying to be a showman. Probably didn't fit Howie's style, but it was fun to watch most, but not all, the time.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:14 pm

Admittedly he was fun to watch and I had a front row seat for the Latina night and I was pumped but as stated above, the CCSU curse and how he left is what left me with a frustrated attitude towards him. Happy he’s doing well in the pros. Our curse needs to be lifted before I die 😂