Analytics

Lets talk some Hoops!
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Analytics

Post by BigBlue92 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:19 am

Every week I bump into a certain NEC coach (who will remain nameless) at the grocery store. We have a mutual friend so we often end up talking basketball. This week I threw it out there...”Coach, how much do you guys rely on analytics these days and do you have a full time guy on staff who specializes in this?”
His answer, “It’s huge. It plays some part in every aspect of what we do—from recruiting and player evaluation, to goal-setting and conversations with our players. I have 2 assistants who are our analytics guys.” Then he added, “Yeah, if you’re not utilizing analytics these days you’re missing out and ignoring a crucial tool.”
Then we ended up talking for 1/2 hr and he gave me all kinds of interesting examples of the types of things his team is currently doing with analytics.
For you analytics deniers out there, or those of you who think it’s not being used EXTENSIVELY by the top teams in the NEC, this Coach dispelled that myth in a hurry.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Analytics

Post by CCSU4-3 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:10 am

:roll: Yeah but Michael Jordan didn't use analytics!!! :roll:

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:07 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:10 am
:roll: Yeah but Michael Jordan didn't use analytics!!! :roll:
Ha! Funny thing, the coach who I’m referring to used that exact same example. He said, “People who throw Jordan out there as an example of why mid-range shots aren’t a bad thing are being ridiculous.” Then he added, “First of all, the guy is like the greatest player of all time. And second of all, he was one of those rare examples of a guy who could shoot a high enough percentage from mid-range to make it a ‘good’ shot for him.” He gave me an example of a player on his team who shot almost 50% from mid-range last year but really struggled from 3. Even so, they’re trying to stretch this guy out because if he’s limited to ONLY making 15-18-foot shots then it’s not going to be easy to get this guy much playing time within the structure of what they’re trying to do offensively.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:15 pm

Fascinating stuff!

And also, in 1986 if someone convinced Jordan that he'd be EVEN BETTER if he shot more threes and fewer mid rangers, he would have.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:50 pm

Yep, we got a coach that doesn't believe in it. Have to assume if he doesn't win this year, he will not be renewed, but I'd wonder what the Mendoza(to use a baseball term) line would be? Is single digit wins acceptable after a 4, excuse me, 3 win season? I'd say no way. Guessing as to who your friend is, I'm pretty sure he lost a ton of players this year and analytics may not help him all that much this season, but he's proven to be a good coach despite not getting to the promised land. Hopefully DM comes around but I'm certainly not holding my breath. We will see mid range jumpers galore, lol