Next Season

Lets talk some Hoops!
User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Next Season

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:59 am

I admittedly haven't been paying as close attention as normal this season because it was just so deflating but something just dawned on me so I looked it up. We better hope and pray that this team is capable of pulling something off/getting better. Reason being, we only have 1 open scholarship left.
#-o . Two of our 3 graduating seniors are walk on's. Good lord, unless we get defections, we have one shot at a point guard and/or a rebounder and we need both. I'm not too thrilled at the moment for next year. Also, one would have to think, and I think we are all on the same page, but if DM were going to leave/asked to leave, that would happen today no? Why drag that on? I think he's staying and I'm getting worried for next year already. I'm sure 4-3 will chime in w/ the truth but who are we happy about keeping next season?

Greg Outlaw - Had some flashes this year, think he can be a very good NEC player
Trey Tennyson - Didn't play as much as I wanted him to, think he can be a great NEC player
Myles Baker - Flashes, think he can be an above average NEC player
Ian Krishnan - Worrying about his leadership, seems happy to just go w/ the flow, even when the flow is cr@ppy. Has all the talent to be great
Xavier Wilson - Had flashes this year, needs to develop but think he'll be just fine
Zach Newkirk - Without looking it up (and as you can tell this is all from my head, lol) he didn't make too big on an impression this year for me @ least
Thai Segwai - Is he still on the team? Hurt? Benched?
Jamir Reed - Isn't this the kid who went off a few weeks ago? Like could not miss? Need to see more of that kid...
Stephane Ayangma - Similar to Zach for me
Javen Udofia - Ditto
Karrington Wallace - Going to have to be our "big" man. Had decent moments this season
Ola Olamuyiwa - DM did this kid no favors, didn't develop him or play him in a wasted season. He will be Harry Kay 2.0. Blame DM.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 am

Re: Next Season

Post by CCSU4-3 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:34 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:59 am
I admittedly haven't been paying as close attention as normal this season because it was just so deflating but something just dawned on me so I looked it up. We better hope and pray that this team is capable of pulling something off/getting better. Reason being, we only have 1 open scholarship left.
#-o . Two of our 3 graduating seniors are walk on's. Good lord, unless we get defections, we have one shot at a point guard and/or a rebounder and we need both. I'm not too thrilled at the moment for next year. Also, one would have to think, and I think we are all on the same page, but if DM were going to leave/asked to leave, that would happen today no? Why drag that on? I think he's staying and I'm getting worried for next year already. I'm sure 4-3 will chime in w/ the truth but who are we happy about keeping next season?

Greg Outlaw - Had some flashes this year, think he can be a very good NEC player
Trey Tennyson - Didn't play as much as I wanted him to, think he can be a great NEC player
Myles Baker - Flashes, think he can be an above average NEC player
Ian Krishnan - Worrying about his leadership, seems happy to just go w/ the flow, even when the flow is cr@ppy. Has all the talent to be great
Xavier Wilson - Had flashes this year, needs to develop but think he'll be just fine
Zach Newkirk - Without looking it up (and as you can tell this is all from my head, lol) he didn't make too big on an impression this year for me @ least
Thai Segwai - Is he still on the team? Hurt? Benched?
Jamir Reed - Isn't this the kid who went off a few weeks ago? Like could not miss? Need to see more of that kid...
Stephane Ayangma - Similar to Zach for me
Javen Udofia - Ditto
Karrington Wallace - Going to have to be our "big" man. Had decent moments this season
Ola Olamuyiwa - DM did this kid no favors, didn't develop him or play him in a wasted season. He will be Harry Kay 2.0. Blame DM.
I think there will be at least three open scholarships. Who will be the casualties? Obviously Coleman's graduation opens one, and Udofia appears to be out the door. There will likely be one more, and it'll likely be a non-rotation player.

As for the rotation guys likely to return, there's a lot of talent there! You're right, they desperately need an average NEC point guard; not a star level guy, but someone who could come in and average 8-10 points and 3-4 assists, make plays for others, take care of the basketball, and play solid defense. Those guys are hard to find, though they do exist specifically in the JUCO market. I wouldn't be surprised if they got another backcourt type player, and yes they desperately need a BIG- someone who can both rebound AND protect the rim.

A quick run through the positions:

PG: Newkirk is an adequate backup PG, and Segwai could be a fine emergency guy? But yeah, they need a starter-level guy. Baker and Reed can fill-in here in a pinch as well.

Wings: Loaded. Ian Krishnan is one of the best three-point shooters in the league. Jamir Reed was REALLY good as a freshman (and can play the 4 in a small lineup which I liked quite a bit late in the year), Myles Baker and Greg Outlaw are both super talented, though different, players who need to continue to develop. And Trey Tennyson is as good of a shooter as anyone, but he needs quite a bit of development overall as well.

Bigs: Xavier Wilson really developed as the season went on and will be really good by the time he's a junior. Developing offensive game and ability to block shots. Needs to get physically stronger and work on that jumper. Wallace is a fine backup unless he can develop a 3-pt shot since, given his body type, he's limited to being a help defender (shot blocker) and rim-runner. Ayangma is a nice combo of those two- solid offensively, good rebounder, can't rim protect. And Ola? Obviously a project, though it appeared he was just in sweats (injured?) over the final handful of games which may be why he didn't see the floor.

Add an average NEC PG and an average NEC big, combine with the return of the entire eligible rotation, necessary development (freshman to sophomore is the biggest jump, statistically), and other teams losing veterans, and I do think this team can make a jump. But that's a lot of things "going right". We'll see.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:42 am

Re: Next Season

Post by hilltopper » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:24 am

Guess we all agree that we need a good NEC caliber PG and PF.
I am not worried about having only one scholarship to fill, because the assumption that everyone returns is not realistic. There will be transfers, it happens every year.
Anyway, it appears that Udofia is gone so that is a second scholarship opened.
I just hope that it is not a mass exodus.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4279
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Next Season

Post by J.J. » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:44 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:34 pm
Add an average NEC PG and an average NEC big, combine with the return of the entire eligible rotation, necessary development (freshman to sophomore is the biggest jump, statistically), and other teams losing veterans, and I do think this team can make a jump. But that's a lot of things "going right". We'll see.
Good summary. I think we all know what needs to be done - PG, big man, improved shot selection, player development, etc. Nothing that can't be accomplished with hard work.

However, other than "blind faith" there isn't much in the last 4 seasons that suggests to anyone that DM will get even a few of these things to go right for us. That's why I'm so concerned and would rather have someone else take over and see what happens.

User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: Next Season

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:45 pm

Say hello to our new point guard. 4-3 got the scoop on Twitter, I'm just bored as hell working from home and hope someone wants to discuss, lol

http://verbalcommits.com/players/nigel-scantlebury

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:42 am

Re: Next Season

Post by hilltopper » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Nigel Scantlebury, a great name, sounds like a character from a Dickens novel.
He looks good on the highlight reel. A PG that can also shoot threes is a bonus.

Verbal Commits has Scantlebury listed as a Sophmore along with Newkirk and Segwai, both of whom will be Juniors next season. So is Scantlebury coming in as a Junior?

User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: Next Season

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:20 pm

I believe he is.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:43 pm

Re: Next Season

Post by Shoreline » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:25 pm

"Sounds like a character from a Dickens novel." hilltopper

I hope this means the best of times is on the horizon, because we have already had the worst of times.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 am

Re: Next Season

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:40 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 pm
Nigel Scantlebury, a great name, sounds like a character from a Dickens novel.
He looks good on the highlight reel. A PG that can also shoot threes is a bonus.

Verbal Commits has Scantlebury listed as a Sophmore along with Newkirk and Segwai, both of whom will be Juniors next season. So is Scantlebury coming in as a Junior?
That's correct.

I included a lot of Scantlebury info in my latest blog post.
https://www.thebluedevilsden.com/single ... cantlebury

User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: Next Season

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:31 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:40 pm
hilltopper wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 pm
Nigel Scantlebury, a great name, sounds like a character from a Dickens novel.
He looks good on the highlight reel. A PG that can also shoot threes is a bonus.

Verbal Commits has Scantlebury listed as a Sophmore along with Newkirk and Segwai, both of whom will be Juniors next season. So is Scantlebury coming in as a Junior?
That's correct.

I included a lot of Scantlebury info in my latest blog post.
https://www.thebluedevilsden.com/single ... cantlebury
Very nice write up 4-3, as usual. Almost give me hope..almost. Curses are a tough thing to remove..lol.. we have to figure out who cursed us and maybe bring some rum to Jobu...ha!

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:42 am

Re: Next Season

Post by hilltopper » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:43 pm

Another opening. According to Verbal Commits, Thai Segwai has transferred:
http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/ce ... icut-state

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 am

Re: Next Season

Post by CCSU4-3 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:51 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:31 pm


Very nice write up 4-3, as usual. Almost give me hope..almost. Curses are a tough thing to remove..lol.. we have to figure out who cursed us and maybe bring some rum to Jobu...ha!
Thanks, man.

I'm not going to try and sell people on being optimistic on next season and I won't sit here in March and predict any sort of jump in the standings, or what their record could be. I do believe it's possible, however. But yeah, after the last decade plus, I don't think any of us are ready to get overly excited until we really see it.

If there's anything you or anyone want me to research and write about, let me know. It's not like I have sports to watch.

User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: Next Season

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:09 pm

2C846704-23FC-45A0-8802-EEAE699EE330.jpeg

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:42 am

Re: Next Season

Post by hilltopper » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:50 pm

Another opening, Verbal Commits has Tennyson as transferred. I for one am sorry to see him go, the guy had a good looking three point shot. I think that he could have developed into a valuable contributor.
Well we have two JC PG's coming in, and two transfers (for now) and one scholarship from graduation. As of now, that leaves one opening, or two if Ufofia is gone (?)
My hunch there is going to be a PF or two in the mix.

Why do I get the feeling that there is going to be more transfers?

User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: Next Season

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:17 am

I'm getting that sinking feeling too. Tennyson is going to be missed. I had a feeling he could have been an impact NEC player and was almost excited to see what a real point guard could do for him in creating his shots. Wonder if we are in for yet another DM mass exodus. All but positive that we are in for one more disaster DM season, which would have to be his last...

Post Reply