“Likely Out the Door”

Lets talk some Hoops!
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

“Likely Out the Door”

Post by BigBlue92 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:50 pm

So Donyell made Jeff Goodman’s “Likely Out the Door List.” I’ll say it again, Donyell fully EXPECTS to be back...and I hope he’s right.

https://watchstadium.com/college-basket ... ssion=true

MID- AND LOW-MAJOR GUYS LIKELY OUT THE DOOR

1) Dan Majerle, Grand Canyon | The three-time NBA All-Star took over in 2013, and won at least 20 games for four consecutive seasons from 2016-19. But this year has been a disaster at 12-15 overall, and Thunder Dan is getting paid a ton of money on top of that. In order to keep his job, Majerle needs either a WAC regular season title or an NCAA tourney appearance. Names to keep an eye on for this job include Randy Bennett, Damon Stoudamire and Tim Miles.

2) Louis Rowe, James Madison | This is his fourth season at JMU, and his best year was in 2018-19 with a 14-19 overall record and a 6-12 mark in the CAA. The former JMU player and assistant is likely on his way out as JMU sits in last place in the conference at 2-14. An early name to watch if Rowe is out is Radford’s Mike Jones.

3) Jeff Neubauer, Fordham | It was a strange hire back in 2015 when the former John Beilein assistant came from Eastern Kentucky. It started strong with a 17-14 record in his first season in the Bronx, but it’s gone downhill ever since. The Rams are 7-20 this season and have won just a single A-10 game.

4) Allen Edwards, Wyoming | The former Kentucky guard was a little bit of a surprise hire when Larry Shyatt opted to step down, and his first two seasons were solid — with a combined 43 wins. But these last two years have been brutal with a combined 15 victories, and the Cowboys are 2-15 in the Mountain West this season. Tim Miles should be in the mix for this one.

5) Terry Porter, Portland | It’s been a tough go for the former NBA star in the college coaching ranks. Portland is probably the worst job in the WCC, and Porter hasn’t really gained any momentum. He was 28-69 overall entering this season and is 9-20 overall and 1-13 in league play this year.

6) Donyell Marshall, Central Connecticut State | The long-time NBA player and former UConn star began his coaching career as an assistant at George Washington in 2010, and also held assistant spots at Rider and Buffalo before getting the Central gig in 2016. This is his fourth season and the Blue Devils are just 4-25 overall and last in the NEC at 3-13.

7) Rick Ray, Southeast Missouri State | Ray was hired at SEMO in 2015 after he was let go at Mississippi State, and he hasn’t been able to get it going in his five seasons with the Redhawks. He’s 7-22 overall and 3-13 in the Ohio Valley this season.

8. Mike Dunlap, Loyola Marymount | Dunlap has been at LMU since 2014, and bought himself this season with a 22-win campaign a year ago. But the Lions are 10-18 overall and have won just four league games this season. Quite frankly, this program has higher expectations.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: “Likely Out the Door”

Post by CCSU4-3 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:23 am

I've heard that it was pure speculation on Goodman's part.

I'd be shocked if Marshall did not return.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:38 am

Yes, it was likely speculation on his part - but can you blame him for coming to that conclusion? Donyell's 4-year record is 35-87 heading into the season finale. If he comes back next year he will have 100+ losses in 5 seasons as head coach.

His record is atrocious and I'm not confident in his ability to add the missing pieces to this roster and finish next season with a winning record. No outside observer would recommend keeping him here for year 5.

That being said, I don't think that matters much right now. With our budget limitations and an interim AD, I too expect DM to return for the final year of his contract. Unless Toro and Tom P. agree on a need for a change and have the finances to buy out the final year, he'll be back.

However, I'm absolutely in 100% disagreement with 4-3 on an extension. Under no circumstances should we financially obligate CCSU to a contract extension until the 2020-21 season comes to an end.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:32 am

Unless I am grossly underestimating the university's Administration, they are not going to do a buyout. Not that they wouldn't like to do that but the easiest thing to do would be to just go for another year.

RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:52 am

A terrible coach handcuffed with a lame duck contract. What could go wrong?

Not for nothing this is the worst decision you can make in this situation.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:11 am

J.J. wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:38 am
However, I'm absolutely in 100% disagreement with 4-3 on an extension. Under no circumstances should we financially obligate CCSU to a contract extension until the 2020-21 season comes to an end.
After talking with others around the sport and thinking more about it, I've changed my tune on this.

There's probably not a benefit to extending him. Say the team finishes 10-8 next season and loses in the quarterfinals (which I would probably sign for right now, to be honest), it's not like he'll have other D-1 options, so it would make sense to make that decision this time next year and re-sign him for another 2 years if you (the administration) think this is heading in the right direction and you get a sense that the rotation is going to return for 21-22.

But yeah, even if the team looks good in November/December and you get the itch to offer an extension, there's probably not a huge benefit to doing that and the risk is that the team craters in NEC play like it did in 2018-19 (on Thanksgiving of that year we thought we had an NEC title contender). And it's not like it'll help in recruiting- the only senior projected to be on next season's roster is Ayangma.

Anyway, I still prefer he return because I just want to SEE if this group of players can return and develop. If they finish at or near the bottom of the standings again, then sure let's just cut bait and move on.

My preference of what I want the administration to do, in order:
1) Bring him back for the final year of his contract
----gap------
2) Fire him Monday
----huge gap------
3) Extend him
4) Fire him in a few weeks

If they wait a few weeks then fire him, I will LOSE MY MIND. Toro and Pincince (and whoever else is involved) should literally have every piece of information they need by now and should have their mind made up, one way or the other.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:35 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:11 am
If they wait a few weeks then fire him, I will LOSE MY MIND. Toro and Pincince (and whoever else is involved) should literally have every piece of information they need by now and should have their mind made up, one way or the other.
Agreed!

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:00 pm

The decline of the CCSU basketball program(s) is unacceptable.

The university has so many things in its favor in terms of recruitment including new building infrastructure, a growing endowment, and excellent academics.

How we recruited so well when the campus was so “1970’s” is beyond me. Well, perhaps we are recruiting better now and the problems lie in the coaching.

Other university athletic programs and status have grown leaps and bounds in many ways and have less or a supportive fan base than that of CCSU, yet CCSU basketball programs are flatter than an open 1970s can of soda.

By last decade, new field house should have been funded for this decade and CCSU should be a part of a more prestigious conference and/or one that has a similar profile and mission.

I feel it is all coaching at this point. Again, it is not acceptable and AD Pincince and Dr. Toro need to make the basketball programs of top priority.
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 * 2019
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:29 pm

First off I think he’s coming back. Hope I’m wrong but think it’s the case. I believe it was said on here already but I really feel Toro could give two $h!t$ about any sports program. She’s happy to put her face on a picture of a champion but more happy to bolt the heck out of there the second the picture is snapped. She’s not going to do any favors for Athletics and it will be up to Tom to fix this on a minimum budget. But what do I know? The only thing I do know is 27 losses is unacceptable, period, the end. The team showed minimal improvement, has no big man, no rebounder and no true point guard. Do we have anyone in the pipeline? Haven’t even checked myself. What should be expected next season? 9 wins? 10? What’s DM going to do? Continue rebuilding? Go the JUCO route again? Bottom line we are 2-3 years away from even sniffing a home game. We’ve gone a whole year and yes we are one of the youngest teams but except for a few stats that show us getting a bit better, does anyone think we’re a playoff team next year? We are officially the definition of being in between a rock and a hard place. Let’s just pray baseball and football can produce two more championships because basketball isn’t going to any time soon. 🤦🏻‍♂️

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:11 pm

Assuming DM is returning for his final year, if I were the AD I would be putting out informal feelers directed at Patrick Sellers letting him know that he has the inside track to be the Central HC for the 2022 - 23 season.
I know the procedure is more complicated then that but it doesn't have to be, sometimes things can be simple. But that's just me.

Glad this nightmare season is over!
I am sick of DVRing my favorite show - The Biggest Loser - and then finding that it it recorded the Central game.