FDU 2/18/20

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FDU 2/18/20

Post by J.J. » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:35 pm

BB92 - you make a fair point, but I'm just not sold. I'm ready to cut bait and fish in a different pond.

It would be one thing if this was year one or two of his deal, but we are now looking back at 4 years of a 5-year deal. Do we get a refund for his contract for the first 3 years?

I'm not happy that we had to watch him learn on-the-job for the first 4 years and we have nothing to show for it. We've got a head coach that was suspended for an altercation with his assistant; he let a very talented player negatively destroy team chemistry; he hasn't seemed to develop any player into something better than when he recruited him; hasn't shown any ability to manage Xs and Os in game; and we've finished three (of four) seasons without even qualifying for the NEC Tourney.

I don't think anyone would disagree that he's been a very good recruiter. I think he has a nice eye for talent and has been able to sign some very athletic kids. He's brought some nice players to New Britain, and yes the current group seems to have a lot of potential, so it would be great to see them succeed.

I guess what you're saying is that we've already paid for next season, so let's keep him and see how it goes. That's fine, but does a 15-19 record in 2020-21 warrant an extension? Doe he need to win at least 1 NEC Tourney game to coach here beyond his 5-year deal? How do we measure success (not progress)?

Personally, I don't see any scenario next year that convinces me to extend his contract - so my point is why not just start the rebuild next year?

ccsudevils1
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by ccsudevils1 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:54 pm

DM should resign. Reminds me of Mike Brown who succeeded Detrick

ccsudevils1
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by ccsudevils1 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Mike Brown was 20-64 in 3 seasons 1988-1991 He joins Mark Adams in the CCSU Hall of Shame

The Unknown Fan
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by The Unknown Fan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Given the current fiscal constraints on CCSU it is not realistic that they would be able to buy out the final year of his contract. The # 1 priority for turning this program around depends on bringing in a truly legit point guard who can hit the ground running on day one. Unless that happens I don't care who the coach is. A decent big man who can rebound and defend in the paint wouldn't hurt either.

GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:38 pm

I'm I correct in seeing CCSU's overall basketball record is at .399%. The whole damn program has been stuck in rebuilding years.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:52 pm

Ya we’ve basically had three good seasons.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:59 pm

GameDay wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:38 pm
I'm I correct in seeing CCSU's overall basketball record is at .399%. The whole damn program has been stuck in rebuilding years.
Yep. In the D-I era CCSU has been a bad basketball program, with the exception of Howie's brief run from 1999-2013.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:03 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:52 pm
Ya we’ve basically had three good seasons.
More or less, but I would call those 3 magical seasons.

We've had a handful of other successful seasons sprinkled in that we can't discount. Howie did very well in about 15 of his 20 seasons.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:43 pm

Yes, DM will be back unless he voluntarily resigns.

Yes, Dr. Toro won’t waste $$ buying him out. We simply don’t have the resources.

I know this is the FDU thread, but it went off on a tangent...so I’ll continue.

I understand concerns over Dr. Toro and the direction of the program. I don’t think she places it as a priority, BUT I also don’t think she wants to drop a division. Besides, it really wouldn’t save any money.

I feel that she wants to leave the program in Tom’s hands and concentrate on academics. As long as there are no issues that she has to directly answer, she’ll be OK with Tom running the show and maintaining the status quo as far as conference alignment and status goes.

I truly feels she’s happy with the success of football, baseball and women’s soccer and she’ll be happy with success in all sports as well but she’s not going to pump money into the athletic department.

Bottom line...We will have to do the best we can with what we have.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:05 pm

BigBlue92 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:31 pm
I think the issue is more complex. The question we need to ask ourselves is, "Do we think that we have something in this freshman class?" I can tell you that the coaching staff thinks that this group is going to turn into something very special. If Donyell is fired at the end of the season we must be willing to accept that there will likely be a mass exodus of these players. We'll be starting over from scratch AGAIN. I'm willing to see what the coaching staff can do with this current group. Personally, I love how this group has progressed.
I agree with BB92 here (surprise, surprise!).

I was never strongly in either camp, but after what I've seen from this team over the past seven games, I really want to see Marshall return and at least see what we've got with this group. I wrote about their improvements today, and they appear to be real (not just a two-game blip). http://bit.ly/2VeEETE

If Marshall leaves, most (if not all) of the roster would likely be gone too, which means yet another complete rebuild. Do I think they are going to win the NEC title next year if he returns? Of course not, but this season in the NEC has been dominated by seniors, and we could return our entire rotation. Add an average-to-good PG and a big, and they could finish somewhere around .500 next season. Then if they all return in 21-22, we've got something.

Yes, that's a lot of "ifs", and we've dealt with that before. Which is why I continue to say- the administration, namely Tom Pincince (who I hope gets the interim tag removed in the spring) should have a damn good idea if Donyell Marshall is the right guy or not. He knows a hell of a lot more about what's going on behind the scenes than any of us do, and if he can't see it working out in the next couple of seasons for whatever reason, he should just cut bait and let us move on right now. But if he thinks the program has a shot at a major rebound over the next two seasons with Marshall at the helm, then he should try to sign him to a one-year extension, and at minimum he should let Marshall ride out his contract.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:48 pm

I am for DM's return.
The reality is that eating the last year of the contract is not a good financial move.
Let's see what he can do in year 5.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:24 am

To put the last seven games in perspective, we went 3-4 against teams with a combined 85-100 record. Our three wins came at the expense of Wagner (10th in the NEC), Bryant (9th), and FDU (T-6th). Their combined records are 27-50. The bar has not just been set low, its lying on the gym floor.

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:22 am

Shoreline wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:24 am
To put the last seven games in perspective, we went 3-4 against teams with a combined 85-100 record. Our three wins came at the expense of Wagner (10th in the NEC), Bryant (9th), and FDU (T-6th). Their combined records are 27-50. The bar has not just been set low, its lying on the gym floor.
I guess I would contest that 3 consecutive road losses during that stretch—@SFU, @RMU, @Bryant—by a combined 18 points, from a young team who was getting BURIED early in the year, is actually a step in the right direction. This team had every right to basically quit on each other and on the coaching staff, yet they are continuing to battle. I’m not ready to blow it all up and start from scratch.....again.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:06 am

I love the diverse and informed opinions posted here - we really have some great fans that care deeply abut the program.

I agree that the most likely scenario is DM and company return for 2020-21 season due to budgetary limitations and inertia. My concern (like shoreline) is we've lowered expectations so much, what does a successful season look like next year? How long are we willing to wait for a team that can compete for a NEC championship? I'm not suggesting the expectation is a NCAA appearance, but we do expect at least a Top-4 finish and a NEC QF Tourney win, right? Is that possible next year - maybe - but if we finish in 5th place and lose in the first round, what do we do then?

I suspect we will be having this same debate/discussion next February - something has been shown to prove were not the worst team in the country or conference and that alone is some kind of justification to extend his contract and let this experiment go on even longer. The optimist suggests there is a potential for this team to be good, but I remain too skeptical based on the how we got to where we are today.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:35 pm

Shoreline wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:24 am
This is why just focusing on records is not appropriate. You can make surface level data support whatever argument you want to make.

As I said in my blog post, over their last 7 games, their average Game Score (per Bart Torvik) was 29.7. League average is 32.9. They've played line a 7ish-11ish team for about 4 weeks now.

No I'm not going to sit here and tell you that's GOOD, because it's not. But for a team playing with largely freshmen and sophomores, it's not terrible, and it appears they've turned a corner.

Maybe they'll lose their final 3 games by 39 points each and this will all be moot. But there's been a real improvement.