Wagner

Lets talk some Hoops!
BlueDevilsRule
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Wagner

Post by BlueDevilsRule » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:44 pm

Finally a happy day for CCSU b-ball. Congrats to the women and men for hanging in there and producing
2 wins.

GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Re: Wagner

Post by GameDay » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:04 pm

Great game. I am so happy for them. In the SHU game they seem to be to be finally trying to get the ball inside, today they added the 3 and more hustle for the rebound. I thought there would be a lot of post on the game by now.

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:04 am

I think fans are sick of watching blow outs.
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 * 2019
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:50 am

The 120.5 PPP was our best of the season (vs D1 competition). I love that we took GOOD 3s (for the most part)...and knocked down 11-24!
Perimeter D was really good! Only gave up three 3FGs.
The one glaring negative—rebounding. Gave up 22 offensive boards!...which explains Wagner’s 106 PPP.
Gotta love that this team has not quit on each other. The hardest thing in sports is going through the grind of a season when you’re not winning.
Anyone hear ANYTHING about Coleman?

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:38 am

Some observations from yesterday:

1. Nada on Coleman. Personally I think he has an attitude problem aka Kohl but it’s simply my feeling and nothing more.

2. FINALLY used Ian the way they were supposed to but where the heck did he go in the second half??? Has to put two complete halves together.

3. Wallace had a good game. The boy needs to hit the weight room hard over the offseason. Has to be stronger down there and improve his hands and yes I know he’s most likely a wing but it’s how we roll with “bigs” around here.

4. Rowe has to play more. Kid had a great game yesterday.

5. It was wonderful to see the boys and Donyell happy after the final whistle blew.

6. Where was , what happened to Berryl?

7. We have to remember that we played Wagner. I even stopped myself from looking at the standings and remaining schedule to see how we make the playoffs, 😂 bad Hoops! Snap your wristband immediately! 😝

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:46 pm

So great to hear that both ends and women picked up a win!
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:22 pm

Taking a lot of threes and making a high percentage (24 shots, 11 made for 45.8%) won the game.

Krishnan was a spectacular 5 for 8 from three.

They need to take and make threes. The team is making threes at a 34% rate for the year. That is pretty good . It is the equivalent of shooting 51% for two point shots. That is their only hope as they have no effective low post game. As a result they take a lot of mid range jumpers. The mid range has become a vast wasteland in today's game.

I am not ragging on Wilson or Wallace! Before they are done Wilson and Wallace may develop into good NEC PFs. They both are athletic with skills. Circumstances beyond their control have burdened them with carrying the load as the lead big men before they are ready.

Give Reed and Tennyson more playing time and tell them to take the open three when it appears. If they miss a couple, tell them to keep shooting if they are open. They are both shooters, let 'em fly!

I like Rowe he is a spark plug and is all over the place and looks like he can shoot...more playing time.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:17 am

The kids deserved to celebrate what has been a miserable season. They haven't given up or packed it in, when it could have been real easy to do so. Glad to see them put it together and come out with a "W" and would be great to see them do it a few more times.

Doesn't change my opinion on the trajectory of the team or the program. We might have some really good players we can build around, but we need to go in a different coaching direction starting in March.

But it was nice to see hear about some joy in Mudville.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Agreed JJ, the win was nice. Especially since it was a double header win. But the problems still remain for both the MBB and WBB programs.
After all they shot 46% from three, and that is a rate that cannot be maintained.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:15 am

J.J. wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:17 am
We might have some really good players we can build around, but we need to go in a different coaching direction starting in March.
I wonder what is going on at the Athletic Directors office?
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:58 am

Larryl9797 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:15 am
J.J. wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:17 am
We might have some really good players we can build around, but we need to go in a different coaching direction starting in March.
I wonder what is going on at the Athletic Directors office?
Was Berryl coaching last night? Tough tough loss again... ugh...

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:43 am

Was Berryl coaching last night? Tough tough loss again... ugh...
No, Reeves was in charge.
This was one that got away. They had an 8 to 12 pt lead for most of the game and then the first 6 or 7 minutes of the last period were scoreless for Central. I really cannot blame the coaching, Central just seemed to have a lid on the basket. Coaches draw up plays to put players in position to succeed, The players just missed ALL the shots that were going in earlier.
That stretch was where the game was lost.
Berube watched the last 3:33 from the bench. I don't know why.
Give SHU credit, they seized the opportunity to win.
Topping had an open three with 5 seconds left but it did not go down, and then SHU called time out but it did not appear to me that the SHU player had possession.
With 3.6 seconds, score tied, there was a defensive breakdown and SHU then made a layup.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:27 pm

Something is going on with Piper. If she was ill, would they not just say so? Wonder what's up...