VS SHU 1/15/2020

Lets talk some Hoops!
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: VS SHU 1/15/2020

Post by hilltopper » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:58 pm

hi CCSU 4-3,
Okay, we have to agree to disagree! I am not going to push this point after this post. I am not a BB expert, but have watched enough to recognize a problem when I see it. As in football the athletic skill guys look a lot better when they are playing behind big men in the trenches. The paint is the trenches for BB.

The rebounding stats are an indicator of the deficiency at the PF position.

Shooting % is bad because there are too few shots being made in the paint. The low post game if successful yields high shooting percentages. This is the other side of the coin of the rebounding deficiency. The Central guards could pass the ball into the interior and the shot either gets blocked or is an intimidated miss. That is why the FG% is unsatisfactorily low, 39%. Teams with low post threats have higher shooting percentages. It also opens up the outside shot from the occasional kick out.

The three point shooting is not bad at almost 34%, however there is not enough quantity of threes to make up for the lack of paint presence, There are three players with 3 pt shooting percentages over 40%... Krishnan, Ayangma, and Tennyson. In addition Baker 36%, Newkirk 35%, Reed 33%, and Coleman 36% are all at or over the break even point of a 50% average for twos.

The team should be passing around the perimeter looking for an open three, and when throwing in to someone in the paint if he does not have an immediate shot, kick it out, and shoot the three. Bigs should not be taking more than one dribble in the paint. Bad things happen when NEC big men post up and then dribble in the paint, yet Central's bigs do it a lot. Either go up for the shot or kick it out. If its not there don't force it.

The problem is with the guys playing PF. I am not blaming them, they are either really wing players or lack experience. For instance Ayangma is shooting 40% from three, but does not take many outside shots because he is in the paint. Wilson is a freshman and needs development that will come from experience. Wallace has been hurt and probably also needs experience, Coleman is better as a finesse wing player, Ola should be getting more minutes, would giving him experience have resulted in a worse record?

When you watch Central in NEC play look at the other teams PFs and ask would we be better with one of those guys?

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:54 pm

I think you're missing my point. I agree that they are a terrible rebounding team. And I agree that their front-court is not good. It's not because they are smaller than other teams though, and it's not because they are less talented generally either, and it's not because of one specific position.

No team plays with a true PF outside of Sacred Heart (Anosike). Is Jamir Coleman less talented than the majority of NEC "4s". Nope. Has he been good this year? Nope. Is it because he's too small? Nope. Most 4s are exactly like Coleman (and Ayangma)- somewhere between 6'6" and 6'8" with some combination of perimeter shooting and rebounding ability.

The only thing this team is decent at offensively, as you said above is shooting 3s. Yet 288 teams take more 3s than they do. Does that make sense? Nope.

They take bad shots (or don't take good shots), they turn it over, they miss layups, they miss free throws, they don't move the ball, they don't get offensive boards, they allow wide open 3s, they allow too many offensive boards, they don't force turnovers, they have no rim protector.

Bad rebounding teams have won championships. Bad shooting teams have won championships. Teams that turn it over too much have won championships. Small teams win championships. Big teams win championships. All good teams with flaws make up for what they were bad at by being REALLY GOOD at something else. Bad defensive rebounding team? Force a ton of turnovers and it doesn't matter. No shooting? Become elite defensively. Small frontcourt? Space the floor and hit a ton of 3s.

Why is this team bad? Because they aren't GOOD at any aspect of the game. It's not because they are bad at any ONE thing (rebounding or don't have a rim protector or turn it over too much or have bad perimeter defense, etc.
). They are deficient in most areas of basketball. That was my point.

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:45 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:54 pm
I think you're missing my point. I agree that they are a terrible rebounding team. And I agree that their front-court is not good. It's not because they are smaller than other teams though, and it's not because they are less talented generally either, and it's not because of one specific position.

No team plays with a true PF outside of Sacred Heart (Anosike). Is Jamir Coleman less talented than the majority of NEC "4s". Nope. Has he been good this year? Nope. Is it because he's too small? Nope. Most 4s are exactly like Coleman (and Ayangma)- somewhere between 6'6" and 6'8" with some combination of perimeter shooting and rebounding ability.

The only thing this team is decent at offensively, as you said above is shooting 3s. Yet 288 teams take more 3s than they do. Does that make sense? Nope.

They take bad shots (or don't take good shots), they turn it over, they miss layups, they miss free throws, they don't move the ball, they don't get offensive boards, they allow wide open 3s, they allow too many offensive boards, they don't force turnovers, they have no rim protector.

Bad rebounding teams have won championships. Bad shooting teams have won championships. Teams that turn it over too much have won championships. Small teams win championships. Big teams win championships. All good teams with flaws make up for what they were bad at by being REALLY GOOD at something else. Bad defensive rebounding team? Force a ton of turnovers and it doesn't matter. No shooting? Become elite defensively. Small frontcourt? Space the floor and hit a ton of 3s.

Why is this team bad? Because they aren't GOOD at any aspect of the game. It's not because they are bad at any ONE thing (rebounding or don't have a rim protector or turn it over too much or have bad perimeter defense, etc.
BINGO. Beautifully articulated. A truer analysis was never penned.

GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:27 pm

What did Central do in second half of game that allowed them to compete with SHU? Can you do the same thing on Thursday and win the game?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 pm

BigBlue92 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:45 pm
CCSU4-3 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:54 pm

BINGO. Beautifully articulated. A truer analysis was never penned.
Add me to the list that "LIKES" this post! I think Hilltoper and 4-3 agree on what CCSU isn't doing well (everything).