I know things are bad

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I know things are bad

Post by J.J. » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:23 am

Sorry, but this is a big deal and it speaks volumes about the Administration at CCSU. This is now a clear trend where we can't keep qualified professionals to lead our athletic department. It is a glaring sign with flashing red lights - no one is going to want to come here. When you look at the track record of our ADs, they only one that stayed for an extended period of time was C.J., a true blue Central guy. Everyone else jumped ship because of the budget and administration.
“Though this is disappointing news for us, we cannot begrudge Brian this significant opportunity for professional growth,” University President Zulma R. Toro said in a statement.
RED FLAG WARNING - CCSU is not a place to grow! The President has publicly admitted that we are stagnate institution, with a shrinking budget and no support for athletics from leaders and legislators. Why would anyone want this job?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:26 am

ccsuhoops wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:43 pm
The bs politics in NB must be astounding. DM will be here forever. WTF...
Yep. Without an permanent AD (and the necessary budget resources), DM will finish his 5-year contract at CCSU and return for next season. The only way a change is made is if DM leaves of his own accord - there is no one to push him out the door at the end of this disastrous season.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:03 am

They shoulda hired Steve. He would have been a true blue guy and probably stuck around. Too late now...

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:44 am

ccsuhoops wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:03 am
They shoulda hired Steve. He would have been a true blue guy and probably stuck around. Too late now...
That would only cover up deeper institutional issues. Steve is on the inside, he sees what is going on. If experienced ADs that have worked at places like SBU, Yale, Nevada, Pepperdine run for any job after spending a few months at CCSU, you know things are bad. Steve is a great guy and would do a fine job, but he will face the same challenges as his predecessors. He would be a caretaker as this program falls further into irrelevance.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:51 am

Wonder if that's Toro's plan. She doesn't seem to be helping here. At least not in Athletics, is she making strides in other places? What would we say her grade is as CCSU pres?

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:46 pm

The financial problems aren't going to change barring an unforeseen huge private donation (not going to happen.)

So the most feasible route is to hire some young go getter who is looking to make a name for themselves. Either promotion from within or an assistant from a successful D1 athletic dept (or maybe an assistant mbb coach from Fairfield? just kidding.)
Hopefully that person will have some success and then after a few years we will try again when they move on.
When Coach Ross left, who out there thought that his replacement would go undefeated in the NEC and an NCAA bid?
There are bargains out there!

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:19 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:51 pm
It does not seem to be that big of a deal. Can anyone say that he did a marvelous job? no, because he wasn't here long enough to have finished hanging the pictures in his office.

A "marvelous job", IMHO, would have meant the following:

1) made efforts publicly known that CCSU wants to move to the CAA for football
2) made efforts publicly know that CCSU wants to move to the America East Conference for all other sports

OR made either both 1 and 2 come to fruition.

What frustrates me the most that CCSU has to go through the hiring process all over again. I think CCSU should just hire within. Consider Tom Pincense.
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 * 2019
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:07 pm

Agreed but neither of those two things will ever happen and are probably part of the political bs that’s going on. Besides, how do you shop the most important sport (basketball) to another conference when both programs are a complete dumpster fire?

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:35 pm

Besides, how do you shop the most important sport (basketball) to another conference when both programs are a complete dumpster fire?
Yes, you can forget about moving up, when the two basketball programs together cannot get a single win. The good news is that the administration would not consider it under any circumstances, so getting accepted by another conference is not an option anyway.

I think that if i am worried about something, I worry about staying in D1.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:45 am

hilltopper wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:35 pm

I agree Hill. From what I gather, dropping a division won’t save any money but I’m still concerned about it.

Regarding any conference change, it wouldn’t happen even if the basketball teams had a string of winning seasons. The bottom line is that CCSU simply can’t afford the cost of leaving the NEC and joining another conference.

It’s “all about the Benjamin’s” pure and simple and CCSU’s goal should be winning the NEC every year in as many sports as possible.

Off on a tangent a bit...check out what UConn paid to leave the AAC and join the Big East. It’s friggin’ mind blowing!

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:21 am

We aren’t getting an invitation anywhere and can’t afford to do anything right now.

I don’t think dropping to D-II/D-III is on the short term radar (we just went through that exercise and dropped Golf). However, we should be concerned about dropping more sports.

IMO - WLAX has to be the next thing to go. On the men’s side the only thing left is football or soccer and either one would be a real shame.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Skyhawkct wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:45 am
hilltopper wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:35 pm

I agree Hill. From what I gather, dropping a division won’t save any money but I’m still concerned about it.

Regarding any conference change, it wouldn’t happen even if the basketball teams had a string of winning seasons. The bottom line is that CCSU simply can’t afford the cost of leaving the NEC and joining another conference.

It’s “all about the Benjamin’s” pure and simple and CCSU’s goal should be winning the NEC every year in as many sports as possible.

Off on a tangent a bit...check out what UConn paid to leave the AAC and join the Big East. It’s friggin’ mind blowing!
This is correct. CCSU has one of the lowest budgets in the NEC, so there's no way it could compete in the America East or (lol) the CAA.

Increase the MBB budget by ~4x and build a new on-campus arena, and maybe the Colonial becomes possible.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:46 pm

Increase the MBB budget by ~4x and build a new on-campus arena, and maybe the Colonial becomes possible.
I like your plan. You have my nomination to fill the AD vacancy. =D>

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:26 am

Tom P. would be an excellent choice for AD. The larger issue remains, how do we increase the budgetary and institutional support coming from Davidson Hall and the State Captiol for athletics?

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:02 am

J.J. wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:26 am
Tom P. would be an excellent choice for AD. The larger issue remains, how do we increase the budgetary and institutional support coming from Davidson Hall and the State Captiol for athletics?
Agreed JJ

The bottom line is money. They can’t simply increase the budget without the funds in place and all this talk of changing conference is moot because, as I mentioned before, they just can’t afford it.

Not only does it cost a small fortune to leave the NEC and join the AE or CAA, travel costs for football would be sky high.