Hughley article in Recorder

Lets talk some Hoops!
RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Hughley article in Recorder

Post by RonnyRob15 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:06 pm

4-3 tweeted out the Recorder article on JH.

Everyone should have been fired yesterday.

He should have beaten Kohl’s a** on the floor when it happened.

The athletic department is a disgrace - these are state employees who should all be dismissed immediately. Total and complete disgrace that any of these people are getting paid in taxpayer’s dollars.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Hughley article in Recorder

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue May 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Wow! That is awful. CCSU treated Joe with zero respect, not even telling him who suspended him or why. Holy crap. What is RECentral??

https://centralrecorder.org/66037/sport ... -business/

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue May 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Joe is a classy guy. He was a fan favorite and I respect him even more for how he handled this situation. In life, sometimes things just happen and it isn’t fair. He deserves better from his teammates, his coaches, and the Administration.

RR - you are 100% correct. Too many people still employed at CCSU that don’t deserve a paycheck. Very disappointed in the entire administration right now. Can’t say I happy with anything going on there right now.

The exodus of players this year is a huge stain on DM’s reputation as a coach and the entire program looks dysfunctional from the outside. The AD and President needs to make some serious changes and clean thing up ASAP. I’m tired of reading this kinda of crap about the school - it is flat out embarrassing for alumni.

Joe DESERVED better treatment from the school and is owed an apology. Count me as a fan who will be rooting for him and ETSU next season.

Good luck Joe! Wish you were still here, but can’t blame you for leaving.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue May 07, 2019 4:24 pm

P.S.

Kudos for that article. Great writing - telling a complete story and getting great quotes. More coverage like this from the Recorder would be great. Nice to see the student newspaper stepping up and filling a void in the lack of media coverage.

Good luck Patrick on your next endeavor.

RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:11 pm

J.J. wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:19 pm
Joe is a classy guy. He was a fan favorite and I respect him even more for how he handled this situation. In life, sometimes things just happen and it isn’t fair. He deserves better from his teammates, his coaches, and the Administration.

RR - you are 100% correct. Too many people still employed at CCSU that don’t deserve a paycheck. Very disappointed in the entire administration right now. Can’t say I happy with anything going on there right now.

The exodus of players this year is a huge stain on DM’s reputation as a coach and the entire program looks dysfunctional from the outside. The AD and President needs to make some serious changes and clean thing up ASAP. I’m tired of reading this kinda of crap about the school - it is flat out embarrassing for alumni.

Joe DESERVED better treatment from the school and is owed an apology. Count me as a fan who will be rooting for him and ETSU next season.

Good luck Joe! Wish you were still here, but can’t blame you for leaving.
100%

Can you imagine being suspended because a teammate kicked a chair into your face?

He’s much more mature than I because I would have burned the building to the ground.

Their whitewashing and the NEC’s complicity in helping to do that is disgusting.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Tue May 07, 2019 9:13 pm

Very difficult to be a Blue Devil fan let alone look forward to next season with this kind of crap.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue May 07, 2019 10:15 pm

Okay, I am a big Joe Hugley fan. I am glad he got his degree and I wish he would have stayed.
-I think he knows why he was suspended at least it was implied in the article.
-After he left the court something happened between Joe and a member(s) of the athletic department. It was bad enough so that the police were called in. The suspension for Joe was not about the chair. Joe, in the article, says it was a misunderstanding. But if so, why did not the member(s) of the athletic department just step in and say just that?
-Also, it seems the transfer was not related to the "incident" since Joe mentions a mid season consideration. Of course if there was any doubt, I am sure the incident tipped the scales

The reporter for this article does not have any response from the school. Maybe he tried and they wouldn't comment but if so, it should say that in the article. This article strictly represents Joe's view, and maybe he (justifiably) feels that he did not deserve a chair to the head, stitches, and dental work...... but something happened afterward and I suspect that it wasn't pretty.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed May 08, 2019 7:22 am

Hilltoper - you are correct, we didn't get a response from Central. I also thought Joe was honest, that he reacted harshly from the incident on the sidelines, but this was the culmination of other Incidents.

But considering their (lack of) response to the DM incident, the drama professors, and the police department - what did you expect the university to say? They have been silent on ever major scandal to be exposed in the media. Privacy or legal concerns prevent them from ever providing a full explanation. Too much is buried with lawyers or administrators.

President Toro hs taken over a totally dysfunctional institution. She has to deal with multiple issues of professional misconduct, shrinking budgets, and a host if other institutional concerns. I don't envy her job, but something needs to be done. It is more than athletics, is a major state university totally adrift.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed May 08, 2019 10:07 am

I still say they should have walked him out and straight for medical attention elsewhere. He was, as we all would be, seething when he walked by our area. I would have been seeing red too. Great restraint not to deck Kohl the second he got off the floor. I'm hoping, praying this wasn't some sort of backing Kohl as opposed to Joe type thing. DM gave him a ton of rope this year and he hung himself in the end. We all feared it and it came true. Kohl is a cancer. I've stopped following him on all social media and erase him from my mind of CCSU athletics. Last year should have been our climb up year, we had the talent and now we are starting from the basement AGAIN because his antics drove most of the team away. Bye Felicia...

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:00 am

hilltopper wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:15 pm
Okay, I am a big Joe Hugley fan. I am glad he got his degree and I wish he would have stayed.
-I think he knows why he was suspended at least it was implied in the article.
-After he left the court something happened between Joe and a member(s) of the athletic department. It was bad enough so that the police were called in. The suspension for Joe was not about the chair. Joe, in the article, says it was a misunderstanding. But if so, why did not the member(s) of the athletic department just step in and say just that?
-Also, it seems the transfer was not related to the "incident" since Joe mentions a mid season consideration. Of course if there was any doubt, I am sure the incident tipped the scales

The reporter for this article does not have any response from the school. Maybe he tried and they wouldn't comment but if so, it should say that in the article. This article strictly represents Joe's view, and maybe he (justifiably) feels that he did not deserve a chair to the head, stitches, and dental work...... but something happened afterward and I suspect that it wasn't pretty.
This.

The article is one-sided...I don't blame Patrick here, he wrote a good piece, and input Joe's quotes...but from what I understand, there's a bit more to the story and Joe knows why he was suspended, even if he doesn't agree with it.

If DM came out and said WHY Hugley was suspended, it'd look like he was crapping on a player who decided to leave. It's a lose-lose for him.

A crappy situation all around.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 am

J.J. wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:22 am
Hilltoper - you are correct, we didn't get a response from Central. I also thought Joe was honest, that he reacted harshly from the incident on the sidelines, but this was the culmination of other Incidents.

But considering their (lack of) response to the DM incident, the drama professors, and the police department - what did you expect the university to say? They have been silent on ever major scandal to be exposed in the media. Privacy or legal concerns prevent them from ever providing a full explanation. Too much is buried with lawyers or administrators.

President Toro hs taken over a totally dysfunctional institution. She has to deal with multiple issues of professional misconduct, shrinking budgets, and a host if other institutional concerns. I don't envy her job, but something needs to be done. It is more than athletics, is a major state university totally adrift.
Its tough to move a University forward when you have to be on defense all -the -time.
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed May 08, 2019 11:28 am

I've also heard from reliable sources that there is more to the story as written ... and that probably doesn't make Joe look totally innocent in the matter. I'm sure some people would like more info to be made public, but for a variety of reasons, I doubt that happens.

That being said, I stand by my opinion of this matter and the program in general right now - it is a hot mess.

The Tyler Kohl situation was becoming very detrimental to the team and it was obvious to most observers. The complete exodus of hard-working players like Tyson just looks awful for the coaching staff - we are bringing in 7 new players! The implosion of the team's performance down the stretch last season speaks for itself.

I remain a huge supporter of this program and a die hard fan, but the entire situation surrounding this program over the past few years leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. I'm certainly looking to see more outward signs of leadership and accountability. We beg for more communication and information sharing from coaches and administrators.

The school is not doing a good job at all in crafting a pro-active, positive message that fans can get behind. Instead, any bad news stories (from athletics or the rest of the university) just take over the narrative and the institution appears dysfunctional.

Maybe other have a different and more positive perspective, but I've have not seen much to get me exited about anything lately. I want to be optimistic, but I see few tangible signs that we are moving in the right direction - and all other indicators (budget, media coverage) are going backwards.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed May 08, 2019 11:31 am

Larryl9797 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 am

Its tough to move a University forward when you have to be on defense all -the -time.
100%

RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:50 pm

The dude had a chair kicked in his face and didn’t murder Kohl.

There is no other side to the story for me.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed May 08, 2019 3:02 pm

He must have hit/pushed/something to Big Mike or Babba. Sounded like this RECentral was the reason the police were called, WTH even is that?