2019 Offers

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

2019 Offers

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:31 pm

Looks like DM has offered two guards yesterday.

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/centr ... icut-state

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 2019 Offers

Post by Skyhawkct » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:45 pm

I have a love/hate thing with Juco’s. DM is probably looking for a quick fix, which is fine, but two years is such a short time for a player to develop.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 pm

In this case DM is addressing a major problem at PG. He has recruited an incoming Fr in Tennyson who signed before his HS Senior year, so I think that they must be high on this kid, but relying on an incoming Fr to be the QB of the team has its risks. A JUCO transfer should be ready to step right into the action, and the Freshman can proceed to develop along his own learning curve.
DM and staff have done well with JUCO's: Kohl, Hugely, Bute, and Coleman...not bad.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Agree, this is a good strategy. Next years a wash already imho as I don’t think they can survive the loss of Kohl and Bute while being competitive, so let’s see who we can develop.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 pm

I like your insight to the process Hill and Hoops. Let’s hope for the best of course.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:20 am

Tennyson is not a PG...he is a 6'4" wing/shooter (Krishnan was also listed as a PG FWIW). He will likely push for minutes at the 2 and 3.

As for JUCO players, recruiting at this level is all about inefficiencies. Perhaps Marshall feels that building via JUCO guys is more efficient than freshmen...I can't really disagree with that concept as 4 of our top 6 players all came from that route.

One of the guys he offered over the weekend...David Kachelries...played at NJIT for one season but struggled to get minutes. On paper he looks like a good fit. But I'd be surprised to see him bring in another PG without one of the current players (Segwai, Ellis) leaving the program. However I hate speculating and never want to appear to be pushing a kid out.

At this point in time, I'd rather them roll with Hugley at the 5, Coleman at the 4, and Wallace as a backup and bring in another guard. But I wouldn't be surprised to see more scholarships open up at the end of the season.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 am

BTW, one thing you may have noticed is that Donyell Marshall has yet to over-sign players in terms of scharships.

Many coaches out there do this...Jared Grasso currently has 14 schollys "filled" for next season, which means one player will have to go.

I'm not saying it's good or bad...on one hand I admire the fact that he doesn't appear to push kids out, on the other he has quite a few players on the roster who are unlikely to ever become part of the rotation.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:36 am

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 am
BTW, one thing you may have noticed is that Donyell Marshall has yet to over-sign players in terms of scharships.

Many coaches out there do this...Jared Grasso currently has 14 schollys "filled" for next season, which means one player will have to go.

I'm not saying it's good or bad...on one hand I admire the fact that he doesn't appear to push kids out, on the other he has quite a few players on the roster who are unlikely to ever become part of the rotation.
I struggle with this too. Feel bad about the kids that aren't really cut out for d1 but shouldn't it all be about the greater good, i.e., winning CCSU basketball? I mean the kids must know they will never see any meaningful playing time, if they haven't by the 2nd year, probably best to go be a stud in d2 or d3. Hopefully DM is honest with these kids and helps them transition some place else if they can't read the writing on the wall. I'm sorry but 12 years without a bid is killing me.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 pm

There is going to be a transfer or two. It is going to happen. That is simply the reality of D1 MBB. Hopefully, it is limited to a bench player(s) who is looking for more PT and not one of the rotation players looking to move up.
Bute can be replaced, Kohl is another story, but his graduation is going to create an opportunity for other players to step up and fill the vacuum It is probably going to take two or three players to assume more offensive responsibility to make up for his absence.
I like Wallace a lot, the guy is growing. He is size and a freshman who is not a "project." The athleticism and talent is there and I expect that it is going to be fun to watch his development.
As I said before, i am not worried about next year other than filling the void at PG.