1.3.19 Wagner @ CCSU

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 1.3.19 Wagner @ CCSU

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:13 pm

Sounds like concussion protocol for Tyler. May play Saturday. I swear this team is cursed.

wurzshep19
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by wurzshep19 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:16 pm

That was tough to watch. From every aspect.

The game flow - there was none with the exception of about 5 minutes at the end of the first

The refs- holy cow...just wow. They whistle back to back to back Ticky tacky fouls, then at other times nothing’s. They called Phantom fouls and were just awful in both directions

Our 3 pt defense- non existent. It’s maddening to see it just happen over and over with no adjustment

Our offense - flashes but with no Kohl we just looked flat.

That was just not fun.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:54 am

ccsuhoops wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:13 pm
Sounds like concussion protocol for Tyler. May play Saturday. I swear this team is cursed.
Agreed it was a tough game to watch. This is not the start I was hoping for or expecting. Basically if Kohl is not on the floor this team struggles mightily.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 am

RonnyRob15 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:11 pm
It’s hard to describe how bush league the gym looks on Front Row.
Yea. Take a look at Univ of Hartfords ESPN III broadcast sometime. decent camera work and all the cameras have the same color setups. There was a lot of Jumping and when Marc/Bruce were calling for a replay, they were not getting what they asked for. the viewing quality was much much better on ESPN III. Of course my screen grabs dont do the quality difference any justice.

I hate to say it, time to tear down and rebuild the broadcast.
UH.JPG
CC.JPG

Toprowscreamer
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by Toprowscreamer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 am

wurzshep19 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:16 pm
That was tough to watch. From every aspect.

The game flow - there was none with the exception of about 5 minutes at the end of the first

The refs- holy cow...just wow. They whistle back to back to back Ticky tacky fouls, then at other times nothing’s. They called Phantom fouls and were just awful in both directions

Our 3 pt defense- non existent. It’s maddening to see it just happen over and over with no adjustment

Our offense - flashes but with no Kohl we just looked flat.

That was just not fun.

You nailed it. When I walked into the gym and saw Kohl in street clothes, I thought "typical Central." It's always something. And the refs, my god the refs. They just made the experience even more miserable.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:33 am

wurzshep19 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:12 pm
Are we ever going to play 3 pt defense? Ever? This is ridiculous
I really believe this is due to roster construction. Marshall has decided to go big on the wings when building his roster,while every other team plays with 3 guards.

The only players on this roster with D1 guard level quickness are Krishnan, Segwai and Ellis. Batiste is crafty but not exactly quick. Then you have guys like Kohl and Coleman running around chasing guys 4-5 inches shorter and quicker on the perimeter.

The defense is consistently one step behind, which also plays into the rebounding issues. We need quick guards in order to defend in the NEC. And obviously neither Segwai or Ellis are capable of providing minutes at this point.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 am

Coaches should be able to protest against refs like that, 48 fouls?? They should be fined, suspended or fired for calling such a terrible game. And yes, I know we would have lost that game w/ nba refs, as refs can't make a team good from the line or from three but still, it made a horrible game way worse for all those involved.

And another thing, I turned on the EE ladies game as I saw they had a shot at losing, why doesn't Donyell know what Kim Mulkey does? USE YOUR BIGS! Even Bruce and Marc were saying it, Wagner had a kid in trouble, they both said, every possession should go to Bute, what do we do? Hugley jacking up garbage, Krishnen in a mighty mighty slump, and please tell me how Joe Hugley is the only one banging down low, how is it even possible that your center has ZERO free throw attempts.

I always say give the coaches four years, believe we are in year 3 and if this is a sign of next years team, we should be looking onward and upward the year after. 12 years without a bid here we come. And yes that may be an exaggeration as its early but i'm pissed. Team looked like PIne Mannor out there

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 am

We haven't beaten Wagner or SHU since 2014/2015 season, so pathetic.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:09 am

What was the name of the coach that the AD and committee picked before being over ruled, politically for Donyell? Curious to see how's hes done.

Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:52 am

Would love to know who that was. Good question!

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:57 am

ccsuhoops wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:09 am
What was the name of the coach that the AD and committee picked before being over ruled, politically for Donyell? Curious to see how's hes done.
Hasn't gotten a head coaching job anywhere. Is still an assistant at SBU or Rutgers.

Not ready to call this a coaching problem. I love Howie, but he left this program as bad as he found it - one of the worst in DI. We may not like to hear it, but this is a work in progress.

I love the recruitment of big wings. We've been asking for that for years. The problem as 4-3 indicated is the lack of guard play.

The fact is we need both - frontcourt and backcourt play to win. This isn't a well balanced team yet. We have issues, but this is the lowly NEC and we are just a streak from being the best team in the league (or the worst). Can't get too worried about game 1. Lots of hoops to be played and they will have to adjust as the season goes on.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm

J.J. wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:57 am
ccsuhoops wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:09 am
Hasn't gotten a head coaching job anywhere. Is still an assistant at SBU or Rutgers.

Not ready to call this a coaching problem. I love Howie, but he left this program as bad as he found it - one of the worst in DI. We may not like to hear it, but this is a work in progress.

I love the recruitment of big wings. We've been asking for that for years. The problem as 4-3 indicated is the lack of guard play.

The fact is we need both - frontcourt and backcourt play to win. This isn't a well balanced team yet. We have issues, but this is the lowly NEC and we are just a streak from being the best team in the league (or the worst). Can't get too worried about game 1. Lots of hoops to be played and they will have to adjust as the season goes on.
I generally agree with you here, J.J.

My issue is that, three years in and he's yet to bring in a playmaking PG. Tyson Batiste has done a solid job this year, but he's a 15 mpg backup, not a 30 mpg starter.

Thai Segwai is 3 for 20 from the field with more turnovers than assists, and Will Ellis isn't good enough to see the floor.

The fact is, Marshall has not won on the recruiting trail as much as people expected given his NBA pedigree. Krishnan is the only freshman in 3 years who has made anything close to an impact in his first season, and Tyler Kohl wouldn't be here if not for his brother being on staff.

I have no issue with building via JUCO transfers, and he's done in a good job there, but I think we all expected he would have some recruiting steals and that simply hasn't happened (even Krishnan was lightly recruited). During this current cycle, he has lost multiple players to other NEC/northeast schools.

I'm also concerned that CCSU has struggled in the 2nd halves of games consistently over the first 2+ seasons of his tenure, which leads me to believe that he's getting out-adjusted.

I think he's a "fine" coach...I doubt he becomes some high-riser, but I don't think he ends up fired. But I do wonder how this ends. I can't see him spending the next 10 years at CCSU, and i don't think some higher level program is going to steal him away either.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:56 pm

BTW Jared Grasso was one of the finalists for the head coaching job 3 years ago.

Grasso already has won more games at Bryant this season than they won all of last year, are 1-0 in the league, and Grasso is being lauded as one of the best mid-major recruiters out there.

He's also hired a Director of Basketball Analytics, and has leveraged his media relationships (Jon Rothstein) to get more publicity for the team.

I'm not saying CCSU should have hired Grasso instead of Marshall, but it'll be interesting watching how well he does with that perspective in mind.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:22 pm

Kohl out for concussion protocol. We are snake bitten.
Did anyone notice that Central was dominant in the paint?
Here we have been complaining for the Howie years that we didn't have enough size/weight/big athletes and were relying on guard play.
Now we have good bigs, and no point guards. The lack of a PG was exposed with the loss of Kohl, after all he is in reality a point forward.
You cannot expect a team to just make up for the loss of Kohl in mid season. He leads the team in points, rebounds, and assists. These guys are lost without him.
His absence does not bode well for whatever length of time he is out this year. But, I don't think you can draw any conclusions about next year from this.

RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:09 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:56 pm
BTW Jared Grasso was one of the finalists for the head coaching job 3 years ago.

Grasso already has won more games at Bryant this season than they won all of last year, are 1-0 in the league, and Grasso is being lauded as one of the best mid-major recruiters out there.

He's also hired a Director of Basketball Analytics, and has leveraged his media relationships (Jon Rothstein) to get more publicity for the team.

I'm not saying CCSU should have hired Grasso instead of Marshall, but it'll be interesting watching how well he does with that perspective in mind.
I think Donyell will be all right - but I’ll say it. Grasso was a HR for Bryant.