Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 1.3.19 Wagner @ CCSU

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:14 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:22 pm
, I don't think you can draw any conclusions about next year from this.
I sure do. I get he's the best player but that team, without him, looked worse than a d3 team, on their home floor. That was one of the most ugly games I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Seriously though, unless he brings in anther quality big and pg, I'm assuming JUCO because we've only once or twice had a freshman pg able to actually contribute. That being said, who are you excited about next year?

Krishnan - I thought he was the second coming in the beginning, now he can't make a shot
Ellis? - I think we've all established, he's not ready to be a d1 player yet
Segway? - ehh
Wallace? - Could be a nice player
Underwood? - Ehh
Kay? - Nice kid I hear but not doing us any favors by staying and riding pine
Williams? - ehh
Batiste? - I think we've established here he's a nice backup who wont score but wont turn the ball over either
Coleman - Like what I've seen
Hugley? Love Joe, big heart, nice player
Hicks? Needs more PT
Tyler Rowe? Who is this guy?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:16 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:56 pm
BTW Jared Grasso was one of the finalists for the head coaching job 3 years ago.

Grasso already has won more games at Bryant this season than they won all of last year, are 1-0 in the league, and Grasso is being lauded as one of the best mid-major recruiters out there.

He's also hired a Director of Basketball Analytics, and has leveraged his media relationships (Jon Rothstein) to get more publicity for the team.

I'm not saying CCSU should have hired Grasso instead of Marshall, but it'll be interesting watching how well he does with that perspective in mind.
I'm very clear where I thought DM's resume was compared to others - however, under no circumstances was I going to be happy hiring a QU alum (Grasso) for this job. Good for him, but I never wanted him in New Britain.

Donyell wasn't my first choice, but the team is better than when he got it. He has to grow as a recruiter and coach, but he's better than half the low-major coaches out there. Gallagher at Hartford and Dempsey at Binghamton are the type of guys you get at this level. Guys like Glen Miller were bad with more experience.

I hate to say it, but we must be patient and wait. It sucks for fans because it feels like we've been waiting forever, but it's not like any NEC program is striving. It is all very cyclical and these league isn't very competitive anyway.

Now if we want to talk football recruitment and coaching, I think thats where we need to make a change sooner rather than later.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:28 pm

J.J. wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:16 pm
CCSU4-3 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:56 pm
BTW Jared Grasso was one of the finalists for the head coaching job 3 years ago.

Grasso already has won more games at Bryant this season than they won all of last year, are 1-0 in the league, and Grasso is being lauded as one of the best mid-major recruiters out there.

He's also hired a Director of Basketball Analytics, and has leveraged his media relationships (Jon Rothstein) to get more publicity for the team.

I'm not saying CCSU should have hired Grasso instead of Marshall, but it'll be interesting watching how well he does with that perspective in mind.
I'm very clear where I thought DM's resume was compared to others - however, under no circumstances was I going to be happy hiring a QU alum (Grasso) for this job. Good for him, but I never wanted him in New Britain.

Donyell wasn't my first choice, but the team is better than when he got it. He has to grow as a recruiter and coach, but he's better than half the low-major coaches out there. Gallagher at Hartford and Dempsey at Binghamton are the type of guys you get at this level. Guys like Glen Miller were bad with more experience.

I hate to say it, but we must be patient and wait. It sucks for fans because it feels like we've been waiting forever, but it's not like any NEC program is striving. It is all very cyclical and these league isn't very competitive anyway.

Now if we want to talk football recruitment and coaching, I think thats where we need to make a change sooner rather than later.
Feels like? Oh we have been waiting forever. This year makes 12 years without a bid. I know teams go longer but CCSU is supposed to be a basketball school, we need to be better than that.

Pretty sure they love Ross, don't even get me started on Football. Drives me up a wall and back again. I'm still way too mad about last night and mentally preparing myself for our 6th or 7th loss in a row to our former assistant coach tomorrow afternoon.

wurzshep19
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by wurzshep19 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:09 am

ccsuhoops wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:14 pm
[quote=hilltopper post_id=43698 time=<a href="tel:1546629741">1546629741</a> user_id=122]
, I don't think you can draw any conclusions about next year from this.

Krishnan - I thought he was the second coming in the beginning, now he can't make a shot
Ellis? - I think we've all established, he's not ready to be a d1 player yet
Segway? - ehh
Wallace? - Could be a nice player
Underwood? - Ehh
Kay? - Nice kid I hear but not doing us any favors by staying and riding pine
Williams? - ehh
Batiste? - I think we've established here he's a nice backup who wont score but wont turn the ball over either
Coleman - Like what I've seen
Hugley? Love Joe, big heart, nice player
Hicks? Needs more PT
Tyler Rowe? Who is this guy?
[/quote]

I’ll chalk some of this up to emotion after an an ugly game but your assessment is a bit harsh.

Krishnan is easily one of the best freshman to come through the door in recent history and we will be lucky to hold onto him for 4 seasons. If you can name me a freshman that didn’t have bumps along the road I’d be surprised. Without Kohl the load is on him, and that simply not fair to ask, yet.

Hugely is a high/low player....when he is high he is unstoppable, when he is low...he is useless.

I think overall we have a roster to compete in the NEC if we stay healthy...that said we need to see those results and W’s come through.