12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Lets talk some Hoops!
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:43 pm

12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by Shoreline » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:53 am

Coming up on the 19th anniversary of the Mickens , Tice, Edwards et al win over the Friars. FS1 (1208 on the Comcast Crime Family dial) will be carrying the game. A win here, somewhat of a stretch, would set the stage for a successful season.

User avatar
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1086
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Central Connecticut
Contact:

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by Larryl9797 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Providence looks like a tough physical team. Blue devil's got to lace them up tight today
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3805
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by J.J. » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Looks like we have some rust from the 2 week break (I don't count PSU-WB as a game).

The Unknown Fan
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 am

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by The Unknown Fan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:12 pm

Just like PC is not counting this game.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3805
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by J.J. » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Yeah, we aren’t in their class. PC can probably name the score today. Central has got to keep grinding.

We really need to take care of businesses at our level - at Maine is a must win to close out non-conf play. Need to get some confidence heading into NEC schedule.

Oregon State is house money.

User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3423
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by ccsuhoops » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Yeah, we look like garbage against this team. Another take any three they want kind of game, defensive mistakes, turnovers, missed shots, your basic nightmare. These d 3 games aren’t helping to prepare us. We look like a very bad team today.
Last edited by ccsuhoops on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3805
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by J.J. » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:40 pm

Yeah, but PC is good. Would like to see this closer, but we don’t have have the size or talent that the Cooley has recruited to Providence. Big East vs NEC.

I’m looking forward to Maine. That’s a better measurement for our team.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3805
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by J.J. » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Give credit to the Friars. That's a good team that rebounded from a bad loss to UMass and lost a key player to injury.

They passed the ball well, hit their shots and played great D. Of course I wish Central played better, but that was a tall order. We faced an angry team with something to prove - and they did. They will compete for the Big East title and can be a NCAA tournament team.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 am

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by CCSU4-3 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:23 am

J.J. wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:19 pm
Yeah, we aren’t in their class. PC can probably name the score today. Central has got to keep grinding.

We really need to take care of businesses at our level - at Maine is a must win to close out non-conf play. Need to get some confidence heading into NEC schedule.

Oregon State is house money.
"Must win"? Come on, J.J.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3805
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by J.J. » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:06 am

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:23 am
J.J. wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:19 pm
Yeah, we aren’t in their class. PC can probably name the score today. Central has got to keep grinding.

We really need to take care of businesses at our level - at Maine is a must win to close out non-conf play. Need to get some confidence heading into NEC schedule.

Oregon State is house money.
"Must win"? Come on, J.J.
Ok, that was a little hyperbole for effect. :)

But I still think that is a very important game in the sense that we haven’t beat a DI team since November 18. I agree it means nothing in the long term, but I believe in momentum. I think it helps team chemistry a lot to get another scalp vs a NEC-caliber program like Maine before we head to Corvalias and then start league play.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:42 am

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by hilltopper » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Maine is 2-9 but they have been competitive against some opponents from better leagues. They are certainly improved over last year.
Only one of their two wins was against a D1 team but it was a pretty good one, against Fordham.
But for Central this is a game that would be a disappointing loss.

User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3423
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Agreed, we need this one for morale. We've had more than a couple financial games I'll call them where we have no shot, yesterday was a bad loss. They looked awful. Need a team win going into the NEC's not individual accolades. The D3 games do nobody any good. As a season ticket holder, I'd much prefer a local game that we can travel to +/- 2 hours drive time as opposed to watching us kill a team that I'm taller than 60 percent of their roster. They do nothing to prepare us for NEC competition. Maybe the kill games do but we looked really bad yesterday. We have two games left. One is a long way away against a team that we probably have very little shot and another with a pier team. Winning at Maine hopefully will boost the confidence of this team come NEC time. I was speaking to some friends yesterday. I'm anticipating a top 3 finish in the NEC this year. I'd be ok w/ a 4th place finish, not thrilled but happy we got a home game. Anything else imho is a season fail.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 am

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by CCSU4-3 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:44 pm

J.J. wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:06 am
CCSU4-3 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:23 am
J.J. wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:19 pm
Yeah, we aren’t in their class. PC can probably name the score today. Central has got to keep grinding.

We really need to take care of businesses at our level - at Maine is a must win to close out non-conf play. Need to get some confidence heading into NEC schedule.

Oregon State is house money.
"Must win"? Come on, J.J.
Ok, that was a little hyperbole for effect. :)

But I still think that is a very important game in the sense that we haven’t beat a DI team since November 18. I agree it means nothing in the long term, but I believe in momentum. I think it helps team chemistry a lot to get another scalp vs a NEC-caliber program like Maine before we head to Corvalias and then start league play.
Haha I hear ya...the fact is the three worst games against D1 opponents our Blue Devils have played (including factoring in the opponents) have been the last three games.

They were never as good of a shooting team as they showed over the first 8 or so games, and there's a lot of cracks (point guard, turnovers, defense).

They need to start playing better. One would think if they play well they will beat Maine...but it's worth remembering that CCSU will likely be no more than a 3 point favorite. Maine is terrible but road games are hard.

User avatar
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1086
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Central Connecticut
Contact:

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by Larryl9797 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:57 am

Anyone check out the Wagner vs. St Johns game a few days ago? I think we need to look at the Conference tiering before the conference games start.

Agreed J.J. the Maine game is an important game to gauge team progression.
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3423
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: 12.16.18 CCSU @ Providence

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:29 pm

What am I missing, Wagner got killed?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests