11/21 @ LMU

Lets talk some Hoops!
GB33
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Re: 11/21 @ LMU

Post by GB33 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:34 am

Terrible possession up 5 with under a min.

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by BigBlue92 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:29 am

Our defense lost this game. If our perimeter defenders are gonna get beat off the dribble every freakin possession then we’re in for a rough ride. Not sure if it’s a matter of quickness or pride but dribble-penetration is killing us defensively. When you get beat off the bounce it leads to:
1. Fouls.
2. Guy driving to the rack for an easy 2.
3. “Bigs” having to provide help which leaves an offensive “big” open for a dunk....or untouched for an easy offensive board and put-back on a miss.
4. Dish out to the baseline and perimeter pass to an open man for a 3.

.....in other words, ALL of our major issues.
Something has to change.

The Unknown Fan
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by The Unknown Fan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:02 am

I have not posted for quite some time but I still check out the site daily and enjoy reading everyone's comments. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving with their family and friends. I am thankful that we have this wonderful forum to express are thoughts and opinions concerning CCSU athletics. Keep up the good work and go Blue Devils.

bigbluefan1965
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by bigbluefan1965 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:05 am

Skyhawkct wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:48 am
Sick of “moral” victories.
I say the same thing after just about every OOC game.

The most frustrating thing is regardless of what sport it is or who the coach is, CCSU just can’t seem to “learn to win” and close out games.

I’ve been following the threads but not participating the past couple years. I’m not a band wagon fan but I am so sick of moral victories. Had to take a break. CCSU is on a hamster wheel.
Last edited by bigbluefan1965 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Complaining becomes a habit. Focusing on the negative also becomes a habit. It’s one of the most detrimental habits you can possibly have." -- T Harv Eker

bigbluefan1965
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by bigbluefan1965 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:08 am

On the bright side, this team looks in very good shape for the NEC portion of the schedule.

On the downside, fans will be analyzing another close “should have won that one” game again in March and discussing another “moral victory”.
"Complaining becomes a habit. Focusing on the negative also becomes a habit. It’s one of the most detrimental habits you can possibly have." -- T Harv Eker

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by BigBlue92 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:27 am

The Unknown Fan wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:02 am
I have not posted for quite some time but I still check out the site daily and enjoy reading everyone's comments. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving with their family and friends. I am thankful that we have this wonderful forum to express are thoughts and opinions concerning CCSU athletics. Keep up the good work and go Blue Devils.
I like that positive spin, Unknown! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you guys. For the first time in a long time we have a possible contender, and I’m thankful that we have Donyell on our side.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:33 pm

GB33 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:34 am
Terrible possession up 5 with under a min.
Agreed. That was the 2nd worst choke job I've seen this year (behind the Oregon vs. Stanford football game).

But you got to be in games like that to lose 'em - so there is a bright side.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:35 pm

BigBlue92 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:29 am
Our defense lost this game. If our perimeter defenders are gonna get beat off the dribble every freakin possession then we’re in for a rough ride. Not sure if it’s a matter of quickness or pride but dribble-penetration is killing us defensively. When you get beat off the bounce it leads to:
1. Fouls.
2. Guy driving to the rack for an easy 2.
3. “Bigs” having to provide help which leaves an offensive “big” open for a dunk....or untouched for an easy offensive board and put-back on a miss.
4. Dish out to the baseline and perimeter pass to an open man for a 3.

.....in other words, ALL of our major issues.
Something has to change.
What I noticed those last 5 minutes was our failure not not only stop them, but we couldn't even slow them down. The defense at the end was putrid, but it really didn't impact the offense until the final possession.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:36 pm

The Unknown Fan wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:02 am
Same to you unknown. Keep reading and posting!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:29 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Blue Devils!

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:13 am

The problem defensively is when Donyell Marshall chooses to go "big". Personally, I like the big lineup at times: Kohl, Krishnan, Hicks, Coleman, Bute/Hugley. However, defensively that means they will be a bit slower.

But really, this loss was about DM not going with Segwai down the stretch. They needed another ball handler, and Batiste is unplayable in that situation given his free throw shooting issues.

If Segwai plays the final 1.5 minutes, CCSU wins by two possessions.

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by BigBlue92 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:21 am

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:13 am
The problem defensively is when Donyell Marshall chooses to go "big". Personally, I like the big lineup at times: Kohl, Krishnan, Hicks, Coleman, Bute/Hugley. However, defensively that means they will be a bit slower.

But really, this loss was about DM not going with Segwai down the stretch. They needed another ball handler, and Batiste is unplayable in that situation given his free throw shooting issues.

If Segwai plays the final 1.5 minutes, CCSU wins by two possessions.
I agree that we needed a ball-handler in the final minute, BUT our defensive woes spanned the entire second half. I'm sure you examined Torvik's #s--and although I'm not smart enough to understand what they all mean :)--I see A LOT of RED boxes under our defensive stats for last game...and I know that's not good. If going big means that we're willing to allow dribble-penetration on every penetration then...well...it's time to reassess. Because allowing our opponents to attack the hoop off the bounce AT WILL creates breakdowns all over the place. Granted, that little guard was really good but do we seriously not have anybody on our roster who can stay in front of a quick guard???

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:19 pm

CCSU-4,
I agree with that. Segwai has played at crunch time in other games, for the very reasons you mention. I do not know why not against LMU. Maybe it was because he has turned over the ball to a degree that DM has lost trust in him? at least at that moment.
In the few minutes that he played I really liked Ellis, apparently they do not consider him to be a good option at this time. I wonder if it is not time to give more playing time to Segwai and maybe Ellis too. If one of them is the PG of the future then maybe they need to be put into the line of fire, realizing that there are going to be some growing pains?

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:15 pm

Anyone know why Bute wasn’t dressed?

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 am

ccsuhoops wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:15 pm
Anyone know why Bute wasn’t dressed?
"Precautionary".

I'm willing to bet that knee isn't quite 100%. Good job by Donyell giving him the night off.

It looked like Underwood had a sling on his left arm during the LMU game, and he too was in street clothes yesterday.