11/21 @ LMU

Lets talk some Hoops!
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 11/21 @ LMU

Post by hilltopper » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:18 pm

I noticed Underwood was in street clothes and was wondering if he was being red shirted? I don't know if he is still eligible for a red shirt. Or he may be back soon.
Bute seemed to be moving okay,but seeing him in street clothes is alarming as he is important to this team having a successful season. I hope that it was precautionary, he certainly wasn't needed as against Pine Meadow, Kohl seemed to add another position to his resume...Center.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:10 pm

LMU is #10 in the NET (NCAA Evaluation Tool) Ranking.

Virginia Tech is #9

CCSU is #150 (best in the NEC - SFPA is next at #196)

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... -first-net

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:42 am

hmmmm. So in RPI land, we rarely get to 150. So were saying that this NET is a more true way to rank teams? Data can always be manipulated to say what you want it to say so again, just curious cause its hard not to love being the statistical best in the NEC by a wide margain not to mention being upper half by 26 teams.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:28 pm

The NET is a mess, at least right now. Not much better than the RPI. Maybe by March, with a larger sample size, it'll be great.

Any ranking system that can allow teams to make massive jumps or drops after one game is silly. Not worth paying attention to it right now.

RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:01 pm

The NET is historically stupid.

If you threw 350 puzzle pieces on the floor and wrote the teams on the back and then ranked them in the order they were picked up you’d do as well.

Essentially it ignores SOS.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 pm

BigBlue92 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:21 am

I agree that we needed a ball-handler in the final minute, BUT our defensive woes spanned the entire second half. I'm sure you examined Torvik's #s--and although I'm not smart enough to understand what they all mean :)--I see A LOT of RED boxes under our defensive stats for last game...and I know that's not good. If going big means that we're willing to allow dribble-penetration on every penetration then...well...it's time to reassess. Because allowing our opponents to attack the hoop off the bounce AT WILL creates breakdowns all over the place. Granted, that little guard was really good but do we seriously not have anybody on our roster who can stay in front of a quick guard???
oh yeah the perimeter defense was putrid, especially when it came to stopping James Batemon. But I have to wonder...was it bad defense or a great player? Batemon will likely be first team all WCC this year for a reason, and it was almost like he decided he would get to the rim at will and wouldn't be stopped (sounds like Kohl).

I think Segwai is our best perimeter defender...he's also a disaster offensively. Krishnan has a reputation has a really good defender, and he absolutely shut down FAMU's Ravenel...but Batemon straight up abused him over the final 2 minutes of that game. And Kohl is an above average perimeter defender, at least when he decides to be.

Defensively they've absolutely struggled this season, no doubt about it. But long term I'm much more worried about their defensive rebounding than I am the ability to contain dribble penetration. Donyell has to figure out a way to stop allowing second and third chance opportunities.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:19 pm
CCSU-4,
I agree with that. Segwai has played at crunch time in other games, for the very reasons you mention. I do not know why not against LMU. Maybe it was because he has turned over the ball to a degree that DM has lost trust in him? at least at that moment.
In the few minutes that he played I really liked Ellis, apparently they do not consider him to be a good option at this time. I wonder if it is not time to give more playing time to Segwai and maybe Ellis too. If one of them is the PG of the future then maybe they need to be put into the line of fire, realizing that there are going to be some growing pains?
Facts:
- Thai Segwai is 3 for 14 from the field his season.
- Thai Segwai has 9 assists and 8 turnovers on the year.
- Thai Segwai has played 99 minutes this year.
- Will Ellis has played 13 minutes this season.

I tend to operate under the assumption that Donyell Marshall (or any coach, for that matter) has really good reasons for burying guys on the bench. Last year, he regularly complained about Kashaun Hicks' effort level, specifically defensively. Perhaps the same thing is going on with Ellis? Or perhaps he's just not very good?

Against Pine Manor, he took two shots and air-balled them both. One of them was an 18 foot two-point jump shot (terrible shot selection), and the other a floater in the lane. He certainly didn't look like our answer at the point guard position.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:50 am

The sad fact is that Kohl seems to be the best PG on the team. Whether Batiste or Segwai is the PG his role seems to be to take some of the burden off of Kohl.
But you cannot have a PG (Batiste) that cannot make foul shots playing at crunch time, and Segwai may be a work in progress.
This is still a very good NEC team, but it looks like it is going to be PG by committee.