First Game!!! Nov 6th @ Univ of hartford

Lets talk some Hoops!
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Game!!! Nov 6th @ Univ of hartford

Post by Larryl9797 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Great win😁 I like the makeup of this team. It seemed like the hawks drawn up play that got picked off really broke them. Great win!
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Stat of the game for 4-3 and the blog:

3-Point Scoring
CCSU - 2 for 7 (28.6%)
UH - 9 for 25 (36%)

Blue Devils score 6 points on 7 shots (.86 points per 3-point attempt)
Hawks get 27 points on 25 shots (1.08 points per 3-point attempt)

How much does the lack of 3-point scoring hurt CCSU in the long term?

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 pm

DM's strategy was to score in the paint. Bute, Kohl, and somewhat Hugely and Coleman (he had some kind of injury or cramping) were an offensive force in the paint. I think DM did not want to shoot threes but wanted to go inside every trip down, that strategy may have been tailored to this specific opponent. And in the closing minutes Kohl played possessed in the paint. He was impressive.
Also, I like the way DM distributed the playing time, rotating the bigs and playing a lot of the freshman.

DM put Segwai in at PG at crunch time, that tells me that as the year goes on he may emerge as the prime PG.

This was a great win. I like the way the teams intensity seemed to continually increase as the game progressed.
I like what i saw today, I liked it a lot!

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:37 am

hilltopper wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 pm
DM's strategy was to score in the paint. Bute, Kohl, and somewhat Hugely and Coleman (he had some kind of injury or cramping) were an offensive force in the paint.
YES! the inside game was really good and 14 points form the bench! I dont think we have seen a bench stat point like that in quite some time.

Score by Periods 1 2 Total

CCSU................ 36 39 - 75
Hartford............ 40 28 - 68
Officials: Ryan Corbett, Michael Fortunato, Michael Palau
Attendance: 1269
Technical fouls: CCSU-None. HARTFORD-None.
Points in the paint: CCSU-48, HARTFORD-26. Points off turnovers: CCSU-19, HARTFORD-11.
2nd chance points: CCSU-14, HARTFORD-16. Fast break points: CCSU-4, HARTFORD-0.
Bench Points: CCSU-14, HARTFORD-5
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:21 am

Saw Donyell at the gym this morning and congratulated him. He was really beaming.

He usually just says “hello” or “good morning” but he really wanted to talk about the game.

I think he likes his position and I truly feel that his “heart” is in the right place here at CCSU.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:41 am

As expected, but still disappointed in the media, particularly the Hartford Courant.

CCSU and Hartford are separated by 10 miles along I-84 in West Hartford and New Britain. Both are D-I teams in the Capitol Region.

Hawks were raked #2 in the AE preseason poll and CCSU is led by former UConn All-American and NBA Lottery pick.

No coverage whatsoever, as far as I can tell, online or in print. How much does it cost to send a beat reporter to cover other D-I programs?

The media coverage suggests that no one really cares about these 2 teams on opening night game and I find that probably isn't true. There is a lot of history and rivalry there - and it is LOCAL story. I find the singular focus of the local media on UConn to be unbelievable - its like they are trying to sell tickets and keep UConn athletics afloat by subsidizing them with free media coverage.

Connecticut is no longer a real "Basketball State" - it is UConn or nothing - and that's a shame.

Let's not pretend that Hartford is a "major market" for sports - it isn't. It is a shell of its former self, and the only agenda for the Courant is UConn. If they had a more balanced view of the State's sports scene we wouldn't have to be fed the garbage about UConn football, the XL Center, UConn basketball, UConn hockey, Dunkin Donuts Park, UConn baseball, Geno, Hurley, Edsall, Calhoun. We don't have any teams in Hartford but UConn.

The ink spilled for UConn athletics is nauseating and honestly wish nothing but the worst for the Huskies in everything they do.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:48 am

I know this is a BB thread but JJ...I was steamed about the non coverage of the women’s soccer team. Instead, all three local TV channels broadcasted crap about Geno and the UC men’s game against Southern.

The ladies making the tourney is a huge deal but no one but people like us has a clue as to the tremendous season they are having.

I remember years ago when USA Today had CCSU on the front page with a photo of Damien Battles while on that same day, the Courant has nothing on the game but a box score. That was pretty pathetic.

We’ve been beating this poor horse for years now. The only thing we can to is let our feelings be known to the local outlets.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 am

Sky - you're 100% right.

A NCCAA Tournament for the UConn Women's Soccer teams would have received tons more coverage that what we've seen for the CCSU ladies. Its a shame.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23 am

J.J. wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:42 pm
Stat of the game for 4-3 and the blog:

3-Point Scoring
CCSU - 2 for 7 (28.6%)
UH - 9 for 25 (36%)

Blue Devils score 6 points on 7 shots (.86 points per 3-point attempt)
Hawks get 27 points on 25 shots (1.08 points per 3-point attempt)

How much does the lack of 3-point scoring hurt CCSU in the long term?
I think it will hurt a lot. They weren't GREAT offensively (1.06 PPP is around average)...they won this game on the defensive end, particularly in the 2nd half.

Turnovers and 3P shooting were a problem tonight. But when you have Tyler Kohl on your side, good things happen.

I do wonder what happens if John Carroll plays more in the 2nd half...no idea why Gallagher left him on the bench. But a win is a win.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:42 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23 am
I do wonder what happens if John Carroll plays more in the 2nd half...no idea why Gallagher left him on the bench. But a win is a win.
From my seat it looks like John had leg cramps. He was taking salt tablets and trying to stretch out his calves.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:45 pm

Maybe I don't get it all the stat logic, its a fair assumption but wasn't last night a case for the non stat side of the fence? CCSU won that game by pounding the ball inside time and again. Also, defensive intensity, every play. They simply wore them out and as someone pointed out above, once we stole their designed in bounds play, they were all done. Is the stat side saying that we should have jacked up as many threes as possible and hope we win because of that 1.08? Cause I don't think that would have happened. I think us bombing away would have resulted in miss after miss and we would have been the ones that folded. Has anyone ever seen those prove me wrong memes? I'm curious on this, not busting nards.

Regarding the paper. My line all year is going to be, what has our AD got to say about this? I'd LOVE if he would do a town hall type meeting so we can get all of the questions on the board answered. Do it in person and a Skype for those not close. Don't think I even saw him at the game last night so what does that tell you? Hoping he was somewhere CCSU related however unless it was soccer, I think he should have been at the mens opener.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:34 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:45 pm
Maybe I don't get it all the stat logic, its a fair assumption but wasn't last night a case for the non stat side of the fence? CCSU won that game by pounding the ball inside time and again. Also, defensive intensity, every play. They simply wore them out and as someone pointed out above, once we stole their designed in bounds play, they were all done. Is the stat side saying that we should have jacked up as many threes as possible and hope we win because of that 1.08? Cause I don't think that would have happened. I think us bombing away would have resulted in miss after miss and we would have been the ones that folded. Has anyone ever seen those prove me wrong memes? I'm curious on this, not busting nards.
Analytically speaking, the offense was not great. Scoring 1.06 Points Per Possession is an average performance, based on all 11,000 or so games last season. SFNY averaged 1.06 PPP in conference play last season, which was 6th highest in the league.

The point isn't that they should have jacked up threes whenever possible. It's that it will be very difficult to maintain even an average NEC offense while making just two three pointers per game (and attempting just 7).

The key to the teams success last night on the offensive end was due to offensive rebounding...they grabbed 40% of their chances. Is that something they can maintain? Maybe...but they only did that on five such occasions last season.

The best offenses rely on three pointers and layups...3 is better than 2.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Maybe this goes to a different thread but here's another one for you, do you know the percentage of 3's made in the NEC? What is that number compared to a 2 pointer? It's "easier" to make a 2 over a 3 no? I know I can probably make 9 out of 10 layups and probably 3/10 three's, but I'm old. lol

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:03 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:49 pm
Maybe this goes to a different thread but here's another one for you, do you know the percentage of 3's made in the NEC? What is that number compared to a 2 pointer? It's "easier" to make a 2 over a 3 no? I know I can probably make 9 out of 10 layups and probably 3/10 three's, but I'm old. lol
I'd argue there are three shot types, not two: three pointer, two point jumper, and layup/at the rim.

I did write about this back in April (I'll link tonight), but basically, in the NEC last season, teams shot 57% at the rim, 35% on 2P jumpers and 34.5% on threes.

That's 1.14 per attempt on layups, 0.7 on 2P jumpers, and 1.04 per 3P attempt.

Layups are the easiest to make, but also the most difficult to get (because defenders). 41% of shot attempts last season were at the rim, while 38% of shots were 3Ps (21% 2P jumpers).

Say it with me now: LAYUPS AND THREES ARE FOR ME!

Last night CCSU got a ton of shots at the rim (69% of shots) and made 58% of them. Basically average.

There's obviously no exact science. But if you look at the best shooting teams year in and year out, they get a healthy number of points from three pointers. It's the most efficient way.

Edit: and obviously making threes stretches the defense, which opens up driving lanes for layups.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Shooting 33% from three is the equivalent of shooting 50% with twos. So if your shooting 57% on twos you will score 114 points on 100 shots. At 40% of threes you will score 120 points on 100 shots But what team can shoot 40% on three? So 57% for twos is the equivalent of shooting 38% on threes. I don't think that there are many teams that are going to average 38% on threes over the course of 40 minutes.

I believe DM made a game plan thinking that UofH could not stop his interior offense and that over the course of the game it would wear them down.
That is exactly what happened. There was no doubt about what Central was doing especially in the final minutes. Kohl was a brute in final minutes. A fringe benefit of going inside is foul shots, even with a miss you might still come away with one or two points. Or better still an old fashioned three point play.

This is one game, it is premature to come to a conclusion on what this offense is going to look like against other teams. I think there will be three point shooting by Central, they have got guys that can reach or surpass the 33% threshold. Against other opponents there will probably be more balance as defenses adjust to what you are dong and in so doing that opens up other offensive opportunities.

This may very well have been nothing more than a strategy tailored to a specific opponent.